Skip to main content

I've done a bit of research and I'm not confident that I have found the correct answer.

In the case of a D1 player, can a redshirt be issued if he has played in any regular season games?

I have seen mention that any play in games would eliminate that option under normal circumstances and I have read that a player may appear in up to four games and still get a redshirt. I'm unclear if the four game rule only applies to football.

Any help appreciated

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

@DD 2024 posted:

Medical redshirts can play in a few games and stil keep their eligibility. Non-medical redshirts can’t play.

There is no such thing as a medical redshirt, an injury would be put through the athletic dept as a waiver to get the year of participation back and also depends on length or seriousness of injury. The term redshirt applies to a grade designation and not an official term of the NCAA.

All it means as an example, a redshirt freshman is an academic soph who is in first season of participation.

Keep in mind that the NCAA allowed everyone who played last year another season and some coaches don't even know what to call it. Lol.

Under a new rule a freshman can play up to 4 games and not lose  that first year of eligibility.

I think the NCAA got tired of hearing the term "redshirt" so they gave it a definition.

"Redshirt: In Divisions I or II, redshirting refers to someone who is enrolled full time at a school, but does not play for an entire academic year for the sole purpose of saving a season of competition. A redshirt does not play in any college games or scrimmage in a given sport for an entire academic year, even though that student is otherwise eligible. If you do not play in a sport the entire academic year, you have not used a season of competition. However, if you play in even one second of a game as a college student-athlete, you are not a redshirt. Redshirting does not exist in Division III because if you play or practice after your first opportunity to compete, you are charged with a season of participation."

https://www.ncaa.org/student-a...rrent/transfer-terms

@TPM, please provide some type of citation for the "4 games" rule you mentioned above. I can't find that on the NCAA website for any sport other than football (12.8.3.1.6 Exception - Football).

I don't know the citation and not going to look. I got my info from a reliable source and passed it on to the OP. I also suggested he contact NCAA or perhaps compliance officer where his son attends.

The new rule is for FRESHMAN only and went into affect in 2018.

Let me know if you hear otherwise.

Thanks for the replies! I took the advice given to me by TPM and called the NCAA. (I didn't know I could do that).

A very nice woman answered and said that the 4 game rule only applies to football. I asked if redshirts were considered for all spring athletes and she said she didn't think that the D1 counsel had that on their agenda.

So, appear in a game and you use a season.

Tough love for freshmen who see very little time on the field. Covid...............

@TPM posted:

There is no such thing as a medical redshirt, an injury would be put through the athletic dept as a waiver to get the year of participation back and also depends on length or seriousness of injury. The term redshirt applies to a grade designation and not an official term of the NCAA.

All it means as an example, a redshirt freshman is an academic soph who is in first season of participation.

Keep in mind that the NCAA allowed everyone who played last year another season and some coaches don't even know what to call it. Lol.

Under a new rule a freshman can play up to 4 games and not lose  that first year of eligibility.

Yes, thanks.

As someone else posted, redshirt simply means being enrolled as a student and not playing in order to save a year of eligibility.

Usually this is done by design, but I know of a player who got injured very early in the season and was forced to sit out for the rest of the year. Not in football. The player applied for and was granted the extra year as a medical exception.

I thought of this as the OP specifically asked about redshirting after playing in a regular season games.

So I guess to answer the question fully - the only things that have triggered an extra year of eligibility after playing in a game are a significant early-season injury, the specialness of being a D1 freshman football player, and covid.

Anyone know of anything else?

@DD 2024 posted:

So I guess to answer the question fully - the only things that have triggered an extra year of eligibility after playing in a game are a significant early-season injury, the specialness of being a D1 freshman football player, and covid.

Anyone know of anything else?

There are quite a few other exceptions, but they are rarely applicable. Like financial hardship, school allowed you to play but later found out that you are ineligible... stuff like that.

First, I apologize again for wrong info on redshirt. I do not have the rule, but if you play in even 1 game it counts as a year of eligibility, unless you play in less than 20% of games at the beginning of the year and get hurt and a medical doctor deems it as season ending, they will award the player a medical exception.

I think it's important for any player to speak with the coach as to lack of playing time and what plans does the coach have for him going forward.

Also, there are always exceptions as mentioned by midatlanticdad, but rarely given.

@TPM posted:

I'm noticing various ways teams are publishing their rosters.

More than 90% of the NCAA-D1 teams have kept the 2020 graduation class value, whereas as some are flagging players with "C-xx" vs "R-xx".

In order to better understand the pipeline, we've started tagging last year's freshman class with the relevant value.

In 2022, it will be interesting to see how many "C-xx" are still on their respective teams

Louisville_2021_distribution-by-position

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Louisville_2021_distribution-by-position

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.