Skip to main content

My son is a 2024, primarily a catcher and middle infielder.  His high school team is very young with just a few upperclassman so he will be playing everywhere in the fall and likely in the spring as well. On his summer and travel  teams he is a catcher primarily.       He’s doing all of the things that he should be doing from the weight room to position specific training outside of team practices.

He is starting the recruiting process and we’re putting together video for RC contact and follow up from the college showcases that he’s started to attend.  I want to keep the video short and concise, but would it make sense to include footage from his other positions too, i.e. OF fielding, throwing and metrics?

Might be a silly question, as I’m sure that the RC’s can see the athleticism from his primary positions.  We’re in Florida and we’re starting to see 2024’s “commit” so there is a focus getting it right the first time.  

A few things that are relevant.  Just turned 15 last month.  5’10”, 140 so he lacks the physical maturity of some of his peers, but is working hard to improve the visuals.  Sub 2 pop time, soft hands and ++blocking.  Low 80’s off the mound with solid command of three pitches.  Quick feet, fluid and solid range in the middle.  High baseball IQ and a good leader. Dedicated and loves the work to improve and develop.  He’s putting in 15 hours a week of work outside of team practices to improve metrics and skills.  3.9 GPA with SAT prep starting in November and in a computer science program in HS.  10 months removed from OCD surgery on his throwing elbow.  

It’s all a little overwhelming with the early commits, transfer portal full of experienced players and his first run at being recruited.

Thanks in advance for your input and experience.  

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

You've been waiting a bit for a response so I thought I'd pipe up so you're not hanging.   Personally I wouldn't worry about the 2024 early commits that your son is playing with.  He's his own man and I suspect quite a few of these early verbal commits will change before it is all said/done.   

The guidance I've heard is to keep a video around 2 minutes if possible.   But might be a challenge with all his skills.   I think upto 3 minutes is OK if you keep it moving.   Throwing low 80's as an early 15 y.o is quite good.  Are you sure he's not a pitcher? 

I'd say the thing that you could leave out is outfield stuff.  I'm going to redo my sons video myself.  Here's what I think:

1)  Intro sequence.   Maybe have him talk, introducing himself.   And/Or have slides with his picture, school, travel team, metrics, grades, awards. 

2)  Hitting.  3 side view.  3 from behind in a tunnel showing him drive the ball into the backscreen. Embed some exit velos from trackman or pocket radar? 

3)  Catching.  A bunch of blocks, frames, throws.  Maybe try to get embedded timed pop times onto the screen.

4)  Infield work from the field.   from SS spot.  3 straight on,  2 backhands, 2 forehands,  slow roller.  Then show 2-3 throws from behind him to first base. 

5)  We put in his 60 yard dash.  Used an app called Seconds Count on a football field to show a legit time. 

6)  Honestly, if he throws low 80s at 15, I'd probably take out the 60 and show some pitches, again embedding pocket radar velos. 

Just my opinion.  Good luck!  Sounds like quite the player and student!

For my pitcher/outfielder we sent out short pitching AND short hitting videos. Kept them separate, 30 secs to a minute each with a link to his YouTube channel that had longer stuff.

One video got more attention than others: when he stared down a batter from the archrival HS with a top of the zone fastball. A WHOLE lotta chirping going on from both teams. Their ace kept pretending his hand was a pistol and would blow on his index finger every time he k'd someone (which he did annoyingly often). When our guys would get a hit or walk they'd run down to first talking to the first base (opposing team) dugout the whole way. It was "lit" as the boys say.

My point is if you can get some game video which shows some competitive intensity it will  get attention.

I think you need to figure out what level to target and what your expectations are. The 2024’s committing right now have schools coming after them. 5’10”, 140 isn’t going to jump off the page to D1 coaches and D3 coaches are just now turning their attention to 2023.

I’m not saying don’t put a video together and start the process, but I would be sure to set expectations that you likely won’t hear anything for a while.

I’m sure there is already a thread on pointers for recruitment video, but was hoping for some fresh takes, given the current situation with the transfer portal full.  It was my understanding that position players aren’t really pursued until junior year.  I get that the “studs” will come of the table early, but we’re seeing just good players start to announce.  

@TerribleBPthrower Agreed on the eye test problem.  As I mentioned, he has time for a little more height and to fill out being a young sophomore.  That’s why the plan was to attend the smaller camps, with a push to the PG/PBR showcases his Junior/Senior summers.  Absolutely open to playing at any level so the net will be cast fairly wide for awhile.  

He attended his first D1 camp last month and played it a little safer than he should but still did well.  Feedback was good and helpful.  Scored out as current D2 prospect on their scale.  Not surprising, but not locking in as gospel just yet.  Sample size is small but he has a multi school coming up with D1-Juco in attendance so we wanted to have our ducks in a row for follow up.  Also, these things highlight just one position so wanted the short video to highlight his versatility.  

@smokeminside Great idea on the break up of videos.  That may make a lot of sense in my sons situation.  Should be able to get a couple 30 second clips of a few of his secondary positions without overwhelming.  I know these guys get a ton of video and most probably go unwatched.  

@Dadbelly2023 Also helpful.  Thank you.  Not really a pitcher anymore due the injury and arm slot differential of his primary and secondary positions.  Definitely doesn’t project well as a pitcher as he’ll probably top out at 6’.  Pitched for the first time in well over a year and shut down a power program for the first three innings, near perfect, 0 hits and walks, with a HB that was quickly picked off.  Much better than I expected as he hasn’t worked on pitching at all since before his injury aside from his throwing program.  Fun to watch as I’ve missed it.  

Thanks again for the input.  

What do his travel coaches say?  If they know about recruiting, you should follow their guidance (keeping in mind that they may tell you he projects higher to keep you paying for their team).  Do they think he should be doing all these showcases, PBR/PG, etc.?

You can waste a lot of money chasing numbers with PBR or PG showcases, although if his catcher pop time is reliably below 2.0, then one might be worth it.

Scored out as current D2 prospect on their scale.cored out as current D2 prospect on their scale.

There’s a missing word in this sentence … potential.

When my kids went through the process I figured whatever level the experts viewed them as they were likely a fit for one notch lower and had the potential to reach what was being said about them.

I’m not saying he can’t be a D2 player or even a D1. What I’m saying is listen very carefully and think through the interpretation of what’s being said. Some parents hear what they want to prefer to be true rather than what’s genuinely being said. This said, always keep pushing through the perceived ceiling. Continue to get bigger, faster, stronger and improve the skills. Some players push farther up than expectations.

Keep in mind his travel coaches will know him better than anyone scoring him at these events. Metrics can vary from event to event. His coaches see him all the time.

Last edited by RJM

@anotherparent We’re not really leaning on the travel coaches right now.  He plays for two teams and neither are really much help at the moment outside of playing time.  

His summer team is part of a large, respected organization. Probably 12-15 classed teams.  He was recovering from surgery during tryouts last January so they found him a home on their 2024 C/D team.  Different coach every game so they didn’t really know him until the end of the summer and they didn’t advocate for anyone below the B team as far as I could tell.  A lot of good things with the program, but communication isn’t one of them.  Figure we’ll cross that bridge when he makes one of the A or B teams hopefully this winter.  They know the drill and size matters so they aren’t going to spend much time on the undersized guys as far as I can tell.  

His second team is kind of a start up with a really good, young coach but he’s not connected enough to be much help yet.  He joined the coaching staff of a good sized HS in our area so that should change.  

HS coach has a lot of holes to fill so he’ll be using my son as a utility starter.  We have another solid sophomore catcher that he is big on and will promote, but he attended a PG showcase over the summer and pretty much flopped.  Longer story there, but no need to rehash.  He’s at his school for the computer science program not for baseball.

We are leaning on his trainers who are connected and have green lit showcases.  I’ve chosen the smaller school specific showcases based my research, conversations and input here.  Only spending $100-200 per and will do 3-4 before the year is over.  The idea is to get in front of the schools now to hopefully get on the radar with the intention of returning next year bigger and stronger. My son did get an invite to a hitting camp following his showcase with the D1 but not sure if it’s worth pursuing.  Could be a money grab or an indication of some interest but I don’t know.  I won’t drop the bigger money on PG/PBR’s until it makes sense.

Our situation is less than perfect with all of the moving parts and timing of the injury.  Just trying to control what we can, get him seen and help him grow his game.  As far as the travel programs are concerned, I only look to them for high level competition for my son.  If he gets more then that is fantastic.  

Thanks for the input.  I truly helps the navigation.  

If he's not a 2024 that has interest right now such that he'll commit in the next 1-12 weeks, I think patience might be the first item on the to do list.  I completely understand wanting to get going considering Covid, the transfer portal, etc, but at 5'10" 140, this feels like cart before the horse to me.  It can be frustrating to get fed the cliche "focus on getting bigger, stronger, faster" deal right now, but that honestly is where all the focus should be in my mind.  Assuming he's not an elite "wave 1" type recruit.

Everybody is always looking for an edge and that's great.  But it could be the case that your son isn't ready to find and utilize an edge outside of improving his body and performance at this point.  My fear is that focusing on video right now runs the risk of doing more harm than good.  Yes, working on video right now will make you FEEL better initially because it'll feel like forward movement and that you're making use of the time, getting ahead, etc.  But those warm fuzzies can soon sour and stress you/your son out when responses/interest doesn't come from them.  Believe me when I say that there is a LOT of stress in your future.  It comes with the territory and is best to put off for a while.  Recruiting is a marathon; not a sprint.  But many find it hard to buy into that at the starting line.  All just my 2 cents.

@RJM  I agree with absolutely everything you are saying.  I don’t think my kid is a D1 prospect or potential prospect at this point.  If they said he was, I wouldn’t believe and it wouldn’t change a thing in his preparation for playing at the next or current level.  Honestly, I’d prefer that he go to a smaller school at the D2 or lower level as I would imagine he would have an opportunity to play sooner all things held constant.  From HS on up, everyone loves the monsters.  My kid is not and will not be a monster and that’s fine by me.  Some schools will pass on him and that is also fine.  The camp was helpful, as it was his first and a good opportunity to perform, see his competition and motivate.  We did get feedback that was constructive.  He had a very open stance at the showcase.  They mentioned it and at his next hitting session, he cut it in half and has had great success with it.  

I’d love to hear your input on the below:

My sons team plays in a 16U local tournament.  No scouts, no radar nothing like that.  His team is full of 14-15 year olds playing up.  A bunch of nobody’s but solid players all around.  A big organization brings in two teams.  A team has 4 D1 commits and a bunch of high follows.  B team brings in a PO, D1 commit, top 5 pitcher in the state of Florida according to PG and tops out at 89.  
We draw the the A team in pool play and lose 3-2.  My son got the start as he’s been chomping at the bit to get back on the mound.  Pitched 4 innings K’s 4 (3 backwards) 2HB (box is gone at this point, and they have their toes on the plate) 1BB, 2 hits, (both singles) gives up 3ER in the fourth to take the L.  Keep in mind, he’s a C and hasn’t even had as much as a pen in a year in a half, but nearly perfect through 3 and ends with 58 pitches.  They should have trounced us with all that talent.  Semifinal, we draw team B with the top flight PO.  This kid is a monster and very much looks the part that the scouts salivate over.  He can’t find the zone to save his life.  When he does find the zone, he’s hammered.  Makes it 1/3 and gives up 5ER. We run rule them 11-1 in the 5th.  Now we go on to play the A team again in the final.  Studs show up looking big as ever. Team B sticks around and joins team A in the dugout for the game.  We’re out of pitching as a couple of our horses are sick.  We put another catcher on the bump and he keeps it close even though he rarely pitches.  Third catcher comes in the 6th with the game tied 4-4.  I see him warming up and know him from the little league days and I ask him the last time he pitched.  “11U.”  We both chuckle and I tell him to have fun.  He gets touched up as he’s got 1 pitch and can throw strikes and we lose to the monsters 8-4.  My son catches this game, frames up plenty, throws out two of three stealing and back picks another two.  The best part, constant trash talk from the two elite teams, to the point where the umpire finally gives them a warning.  I’m cool with chatter as long as it’s not personal, but it was every bit of personal for the entirety of the game.  So some of these kids have real character issues, even went so far as to trash talk my son on social media after he posted his pitching performance.  He didn’t call anyone out or name anyone, just put something out that he was proud of.  

In short, my son and I are very aware of the challenges ahead.  It’s highly possible that he will never have the opportunity that some of yours have had.  While I appreciate your candor, I don’t really understand it.  Many college coaches will look past him in favor of the monsters.  Absolutely fine by me as well.  I’d be willing to bet dollars to doughnuts that the  coach that might take a flyer on him will be glad he did.  Again, I agree with everything you said and appreciate it but was wondering about thoughts on recruiting film.

Ok.  So to be clear, the recommendation of many of you is that he not attend college camps?  He should not be receiving feedback from college coaches or RC’s that that could potentially benefit his training and development?  Are you aware that the exact roadmap that we are on is posted on this site as well as others? Current pop times and height are equal to or better than the suggested for D2 catchers @ his current 15 years old.  The assumption is that he won’t physically mature over and benefit from the weight room and diet over the next few years?  He’s already out lifting his 6’2” 170lb C counterpart.

USF just “committed” to a 2024 C that is 5’10”, 160lb C with a PG posted +2.0 pop time a week ago.  

We are literally doing things recommend by other top posters from another post on this site.  Here I’m looking to fine tune an actual plan and I’m being told that the plan is wrong.  Color me super confused.

My thoughts on the games, if you are going to post something on social that involves another team or player, you better be ready for some trash talk. I've seen kids post a video of them getting a hit and then the pitcher tags them in a video of him striking the batter out.

Get that completely and fine with it, just surprised with all the character talk that it’s happening.  

You haven't said much about hitting. He could be Molina behind the plate, but if he can't hit he isn't going to get the attention of a college coach. At least not at 140. Have you seen the USF kid hit? Do you know anything about his travel org? The eye test on a kid at 160 compared to 140 can be huge. I've seen kids committed to big time P5 schools that I know my son is much better than defensively. But they can all mash.

I personally think it is a great idea for a kid to do a camp or 2 their sophomore year. It lets them get comfortable in the setting and maybe even get some good feedback on areas to improve before they matter. I don't agree with doing camps the fall of sophomore year with the intent of being recruited.

Bottom line is right now a few schools are wrapping up 2022, most schools are turning to 2023, and the top programs are cherry picking the 2024 studs. It is difficult to compare your kids measurables to a current year player on the PG site. I saw a RHP that was committed to a top ACC program and PG had him listed at 5'9" 150. My son's team played them in the spring and he was easily 6'-6'3" and 200+.

I am not against your son attending college camps, but what your son will get out of camps is important to know going in.  Over the last 2ish years, my son has done about 15 camps/showcases.  The value he got out of them was all over the place, but I will say this.  My kid now is 100% comfortable every time he goes to one and performs exactly as he expects to going in.  And that comes from one thing - experience doing them.  So doing camps now (the cheaper, the better at this point) can prepare your son for future camps when they will matter.  As far as getting feedback from college coaches?  That's a bit of white whale.  If you're spending time and money on camps to get good feedback, you're likely to be disappointed.

If you're looking at charts that use numbers and say your son is already at D2 levels, prepare yourself for disappointment.  Every number from my son's height to his velos to his 60s, etc place him firmly in the "High D1/Elite Juco" arena according to those charts.  He's a couple months in now at a strong, but not elite Juco.  Didn't get any D1 offers let alone any from a "High D1."  I'd also STRONGLY caution against comparing your son to any of his counterparts.  It never ceases to amaze me how many players/parents look at other kids and what offers they got and then use them as benchmarks.  Those players/parents OFTEN end up dumbfounded that they didn't end up with the same spoils.  Charts and peers are fine to use to get a ball park idea, but don't treat them any deeper than that.  Ball parks are VERY big.

"USF just “committed” to a 2024 C that is 5’10”, 160lb C with a PG posted +2.0 pop time a week ago."  With all due respect, you're best to bury this mindset immediately.  Over the next 1-3 years, you will see hundreds of kids commit to places that don't seem to make to sense to you or that will lead you to conclude certain things for your son.  It's cancer.  You'll understand once your son is committed, but every kid's journey is different and specific to him.  If you're trying to duplicate someone's recruiting path, be prepared for disappointment.  Each one is unique.  I can't easily think of one other player whose path was just like my son's.  Just pieces here and there.

Lastly, your son is a 2024.  You are a LONG ways away from fine tuning any plan as you said above.  90%+ of players begin fine tuning late in their junior years and as rising seniors.  I know lots of 2022s that just began fine tuning in the last 1-2 months.

Last edited by DanJ

“Again, I agree with everything you said and appreciate it but was wondering about thoughts on recruiting film.”

I would file this under “if you want specific answers, ask specific questions”.  You asked for feedback on creating recruiting videos but went on to include a ton of details about your son and his abilities that would invite all kinds of conjecture about other aspects of his recruitment.  

“We are literally doing things recommend by other top posters from another post on this site.  Here I’m looking to fine tune an actual plan and I’m being told that the plan is wrong.  Color me super confused.”

You assume that everyone here agrees on one specific template for recruiting.  There are some universal truths, some strong opposing opinions and some outright bad information to be found on this and any every other site and those academic notions about how to get recruited will apply in varying degrees depending on your son’s projected college level.

There is no sure fire template that one can just plug their kid into then refine.  Also, whatever plan you start with today will likely look nothing like the plan you are using the day he gets an offer.  This process is fluid, chaotic, confusing, madening, heartbreaking and joyous….sometimes all in the same day😉

You are doing the right thing by asking people that have been through it but you will never get perfect answers.  You just have to take what feedback you feel is useful, ignore the rest (sometimes to your detriment even if you don’t realize it until later) and constantly adjust.

If you've been told your son projects as a D2 player, then his recruiting summer will be 2023.  College camps primarily serve to make money for unpaid assistant coaches.  Sure, you might get some good feedback on training, and you will get practice with the format, and they might be fun - it can be worth the money, but don't count on it.  So, figure out how much money you want to spend.

@Nick0977 posted:
His summer team is part of a large, respected organization. Probably 12-15 classed teams.  He was recovering from surgery during tryouts last January so they found him a home on their 2024 C/D team.  Different coach every game so they didn’t really know him until the end of the summer and they didn’t advocate for anyone below the B team as far as I could tell.  A lot of good things with the program, but communication isn’t one of them.  Figure we’ll cross that bridge when he makes one of the A or B teams hopefully this winter.  They know the drill and size matters so they aren’t going to spend much time on the undersized guys as far as I can tell.  

Large organizations have an interest in getting their players recruited to the highest possible level, because then they can advertise that.  At the same time, they will destroy their credibility if they promote players who are not worthy.  So, if they "didn't advocate for anyone below the B team," that is an indication of where they think their players fit.  You should be able to trust that they will do what is needed, whenever the time comes; unfortunately, they don't usually tell parents that 2024s who are not top D1 won't need to be promoted until 17U.  

As a D3 parent, I'm somewhat cynical of the baseball industry, but I liked our organization, and we had good experiences generally.  But we also knew many families who got impatient with the process.  At the end of 17U summer, the organization head said to me, "I've got 20 pitchers topping at 85, what are these parents expecting?"

Eventually, we started running camp invitations past our organization head, and he would tell us not to do them if he didn't think it was appropriate.

Nick …The most heavily recruited player on my son’s travel team was the least successful in college. He accepted an offer from a top ranked team. When the kid signed his NLI the coach said it could be his best recruit ever.  For three years the kid played his way out of the lineup by conference play Opening Day.

When this kid took the field he would have been voted “most likely to be a MLB ball player.” Josh Hamilton is my physical visual of the perfect ball player build. This kid was built like Hamilton in his junior year of high school. When he hit the ball he had “ooh-ah” metrics. He had a great arm. He had better than average recruitable speed.

My son was recruited for 17u teams while playing 16u as a 14u eligible with his May birthday. At the time he was 5’11” 135. Despite his build he had quality metrics for that size. I’m 6’1”. I played college ball. His mother is 5’8”. His sister was a college (at the time) softball player was 5’10”. So the travel teams and scouts looked at the talent and saw a kid who would continue to grow and fill out. Once again, we’re back to projection.

What your son is going to experience is how the metrics match up crossed with physical potential. Unfortunately, he’s often going to lose out to players with similar skills and better size. Stats aren’t that important.

There are thirty-five players on a D1 team. D2 and D3 sometimes have more. Only 18-20 are going to play enough to impact the season. It allows recruiting coaches to take some chances on the hard thrower with no movement who gets smacked around. You can’t teach velocity (past a certain point). You can teach movement. If the kid doesn’t figure out movement will be gone within two years. Next man up. Coaches only have to have about a 50% success rate to be successful recruiters. If they bring in fourteen and seven work out it’s a good recruiting year.

Due to the bias it’s important to be fishing in the right pond to avoid wasting time and money.

Last edited by RJM

@TerribleBPthrower We know the organization well as my son played with them in 13U.  They definitely have connections at the airport.  A lot of the coaches are connected to the Yankees.  EV from the 2021 showcase was 81 for the committed player.  I stand corrected on his size though,  5’11” and 175 and makes a lot more sense.  Don’t get me wrong, really happy for him and I hope it works out.  

My son hits well.  Led his summer team and hit right around .400 through PG, PBR and ICB tourney play.  Hit .532 in 16U play into the fall (just 11 games).  He’s a classic 2 or 5 hole hitter, low K’s high contact and is focused on line drives to all fields.  One of the comments from the college showcase was that he “finds barrels well.”  Definitely not feeding the trees though.  

I know my posts are wordy because I’ve learned from previous posts that a lot of information is implied if it’s not provided, but we aren’t expecting substantial interests from schools at this point.  Just looking for feedback from the staff.  Best case, they keep an eye on him for future camps or tournaments.  I also have read that it can be helpful to notify a school that may be interested of future events.  Adding current visual skills can only help the school if they are interested.  Hence, the original question.  Thats it.  I’ve read some posts here and elsewhere about 2022’s that got late starts and are struggling to play catch-up.  Just don’t want him in that boat.  Again, this process is overwhelming and this site has been helpful in the past just looking for help refining things from those that have had success helping their son or daughter in the past.  

For those that insist on telling me how hard it is for a kid to play college ball at any level is extremely difficult, pease understand that I get it.  If we can make our way past that, I think it will be more productive for everyone.  

Mookie Betts - 5th rounder, 5’10”

Jose Altuve - not drafted, 5’6”

Dustin Pedroia - second round 5’8”

Mike Trout - 25th pick overall

Tom Brady - 6th round GOAT

* not implying that my kid is Mike Trout or any of the others

@DanJ posted:

I am not against your son attending college camps, but what your son will get out of camps is important to know going in.  Over the last 2ish years, my son has done about 15 camps/showcases.  The value he got out of them was all over the place, but I will say this.  My kid now is 100% comfortable every time he goes to one and performs exactly as he expects to going in.  And that comes from one thing - experience doing them.  So doing camps now (the cheaper, the better at this point) can prepare your son for future camps when they will matter.  As far as getting feedback from college coaches?  That's a bit of white whale.  If you're spending time and money on camps to get good feedback, you're likely to be disappointed.

You mentioned this in a previous post and partially why my son is doing them, so thank you.   So far the feedback has been helpful.  I fully understand that results may vary.  Next one is a multi school format, it will be interesting to see how it goes as far as communication is concerned.   

"USF just “committed” to a 2024 C that is 5’10”, 160lb C with a PG posted +2.0 pop time a week ago."  With all due respect, you're best to bury this mindset immediately.  Over the next 1-3 years, you will see hundreds of kids commit to places that don't seem to make to sense to you or that will lead you to conclude certain things for your son.  It's cancer.  You'll understand once your son is committed, but every kid's journey is different and specific to him.  If you're trying to duplicate someone's recruiting path, be prepared for disappointment.  Each one is unique.  I can't easily think of one other player whose path was just like my son's.  Just pieces here and there.

Completely understand.  I just found it odd that a profile like this was so quick to go.  He is a bit bigger than I thought though.  Happy for him and hope it works out. 

Lastly, your son is a 2024.  You are a LONG ways away from fine tuning any plan as you said above.  90%+ of players begin fine tuning late in their junior years and as rising seniors.  I know lots of 2022s that just began fine tuning in the last 1-2 months.

Agreed, just trying to use his time wisely and effectively.  Regardless of the outcome he did get to catch and receive feeds for throwdowns from a D1 coach.  That doesn't happen every day.  I'm also positive he was seen by the coach. 

@22and25 posted:

“Again, I agree with everything you said and appreciate it but was wondering about thoughts on recruiting film.”

I would file this under “if you want specific answers, ask specific questions”.  You asked for feedback on creating recruiting videos but went on to include a ton of details about your son and his abilities that would invite all kinds of conjecture about other aspects of his recruitment.  

Not my first rodeo or post.  A lot of times people have had questions for greater understanding of what I was looking for.  Some have been just plain argumentative.  All good either way, as a few have provided insight that was helpful.  That's a win in my book.

“We are literally doing things recommend by other top posters from another post on this site.  Here I’m looking to fine tune an actual plan and I’m being told that the plan is wrong.  Color me super confused.”

You assume that everyone here agrees on one specific template for recruiting.  There are some universal truths, some strong opposing opinions and some outright bad information to be found on this and any every other site and those academic notions about how to get recruited will apply in varying degrees depending on your son’s projected college level.

No, you assume that I mean everyone.  "Other top posters" does not imply everyone.  Someone else mentioned the multiple variables that go into each recruiting decision.  The process that my son and I are going though should provide some much needed feedback that will help guide us to the desired destination of schools that are both interested in my son an a fit for his academic plans.  Or maybe not, but we have to start somewhere. 

There is no sure fire template that one can just plug their kid into then refine.  Also, whatever plan you start with today will likely look nothing like the plan you are using the day he gets an offer.  This process is fluid, chaotic, confusing, madening, heartbreaking and joyous….sometimes all in the same day😉

This post is a great example of what I think you're talking about. 

You are doing the right thing by asking people that have been through it but you will never get perfect answers.  You just have to take what feedback you feel is useful, ignore the rest (sometimes to your detriment even if you don’t realize it until later) and constantly adjust.

I don't have all of the answers, but I'm glad that I've found a group of people willing to share their experiences.  Mistakes will be made, just trying to minimize and learn from them.

If you've been told your son projects as a D2 player, then his recruiting summer will be 2023.  College camps primarily serve to make money for unpaid assistant coaches.  Sure, you might get some good feedback on training, and you will get practice with the format, and they might be fun - it can be worth the money, but don't count on it.  So, figure out how much money you want to spend.

A lot of people pay for experiences.  Some take lavish trips or buy sports cars.  I prefer to pay to be present for my sons to chase their dreams.  At his first college showcase he caught and played short on a perfectly manicured D1 field.  If you were to poll this group, I'm quite sure most would agree that it won't happen for him post high school.  I was able to tour the facilities and see the extravagance that the players receive, including but not limited to tutoring, meal plans and a killer training facility.  We both had a great time and it was a nice carrot for all of shared long days of training and driving.  He left smiling and motivated.  Worth the price of admission for me anyway.

Large organizations have an interest in getting their players recruited to the highest possible level, because then they can advertise that.  At the same time, they will destroy their credibility if they promote players who are not worthy.  So, if they "didn't advocate for anyone below the B team," that is an indication of where they think their players fit.  You should be able to trust that they will do what is needed, whenever the time comes; unfortunately, they don't usually tell parents that 2024s who are not top D1 won't need to be promoted until 17U.  

I couldn't agree more.  The fact that they took him on after nothing more than a few swings at their facility lined with the hundred or so pictures of current and past college commits spoke volumes to me.  At the end of the day, he received exactly what they committed to and he needed, playing time against solid competition.  We'll have much more clarity after the tryout for next summer.  If he doesn't look or play the part, it's highly likely that he'll be relegated to the C or D team again.  We'll have to cross that bridge when he gets there.

As a D3 parent, I'm somewhat cynical of the baseball industry, but I liked our organization, and we had good experiences generally.  But we also knew many families who got impatient with the process.  At the end of 17U summer, the organization head said to me, "I've got 20 pitchers topping at 85, what are these parents expecting?"

We're on the same page on a lot of this.  A lot of people forget that it's a business and they are selling a product.  We've moved around a bit from organization to organization for various reasons.  Many would say it was lack of loyalty, but for me it was always value proposition.  If I'm driving round trip two hours, they are going to need offer substantially better training for my son than the group ten minutes down the road.  Eventually I realized that they are all pretty similar.  Now I pay for tournaments and completion.  We built a team of trainers and coaches for his development that we work with directly on what's most important.  All are indoors so no rainouts.  This is a common problem in Florida.  It's more expensive, but we're also rarely disappointed.   

Eventually, we started running camp invitations past our organization head, and he would tell us not to do them if he didn't think it was appropriate.

I'm having to do a little trial an error on this one.  As the program gets to know my son better, I'll lean on them a little more for this, but for now I think I have a handle on it.  We currently have 28 schools that fit his criteria for academic program and baseball at various divisions.  Some are likely never going to be a fit so we will expand.  I've found that most have a structured "showcase" website.  The smaller schools typically aggregate into multiple school showcases like the one he's attending this weekend.

Thanks for the input and congrats to your son. 

@RJM posted:

Nick …The most heavily recruited player on my son’s travel team was the least successful in college. He accepted an offer from a top ranked team. When the kid signed his NLI the coach said it could be his best recruit ever.  For three years the kid played his way out of the lineup by conference play Opening Day.

When this kid took the field he would have been voted “most likely to be a MLB ball player.” Josh Hamilton is my physical visual of the perfect ball player build. This kid was built like Hamilton in his junior year of high school. When he hit the ball he had “ooh-ah” metrics. He had a great arm. He had better than average recruitable speed.

My son was recruited for 17u teams while playing 16u as a 14u eligible with his May birthday. At the time he was 5’11” 135. Despite his build he had quality metrics for that size. I’m 6’1”. I played college ball. His mother is 5’8”. His sister was a college (at the time) softball player was 5’10”. So the travel teams and scouts looked at the talent and saw a kid who would continue to grow and fill out. Once again, we’re back to projection.

What your son is going to experience is how the metrics match up crossed with physical potential. Unfortunately, he’s often going to lose out to players with similar skills and better size. Stats aren’t that important.

There are thirty-five players on a D1 team. D2 and D3 sometimes have more. Only 18-20 are going to play enough to impact the season. It allows recruiting coaches to take some chances on the hard thrower with no movement who gets smacked around. You can’t teach velocity (past a certain point). You can teach movement. If the kid doesn’t figure out movement will be gone within two years. Next man up. Coaches only have to have about a 50% success rate to be successful recruiters. If they bring in fourteen and seven work out it’s a good recruiting year.

Due to the bias it’s important to be fishing in the right pond to avoid eating time and money.

I really appreciate this.  The first college showcase we went to was more of convenance than anything else.  More getting his feet wet.  We have the luxury of a little time and disposable income to potentially out kick our coverage for now.  I know a lot of kids are thinking D1 or bust.  That’s not the way either of us feel.  He wants to play the game as long as it will let him and he works his butt off willingly to do just that.  I’d love for him to have the college athlete experience while earning an education that will allow him to enjoy his life.  We’ve been around a lot of baseball for a long time and few players posses his work ethic.  Many are bigger and stronger, but he’s on a path to level the playing field in due time.  He has a great support system that is dedicated to his growth as a player and a man.  We record everything for various reasons and the one thing I recall more often than not when reviewing film is the cheers of other parents and total strangers applauding his play.  He’s loved by teammates for his fiery play.  Never had a coach that didn’t like him to my knowledge.  Barring an injury I’m confident he’ll be given an opportunity to play somewhere.  It’s just a matter of working his plan, making adjustments and finding the right place.  Thanks again.  You’ve been very helpful on several posts and I truly appreciate it.  

@RJM posted:

Nick … A good travel program has contacts and presells players to college coaches before events. Your son needs an advocate. He doesn’t want to be tossing spaghetti off the wall to see what sticks. Players are presold more than discovered.

@Nick0977, the above advice by RJM is spot on. The right advocate will do more good for your son than any recruiting video you could ever make. Lots of coaches don’t even look at them.

@adbono posted:

@Nick0977, the above advice by RJM is spot on. The right advocate will do more good for your son than any recruiting video you could ever make. Lots of coaches don’t even look at them.

Agreed.  Tryouts this for summer in January.  He’ll have to work his way up to the A or B team.  He’s new to the organization and will need to perform there for the love.  Great advice and received.  

Given that he is and will be attending camps, just want him to be able to follow up with the best possible visual attached.  Also not going to put all of our eggs in one basket.  Even though emails are probably crummy eggs.  

Anyone have success using game footage over skills video?  

I record game footage. I use a fence mounted GoPro so anything outside of the infield is useless, but really does a good job of capturing framing, blocking and throw outs. If your son or daughter is a catcher and you haven’t watched a game from their perspective, it’s an eye opening experience.  Good technique, especially with pulls and framing has a huge impact on the game as I’m sure you all already know.  

@Consultant posted:

Knowledge of the game. Why, what, when, where and how
question, can a hitter smell the wood bat burning after swing and foul contact?

Bob

I’m a fan of my sons game for sure.  Though his play and work, I’ve become a student of the position.  When I watch a MLB or college game, I get more excited about a filthy pull than I do a 450’ bomb.  
Love watching Vandy games for this reason alone.  Rodriguez is as filthy as they come in my opinion.  

To answer your question.  Absolutely.  The intangibles, knowledge and baseball IQ are all there.  Much smarter baseball people than myself love working with and having him catch for them.  He’s vocal and controls the game.  

Thank you all again.  My son has a 30 school Showcase tomorrow.  Different than the first one, so results may vary, but I do think he should follow up with an email and skills video afterward knowing full well that it’s not likely going to make a huge impact on his process.  Just hoping that some of the little things will make an impact in the long run.  

A side note, a big time 2025 committed yesterday to a legitimate D1.  The schools are clearly not messing around.  Crazy to me that a kid is all locked up for college before setting foot on the HS field.  

I think you need to figure out what level to target and what your expectations are. The 2024’s committing right now have schools coming after them. 5’10”, 140 isn’t going to jump off the page to D1 coaches and D3 coaches are just now turning their attention to 2023.

I’m not saying don’t put a video together and start the process, but I would be sure to set expectations that you likely won’t hear anything for a while.

100% agree with this ^^ as well as other comments.  Your son has to figure out the WHAT before you start working on the HOW and WHO.  College baseball is a large and ever changing universe.  Figure out what your son wants to get out of his 4-5 years of college then (realistically) proceed to those programs and coaches that can provide it.  Everybody has a tendency when they start out at this to "boil the ocean" and contact as many RCs and HCs as possible.  My son, wife and I were guilty of this as well until his travel coach showed us the way based on what my son wanted to do.  Knowing what you want to do during and after college is half the battle.   Then you have to find the best fit which is a lot harder than it sounds.   Just because you think it is the best fit doesn't make it so.   You have to convince RCs, HCs and Admissions.  So, attend multiple camps, and local inexpensive showcases to get started as you are doing.   You'll soon realize how overwhelming this is and the WHAT, HOW and WHO questions will fly off the keyboard.

JMO.

@Nick0977 posted:

Thank you all again.  My son has a 30 school Showcase tomorrow.  Different than the first one, so results may vary, but I do think he should follow up with an email and skills video afterward knowing full well that it’s not likely going to make a huge impact on his process.  Just hoping that some of the little things will make an impact in the long run.  

A side note, a big time 2025 committed yesterday to a legitimate D1.  The schools are clearly not messing around.  Crazy to me that a kid is all locked up for college before setting foot on the HS field.  

If the 2025 proceeds to develop both he and the college win. If the 2025 doesn’t proceed to develop fall of senior year at NLI signing time the coach will say to the 2025, “Here at Northwest Baseball State we keep our word. We will honor our offer. But, I don’t see you ever getting on the field for us.”

What do you think happens then? Who has everything to win and nothing to lose with a very early commit? If a 2025 is in demand now imagine how in demand he will be in a year or two assuming he continues to develop. The only reason to commit this early is if the kid is physically developed, has more physical development in the tank (he’s a top prospect) and it’s his dream school.

Girls physically develop sooner. My daughter had offers flooding in the summer after freshman year. Fortunately she knew what she wanted for a major. At that age most kids don’t know what they want for lunch. Still, she never spent a day working in the field of her major.

Last edited by RJM
@RJM posted:

If the 2025 proceeds to develop both he and the college win. If the 2025 doesn’t proceed to develop fall of senior year at NLI signing time the coach will say to the 2025, “Here at Northwest Baseball State we keep our word. We will honor our offer. But, I don’t see you ever getting on the field for us.”

Funny enough Northwest Baseball State reached out to my son just yesterday. Small world RJM... crazy when you think about it.

The first 2021 commitment (a position player) in our state committed to an SEC program before he had played an inning of high school ball.  About halfway through high school the HC at the SEC program was canned.  Offer wasn't rescinded but the program essentially ghosted him over his junior and senior years.  Decommitted late and is now at a solid, but lower profile Juco and not likely to see the field as a freshman.  I wish the best for the kid, but all the awe and reverence his super early commitment created for him is now a distant memory and of zero help to him.  I can't fault anyone for committing early like that though.  Had an SEC program offered my kid prior to stepping foot on a HS field?  I can't imagine the fortitude needed to resist grabbing it immediately.  The number of players and parents smart and strong enough to actually resist those set of circumstances is incredibly small.  If you're one of them, you are truly special and incredibly different than 99%+ of your peers.

@IAmThatGuy posted:

Funny enough Northwest Baseball State reached out to my son just yesterday. Small world RJM... crazy when you think about it.

Wait! I thought YOU told THEM your son was coming to Northwest B.S. and to clear out a locker for him.

I saw their tweet:  "Blessed to announce that our new leadoff hitter and weekend starter, IAMTHATGUY'SSON, chose us over Vanderbilt and Mississippi State"

Wait! I thought YOU told THEM your son was coming to Northwest B.S. and to clear out a locker for him.

I saw their tweet:  "Blessed to announce that our new leadoff hitter and weekend starter, IAMTHATGUY'SSON, chose us over Vanderbilt and Mississippi State"

We chose Clemson, but for some reason, they are ghosting us right now.  I think TPM might have said something to them.   We are opening it all back up and have no interest in the ACC now due to our experience. So we will focus instead on the top end of the SEC.

@RJM posted:

What do you think happens then? Who has everything to win and nothing to lose with a very early commit? If a 2025 is in demand now imagine how in demand he will be in a year or two assuming he continues to develop. The only reason to commit this early is if the kid is physically developed, has more physical development in the tank (he’s a top prospect) and it’s his dream school.

Girls physically develop sooner. My daughter had offers flooding in the summer after freshman year. Fortunately she knew what she wanted for a major. At that age most kids don’t know what they want for lunch. Still, she never spent a day working in the field of her major.

On the same page.  Five years out from college is an eternity.  So many things could change, but I’m guessing all the top schools were offering. Probably dream school.  Pretty sure he’s a reclass and looks the part.  Kid has been hitting the ball a long way for a long time.  If he continues to progress at the current pace I doubt school is even in the picture anyway.  

You guys are getting incredibly good at talking me down.  My son will continue to go to the smaller showcases for the experience more than anything.  It’s not a horrible way to spend a day and a few dollars.  

Thanks again.

I’m understanding the size matters issue more than ever.  The multi-school showcase he attended was a mess.  What was supposed to be a 4 hour metrics session turned out to be a 6 1/2 hour waste of time.  Many of the “scouts” left after the first session.  The only two metrics that my son received were pop time and exit velo.  He did get a bonus metric for infield velo which was nice.  The only problem was that he didn’t throw across the infield.  Catcher pop times were measured 4 1/2 hours in after the six catchers had caught about 75 bull pins and cooled off and warmed back up four times.  By the time they got around to pop times, the catchers were so gassed that most of them were one hopping to second and only one player from the two sessions broke the 2.0 mark.  My son typically doesn’t have a problem braking 2.0, but posted a 2.13.  Several of the catchers he trains with also posted much higher than normal times.  All in all not very productive, but at least we learned where not to go heading into the all important Junior year summer.  I get more than ever why there is such a reliance on size in the scouting process when the metrics aren’t really reliable.  

Very much a live and learn experience.  My son is also going to need a lot more help from his travel organization and trainers than I originally thought and had hoped for.  Back in his pitching days, his pitching coach said something that has stuck with me. “It’s not just about being good.  Everyone is good at the next level.  It’s also about being lucky.”  So in addition to to the long hours of training and practice, we’ll be mixing in some finger crossing 🤣.

Thanks again to all of you that have shared your experiences.  Much of the advice is proving to be accurate and helpful.  

My son was a last cut from varsity as a high school freshman. He was 5’11” 135. He had just had a growth burst. He hadn’t filled out.

It’s all relative. He got to college and realized he had the same issue as when he entered high school. He was 6’1” 175. The game was a lot easier the next season at 6’2” 190.

What helped in college was not burning off the weight playing other sports.

Nick, have you identified the schools your son is targeting yet? If so, look at their rosters and the size of their kids. You'll get an idea of a minimum of what his goals should be. You'd be surprised at how big the kids are even at HA D3 schools.

Very few coaches I've seen have paid much attention, if any, to pop times at a showcase. They want to know if the kid can hit first and play defense second.

Nick, have you identified the schools your son is targeting yet? If so, look at their rosters and the size of their kids. You'll get an idea of a minimum of what his goals should be. You'd be surprised at how big the kids are even at HA D3 schools.

Very few coaches I've seen have paid much attention, if any, to pop times at a showcase. They want to know if the kid can hit first and play defense second.

We started that process.  Engineering/Computer Science major so we started to eliminate that way.  D1 is now completely off the table as it’s just not going to happen.  Probably won’t bother with D2 either so the pool is getting pretty small.  Might revisit if he starts to fill out Junior or Senior year.  

I did look at a lot of the rosters to see what the prototype is for the schools.  Many just drag the D1 body down.  6’ 200lbs.  Also dug into the stats on a lot of the starters and while I understand the want for hitting, most of the catchers are not big hitters.  Seems like .230-.250 and maybe a couple of bombs is the norm.  Not discounting the difficulty in hitting at any of those levels, but surprised by the lack of production given so much emphasis on size and power.  

I’ve got a catcher trapped in the body of a middle infielder.  Starting to feel like the second coming of Doug Flutie’s dad.  

@Nick0977 posted:

We started that process.  Engineering/Computer Science major so we started to eliminate that way.  D1 is now completely off the table as it’s just not going to happen.  Probably won’t bother with D2 either so the pool is getting pretty small.  Might revisit if he starts to fill out Junior or Senior year.  

I did look at a lot of the rosters to see what the prototype is for the schools.  Many just drag the D1 body down.  6’ 200lbs.  Also dug into the stats on a lot of the starters and while I understand the want for hitting, most of the catchers are not big hitters.  Seems like .230-.250 and maybe a couple of bombs is the norm.  Not discounting the difficulty in hitting at any of those levels, but surprised by the lack of production given so much emphasis on size and power.  

I’ve got a catcher trapped in the body of a middle infielder.  Starting to feel like the second coming of Doug Flutie’s dad.  

Everything you are saying is pointing towards D3 for your kid. If you make that decision now, embrace it, and move forward with that goal in mind you will have a leg up on most of your competitors. Assuming you proceed as I described you will have defined the most important variables.  Since you know the preferred field of study that (along with location of the school) becomes your primary filter. It won’t be hard to come up with a list of 10-20 schools to focus on. Once you have done that start looking for a contact that has influence with your target schools. And away you go……

@Sue54 posted:

Your son sounds very versatile to me. That may end up being  more valuable than you realize.

https://keepplayingbaseball.or...ectability-part-1-2/

https://keepplayingbaseball.or...-college-baseball-2/

Very helpful.  My son will turn 18 in his first few weeks of college.  It’s a bit frustrating to think that he won’t add value to a program with his ability behind the plate and versatility because he hasn’t physically matured yet.  145lbs and near zero body fat, he’s building a sold base for what is to come as he gets older and his body allows him to truly pack on muscle.  

The attached is from this weekend on his 16u travel team and is an example of the why for my original question.  From my experience, there are not a lot of catchers that can also make plays like this.  Plays like this are common for him regardless of position.  One of the hardest parts is going  to be showcasing his athleticism to the right people and not wasting time on those who just won’t care because of his current or potential size.  Baseball purists are slow to adapt to what may work better.  A great example is the slow shift of MLB clubs to a “money ball” mentality of building a roster.  The Rays are on their way to the playoffs again with a very low payroll and a 5’8” catcher.  My son trains with and I’ve seen plenty of the standard body types for catchers at showcases.  The scouts have a lot to pick from so it’s pretty easy to overlook my son.  He’s going to need help to get the visibility and buy in he’ll need.  

Thanks again Sue and the rest of you.  I truly appreciate your input as it’s going to be far more challenging to find my son a college baseball home than I once thought.  

Attachments

Videos (1)
trim.484FBBBA-CFB1-420A-800C-29D6F17CDC93

@Nick0977, the video you posted is a good play but not a particularly difficult one. Based on what I see in that video I think it’s too early to prepare a recruiting video. Most likely all you would accomplish is getting your son crossed off the list by his schools of interest. The last thing you want to do is showcase a product that isn’t ready for the marketplace. Every recruiting journey is different and needs to be individually tailored. Since your son is small and young for his grade that translates into “hit the recruiting trail later rather than sooner.” Don’t get caught up in comparing your timeline to other players. Until your son can show playing ability that will catch a coaches eye he is better off training and improving his skills. When the time comes I would focus on camps at schools of interest instead of large, heavily attended showcases. He is way more likely to be noticed at a camp. Just my 2 cents but I have good perspective on this.

@adbono posted:

@Nick0977, the video you posted is a good play but not a particularly difficult one. Based on what I see in that video I think it’s too early to prepare a recruiting video. Most likely all you would accomplish is getting your son crossed off the list by his schools of interest. The last thing you want to do is showcase a product that isn’t ready for the marketplace. Every recruiting journey is different and needs to be individually tailored. Since your son is small and young for his grade that translates into “hit the recruiting trail later rather than sooner.” Don’t get caught up in comparing your timeline to other players. Until your son can show playing ability that will catch a coaches eye he is better off training and improving his skills. When the time comes I would focus on camps at schools of interest instead of large, heavily attended showcases. He is way more likely to be noticed at a camp. Just my 2 cents but I have good perspective on this.

Understood and have come to that conclusion as well.  He’ll continue to train, eat, train, eat some more and then wait.  

Listen to everything Adbono said, and look for a travel team with a coach who has connections and will make calls on his behalf. I wouldn't rely on being found at showcases unless he grows and puts on size. You'd be relying on 1. coaches paying attention 2. opportunities to make great plays coming up while coaches paying attention 3. not being overshadowed by a few stud players putting on a show

My son's travel coach called an Ivy on his behalf and started the process for him. I'm confident without that call there would have been no interest (at least not yet) from the school.

Nick,

I found taking my kid to HS games (JV/V) in MS then college games (JuCO, D1-D3) during his freshman year gave him the proper perspective on what the competition looks like and their size. It provided all the motivation needed for the off season work out and training. He went on his official visit (converted to an unofficial visit due to covid restrictions) to his HA D3 on Saturday.  He is a 2022 and 16 for another month, his future team mates were impressed with his age but the coaches couldn't care less and told him they expect him to be ready to go when he arrives next fall.  

Nick … How tall are you? What kind of physical frame (thick, normal, thin) do you have? For example, I’ve always had a point guard’s frame. At 6’1” I had trouble getting above 180 as an athlete. My son is 6’2”. He has the same frame. He couldn’t get above 175 until college. He got to 195. But he felt more comfortable at 190. How tall is his mother? I’m not going to be rude and ask about her frame.

The thing about being undersized when thinking D1 is they have so many regular or above average players to choose from. When a player is undersized he has to excel to be noticed. It’s more likely to occur competing with potential D3 players. Besides. Unless a kid had the potential to go pro he should be looking for the best education regardless of division.

My kids did go on to play D1 ball. My son was told he was a potential pro prospect was he was sixteen by people who make those decisions for a living. I still held my ground the college decision would new 70% academic and 30% athletic.

It seems that we are all in agreement that that focusing on recruiting at this point is a waste of time and energy.  I’m attaching a comprehensive video from last weekend.  Not the best plays of the season and not intended to be a recruiting video.  Just curious on the thoughts of projectibility given a lot of you have been there.  I’ll give his training regimen as well for your thoughts and anything that that might be missing.  As Bob recommend, we’ll look into playing up a class in the summers.

15 years old (August) c/o 2024

5’10” 145lbs

3.9 GPA AP/Computer Science Magnet

All training listed is outside of team practices and supervised by professionals.

- Baseball specific strength and conditioning 3X/wk in season, 4X/wk off season

- Facility hitting 3X in season, 4X/wk off season

- Individual Catcher Training 1X On and off season

- Secondary position skills training 2X/wk off season

- Throwing Program/Long toss 3X/wk in season 4X/wk off season

- One month off between seasons.  3X/year

Diet

protein shake morning and night 7X/wk

3 square meals 7X/wk

MetRx Protein bar 2X/day, 5X/wk

Thank you all for your input and guidance.  It truly is helpful.  Only unbiased evaluation to this point was at a USF camp this summer, scored out as 3/5 or small college prospect.  No point in looking further at this point as it’s pretty clear that he’s not big/strong enough to impress anyone important.  I’ll check back in a few years to let you know the progress/outcome. Best of luck to you and yours.  Thanks for reeling me back in.  

Attachments

Videos (1)
trim.C1F3D2C1-17E5-40C4-832A-3714591280EA

Looks like a good young player.  The point that seems to continually be made is no matter how good he moves, he doesn’t yet have the ‘it’ that would induce an urgency from a coach.  So be strategic about when to try to engage coaches. Those early commits have ‘it’.  You may not see it on a player’s profile but it’s there.  So, as you just said, take your time.

Having just gone through this process, one way I like to think about recruiting is what does your kid have that would make the coach seek him out?   College rosters have  3-5ish catchers on them.  Plenty of proven talent. So what does your kid have that projects him as a starter over said roster?  What will he have (I.e. projection)?   When that becomes clear, then you make your moves.  Before that, enjoy your kid’s excellence in his games.   That is how I would think about it.  And best of luck.

Last edited by BBSBfan

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.