Skip to main content

Curious what everyone is seeing in recruiting right now.  My kid's JUCO had four commit in the Fall and three more commit in the Spring.  Now it has gone quiet for some of the kids.  The few remaining are waiting on the big schools while the smaller schools are applying pressure.  I have a friend who is a D2 coach and they are hitting the portal hard.  He said with the portal they will target a lot more kids than normal.  He said the kids that wait around will be left behind because there are 15 similar kids available and they will just move to the next kid.  That's just one coaches opinion but it makes sense to me.

It seems to me that things have slowed greatly in anticipation of the players who will hit the portal over the next month.  I'm guessing there will be a surge of activity between now and up until the last few weeks before school starts back in the Fall.  Coaches that think they have their rosters determined may also be in for a surprise when they lose a few players unexpectedly to the portal.     

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I think you are correct.  There is going to be a huge churn of players at every level.

The top D3 non high academic teams (Wisconsin Whitewater for instance) might resemble more of a top D2 team, with more D1 drop downs and JUCO transfers than ever.

A big factor will be the 2021 Draft and how many top high school players will turn pro as opposed to joining already bloated SEC & ACC rosters.  Further complicating matters is the uncertainty of a new CBA looming in MLB.  

@d-mac posted:

It seems to me that things have slowed greatly in anticipation of the players who will hit the portal over the next month.  I'm guessing there will be a surge of activity between now and up until the last few weeks before school starts back in the Fall.  Coaches that think they have their rosters determined may also be in for a surprise when they lose a few players unexpectedly to the portal.     

Just curious about this comment about the surge of activity up until the last few weeks before school.  What schools can get students accepted to attend that late?  Do P5 baseball schools just have that pull with admissions.  Perhaps it won't work at higher academic D1's but there are probably plenty of D1 schools that take regular students that late too?  I suspect that the last question I asked is accurate.

Last edited by Gunner Mack Jr.

Getting accepted into a P5 is a 95% easier than any other.  The coach calls admission and says I have offered this kid and he's going to accept.  What do I need to help you do to accept him into school?  Unless grades are horrible or some other huge travesty it is a done deal.  I would say it is the same at most D1 non high academic schools and even the HA's, the HC has a certain number of exceptions so as long as he has not burnt his exceptions it is good to go.

@d-mac posted:

Joe Blow off the streets can transfer to most state schools in August. I looked up a few schools around us and there is an August 1st deadline at one school and another doesn't even open up to transfers until August 1st.   

I wouldn't have ever known honestly.  I looked at the biggest state school in my state (UCONN) and the deadline is May 1st but I bet the coach has pull.  However, I just looked at others and you are right June 1st or one, August 13th for fall transfers at two others.   

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.