Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

It means that he still has four years of eligibility remaining. He can use those four years wherever he wishes. The challenge in remaining and using two more years at JUCO - which he could do, is academics. JUCOs do not typically offer what he would need academically as a third year student. Then he would be required to have even more to transfer after three years at JUCO. He'd still have two more years at the four year, but again, transferring academically could be a nightmare. There are some JUCOs that do this more than others. If he RSs at JUCO first year, my recommendation would be to play the second and transfer on - leaving him with three years of eligibility at the four year.

I hope that made sense! Smile
Will stick my neck out here...

3 year JC is a minefield...it is not to be taken on lightly...It is only for the right kids, who know all the hoops up front and are willing to jump through them, and for those who NEED what such a path offers...for those few it can work IMO.

Most kids I see at JC trying that path have NO idea what it entails and what problems it presents, and where it leads. They get to the end and only then find out what the realities are.

Cool 44
Last edited by observer44

Would agree...Works athletically for a kid who might be a "young" freshman and needs a year to catch up before he "begins' his two year JC career...also works better for a player looking at/willing to play something other than DI (different transfer rules?)...also a player may be able to pick up 4 year classes at a local DI, or on line, or during the summer or all three...also player maight take 2 1/2 years with one grading period under full time to technically be under 3 years...again a minefield but doable if the player is sufficiently aware and motivated.

Cool 44
If a sudent has concerns about taking three years at a JC, maybe a greyshirt year for his first year would work. This means you take less than 12 units a semester. While slowing down the overall progress, it does give you a head start on the 60 units required to transfer without the elgibility clock starting. At the JC's I am familiar a grey shirt was allowed to practice with the team, granted did a lot of gopher tasks was also invloved.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.