Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I'll say there is, but not if they are happening when he isn't ready.  I don't know what year your son is or his level of talent, so it may or may not apply.  There are several events that my son has said he wanted to play in some day since he was a freshman, and they are all pretty much after you commit.  They are selective events, the competition is the best in the nation, cool venues, great "stuff" ( shoes, gloves, shirts, hats, backpacks, etc.), good experience, and ultimately, exposure for the draft.  Most of these are not during the middle of the year, they are summer before senior year, but we just attended one this month in senior year.  The ones I think are worth it once you've committed (and I'm including showcases outside of PG):

PG National

PG All American

Under Armour All American

Area Code Games

PBR Super 60

To be invited to either of the PG events, he will have to have attended at least one showcase prior.  The All American is picked from the National, so it really has to be before that.  

Last edited by baseballhs

I agree with KIMB27.   There is no reason unless your son is being considered high in draft and he could increase his value.

Looking back, my son did attend PG Jupiter (after he verbally committed to an Ivy) because he had committed to his travel coach AND he wanted to see what the best talent in the country (+ a couple other countries) looked like.   My son described PG Jupiter as more golf carts per square inch than anywhere on the planet.  He was not disappointed with PG Jupiter, and walked away knowing what "draftable-out-of-high-school-talent looked like....not him!   This ended up being a waste of money, but my son wanted to keep his word to his travel coach who was instrumental in his recruiting efforts.

baseballhs posted:

I'll say there is, but not if they are happening when he isn't ready.  I don't know what year your son is or his level of talent, so it may or may not apply.  There are several events that my son has said he wanted to play in some day since he was a freshman, and they are all pretty much after you commit.  They are selective events, the competition is the best in the nation, cool venues, great "stuff" ( shoes, gloves, shirts, hats, backpacks, etc.), good experience, and ultimately, exposure for the draft.  Most of these are not during the middle of the year, they are summer before senior year, but we just attended one this month in senior year.  The ones I think are worth it once you've committed (and I'm including showcases outside of PG):

PG National

PG All American

Under Armour All American

Area Code Games

PBR Super 60

To be invited to either of the PG events, he will have to have attended at least one showcase prior.  The All American is picked from the National, so it really has to be before that.  

The only showcase that applies in the OP's case is the Super 60.  All the other events listed occur PRIOR to signing a NLI. And if you are a 2020, then NONE of them apply because the Super 60 has already happened! 

And if you are invited to the Super 60 somebody thinks you have serious draft potential.

And if you haven't signed? Yes, attend these events if you get invited and can afford it; there's no guarantee the school you committed to will give you a NLI to sign! Why attend? Because if you were invited then someone thinks you have talent and if your school dumps you perhaps someone who saw you at one of these events will pick you up. But again, only if you can afford it...

I would pass on any showcases after NLI or commitment unless you're chasing a draft slot.

Definitely don't go to a showcase or event if you're not in "showcase" form. Even if you're chasing a draft slot.

Additionally, check the NCAA Recruiting calendar, as some showcases are during Quiet periods and coaches can't be there. 

My son, 2021 RHP, committed to Georgia Tech in the fall. We asked about local travel vs national travel ball and showcases, etc. We were advised to avoid showcases but still travel to a few national events (this summer we're only doing 4) to compete against the best, be seen, and shut down after WWBA end of July. We were also advised to do Jupiter again next year as a senior. For us Jupiter was amazing. He got more looks and contacts after WWBA underclass in Ft Meyers and WWBA World Championship in Jupiter, after throwing a Perfect Game (5-3 error for final out made it a "no hitter", but he still Pitched Perfect. 11Ks and 92 mph in front of a TON of scouts and coaches. 

I would say focus on events and not showcases. They only get you a "PG Grade" and "write up".

If you're on a national travel team, with good talent, you'll see lots of scouts and plenty of chances for exposure. The national travel orgs also have great relationships and coaches on speed dial. Just saying....

As far as other showcases.... NOT A FAN of PBR. Poorly run and rushed and for 10 pitches, just wasn't worth it. They also played favorites for the PBR Futures, so that turned off a lot of us in Central Texas....

I don't get why people go to other school camps after committing or signing. These guys talk and that can't look good.

My $.02

Some of the other guys who had kids drafted out of HS might know better but I would assume if your son was under draft consideration you wouldn't need to be dropping big $ on showcases during his senior HS season. 

I know in 2019s case he was invited to free workouts and pro days but he was not game ready nor was he on many radars as anything other than a late round flyer. The showcases that were charging posted rosters with guys who were clearly not draft ready. Appeared to be money grabs. Pro teams still came to see him the spring all the way up to his last start before the draft. 

But more importantly, this is the only job for scouts. I would assume if they were reasonably interested in a player they would be at the majority of his games getting whatever info they still needed. In other words, you wouldn't need to showcase. I figure in OPs case, if her son were a slot guy (1-10 rounds) they would already know this. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.