Skip to main content

My son and I just got back from the PG and Southwest Wood Bat tournaments in Surprise and Goodyear, Arizona. We pretty much stayed at the rented house, did takeout, and were at games. We drove from LA. No problems at games, spectators didn’t use bleachers, spaced out well sitting in chairs and under umbrellas. Spectators were asked to wear masks entering, exiting, and when using restrooms.

The only crowding issue at PG was at the end of games, when spectators for the next game would arrive before the previous game ended. The Wood Bat solved this by staggering the times a bit more so only the players and spectators for the current time could enter. 

We are hoping that USA at end of July can take place. With a little extra planning and cooperation social distancing is definitely possible for spectators. Not so much for the players crammed in the dugout.

The only downer for the weekend was son’s team lost in the finals of the PG in extra innings after blowing a 6-1 lead, but that’s baseball. FYI, not sure if it was an Arizona or PG rule, but the tiebreaker inning was bases loaded, one out.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Its been very similar here on the east coast for the tournaments we've been to. There have been a ton of tournaments around the country over the past few weeks and so far no reports of mass exposure or infections from an event.

I hate the bases loaded 1 out rule. I saw it at another PG tournament last year. You're just a balk or a wild pitch away from losing. I'd like the batting team to have to at least put a ball in play to win the game.

@billsfanla posted:

We are hoping that USA at end of July can take place. With a little extra planning and cooperation social distancing is definitely possible for spectators. Not so much for the players crammed in the dugout.

I'm going with NOT going to happen, Az just locked everything down for 30 days.  No gatherings of more than 50 (so that would be ONE game at a time).  Which cancels the 14U & 15U and likely won't allow for 16/17.

Last edited by LousyLefty

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.