Skip to main content

First time here in a few years...I have a 2024 RHP touching 90 as a jr. with a 70% strike percentage and IVB on par with MLB pitchers for his off-speed. 6'1 195 and plus 4.0 with AP and Honors classes. Of course, apparently in-state universities don't go by weighted scores I've been told. My son is not focused on social media and right now I feel like it's to his determent with being scouted. My big question is when/where do we get an advisor? We need someone to help with the recruiting who has experience with elite athletes. Thank you!

Last edited by Beisbol Life
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hello Beisbol,

I must admit, in initially reading the post I thought this was clickbait or one of the posters that's always pulling everyones legs - maybe it is... A highly academic junior touching 90 with an exit velocity above 100, should already have some buzz assuming they've been impactful on the field.

As for advisors, the kid was sitting 92-94 as a juco freshman and I had no idea what an advisor was (your future agent and someone who's going to get 5% of your kids signing bonus is what they are - but it's a handshake agreement). When the kid hit 97, that's when people started showing up, asking to be an advisor and wanting to help.

I think some college coaches have advisors they will recommend, but it's always best to get lots of references. My son's agent, is his former 10u hitting instructor - it's a small world, and before you think that's silly, he's also Judge's agent and really great person.  

Last edited by JucoDad

Do you have a travel coach?  He should be your first advocate, that's part of what you are paying for.

As a note, some state universities (Arizona, maybe CA) do ask applicants to input all their unweighted grades, and only looks at core classes.  Many other state schools (and privates) just take the school transcript with whatever GPA is reported (my son only reports weighted).  Regardless, they are going to look for AP and honors classes.

Thanks for your response, JucoDad. No, clickbait. That was funny to read. Exactly!  You would think there would be a lot more buzz with these metrics. This is why I'm glad that the Area Code tryout metrics are public knowledge. That should be enough verifiable information to get more buzz started. Plus heading to AL in July for a top PG tournament. We need to pick up on a team for Jupiter since our travel team can't leave the state to play since they're associated with a university and something about an NCAA rule. Not sure on that one. I'm hoping his guidance counselor at school can offer some help since his gpa is so high.

Thank you, anotherparent! Almost everywhere I turn everyone keeps saying grades, grades, grades. That's great because my son has A's with Honors and AP and has been in a self-contained highly-gifted classroom from 3rd - 8th grade. Then I hear, well in-state schools don't care about Honors or AP just the regular GPA - and yes we're in AZ. It's just frustrating because I really don't see much of a benefit with baseball and high grades. Maybe I'm missing something, I'm just not sure what it is.

Don’t compare a high school player with anything MLB unless you expect him to be a top draft pick out of high school. Now, that we’re past that are you looking for an advisor for college? Or pros? 90 isn’t elite relative to pros. It’s expected for better D1 college programs.

More often than not a paid advisor for college recruiting is a waste of money. You can learn everything you need to know on this site. Ask questions. There are plenty of very experienced people. Most important, there are many people experienced with the effects on recruiting with extra Covid eligibility, the new transfer rules (instant eligibility) and the transfer portal.

Your son’s first point of reference/advisor/advocate should be his travel coaching staff. Every program my son communicated with started with his travel coach contacting the college coach and telling him he had a player he believed would fit their program that should be checked out.

Colleges as a whole don’t recognize weighted gpa because there isn’t a national standard. GPA can vary from state to state, even district to district. The better academic institutions will ask about the level of courses. If your son is that academically inclined he should attend high academic showcases like Head First.

Showing up at a PG event to throw spaghetti off the wall and see what sticks is not a good idea. Your son needs an advocate to presell him. Many D1’s are mostly done recruiting for 2024 unless they’re overwhelmed by an available talent.

Good luck.

Last edited by RJM

PitchingFan, actually both. We have a few top choices, and this past summer at LakePoint my son was hitting homers and had a no-hitter against a top team with several D1 commits. Our coach told us there was interest from Kent State, Louisville, and some others, but we didn't know what to do going forward. We didn't really know that coach because it was a national team with boys from all over. He has this year and next year left for hs, and I have no doubt he will be sitting low 90's routinely which is where high school draftable players are at according to BA. Yes, he's high academically, but all he wants to do is play baseball. He would go straight from hs if you could especially since the money is there if you decide to go to college later on from what I've been told.

The advice (my opinion) is free, but milage will vary... You should never consider the draft out of HS unless your kid is going to receive life changing money.  What is life changing money, I guess that depends on your perspective. Figure half the signing bonus goes to taxes and agent's fee (somebody needs to negotiate with the teams). So you get $1M signing bonus, and immediately it's around $500K. The average time it takes a HS player to get a shot at the MLB is 6 or more years, figure a burn rate of about $30K or more per year (training, tools and good nutrition cost way more than the $1,200 before taxes in the minors) and you've got about $250K left after 6 years - that's assuming no large "I got drafted!" spends. Is $250K plus interest life changing if he doesn't beat the odds and make the MLB, when he only has a HS education?

If you have a high achiever academically, (and you're not a top 3 round player) why not leverage that to get a diploma at a school that means something? Is Stanford too much of a stretch, I don't know but if it's my kid I'm going to find out. There's are a ton of opportunity in the Ivy league schools and 90 as a junior should at least open the conversation.  

My son was not the academic type, his plan B was to join the Coast Guard if the baseball thing didn't work out. He had no recruiting interest beyond JUCO (he attended their camps / tried out), but he got his AA, transferred to a D1, did one year and then was drafted. I feel he likely got to the MLB in about the same time he would have if he'd had an opportunity out of HS (7 years from HS), except he has an associate degree, a year toward a bachelors, and 3 less years of burn on his signing bonus.

Last edited by JucoDad

There’s a huge difference between interest and being recruited. When a player is being recruited there is ongoing conversation between the player and the coach in charge of recruiting. There’s also a huge difference between Louisville and Kent State. Louisville is one of the programs I mentioned that is likely done recruiting 2024’s unless they’re overwhelmed by a talent.

Your son doesn’t have two years left. He has next summer. After that, in most cases the only thing left is whether or not he gains acceptance to an Ivy if it’s a route he takes.

Thank you, anotherparent! Almost everywhere I turn everyone keeps saying grades, grades, grades. That's great because my son has A's with Honors and AP and has been in a self-contained highly-gifted classroom from 3rd - 8th grade. Then I hear, well in-state schools don't care about Honors or AP just the regular GPA - and yes we're in AZ. It's just frustrating because I really don't see much of a benefit with baseball and high grades. Maybe I'm missing something, I'm just not sure what it is.

Yes, you're missing this: with a 4.0 in honors and AP classes, your son will potentially have the following opportunities:

- admission to a top academic school - Stanford, Ivies, Duke, etc. - some of those give athletic scholarships, but all give need-based financial aid (on parental income) to everyone who is admitted.

-  a hefty academic scholarship to many state schools.  That matters because college baseball scholarships almost never cover 100% of the cost of college.  If the student's GPA is above a certain number (3.5?) then you can use academic money in addition to (stack with) any athletic scholarship, potentially covering the full cost of college, and making the college coach happy because you are easier to support.

AZ state schools have weird applications, but most states are not like that.

Re: advisors, I agree that you do need advice from someone knowledgeable.  You can get lots of information from this site, but no-one here knows your son.  If a travel coach this summer told you that Kent State and Louisville were interested, you should follow up with that coach, and ask him where things are now for your son.  Surely you could also ask the in-state travel organization coaches for advice?

@adbono posted:

IMO you should substitute I am That Guy for Beisbol Life and then this thread starts to make sense.

That was my initial take, but who knows maybe he is as clueless as I was when my kid was nearing 90 as a junior (actually, I'm not sure anyone could have been more clueless than me) . It's Christmas, I'm going to follow Ted Lasso's lead and "Believe"...

If you're looking for a little baseball sarcasm, try this: https://twitter.com/coachcasey13u - the best part is the tweet responses that think this guy is serous - #BeElite

Screen Shot 2022-12-25 at 10.04.39 AM

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-25 at 10.04.39 AM
Last edited by JucoDad

I never thought about taking my son going straight to the pro's until @PitchingFan recommended the option of heading to the Dominican Republic.  Also I never claimed my son was an elite athlete but rather stipulated the obvious to all that have seen him play, he's a top tier SEC level player. Beisbol life is one step ahead of me.  I am spending Christmas with our new advisor, Domingo Ayala.  We will see if he recommends a similar path to pro's for us.  At this point given the refusal of any D1 to formally offer him the pro's seems like the logical choice.  Genius really.  

** I am not Beisbol Life

Last edited by IAmThatGuy
@IAmThatGuy posted:

I never thought about taking my son going straight to the pro's until @PitchingFan recommended the option of heading to the Dominican Republic.  Also I never claimed my son was an elite athlete but rather stipulated the obvious to all that have seen him play, he's a top tier SEC level player. Beisbol life is one step ahead of me.  I am spending Christmas with our new advisor, Domingo Ayala.  We will see if he recommends a similar path to pro's for us.  At this point given the refusal of any D1 for formally offer him the pro's seems like the logical choice.  Genius really.  

** I am not Beisbol Life

This is what we need on Christmas Day!

Based on some private back and forth w Beisbol life, BL seems like a pretty nice legit person.  Doesn't really seem like a trolling.  But I can clearly see why the lurker/poster ratio is what it is.

I didn't inquire about the specifics of their 2024s grades but a wGPA 4.0 is not really hard to achieve w AP/honors classes being graded on a 4.5-5.0 scale.   eg. Both my boys sit 3.9+ uwGPA; 4.2-4.4 wGPA.  So I suppose you could have a 4.0 wGPA w around a 3.7 old school GPA. 

Hungry for knowledge...looking to be a Bird Scout and own an academy for youth baseball boys. Have been an Operations Manager for travel ball organization - 3 yrs. // Cooperstown coach 2018 // Coach at the middle-school level.

Wow, discouraged by this site which I thought was to help in providing information to those that asked for it. I've stated factual information and merely asked for assistance from those more knowledgeable than I or who have gone through this process. When I realized my son has legit talent and the passion to play at the higher level, I immersed myself in baseball learning anything I could and talking to anyone that was willing to share. (I teach and have done so for over two decades so helping all kids is MY passion as is learning each and every day.) In 2016 I was asked to be the Operations Manager for our travel organization which I did in a heartbeat. I grew that organization to several teams while learning all I could about the game. The head coach asked if I would consider co-coaching and organizing a trip to Cooperstown. It was a success and my love of baseball continued to grow as my son was becoming more involved with some of the top teams in our area. I eventually went to Scout School to learn even more about the process knowing my son may be headed in that direction. (FYI - It was an introductory course in my state run by older ex-MLB scouts.) My husband owns a company and has not been involved with MLB, although he loves baseball. I was a high school athlete (track and field) so understand it up to that level. With my son being academically high as well as a top player in our state, I came here to try and learn and get advice. Sorry if you think my bio's "weird" or "clickbaitish," but I thought that's what this site was for...information. Unfortunately, it seems like I was wrong.

The person who thought it might be click bait has a son playing MLB. He still answered. You want responses from people who have been through the process? How higher can you go than someone who’s kid is in the majors?

It seemed odd to me a player with such elite talent needs a recruiting advisor. He should be swimming in offers already. It’s odd someone with his baseball and academic record never approached Ivies. But, I responded.

Last edited by RJM

Apologies - we have had a couple of posters put up almost believable situations that turned out to be jokes.  Please do stick around and ask more questions - you've gotten and will get answers from a very diverse set of people.

Just as a note:  it's not true that colleges don't recognize weighted GPAs, because some high schools only report weighted GPAs on the transcript.  I don't even know what my sons' unweighted GPAs are.

@Beisbol Life

I dont reply to every post or every new poster, but I do read bios to get a better idea of who is posting, where they are from, a bit about themselves.

I don't feel that I owe an apology, because I too questioned why a player with such elite talent has little interest. All I asked was for you to explain your bio info, which you have. You have gotten some good information.

I am not understanding the bit about the team not being able to go out of state to play due to being associate with a school and NCAA regulations, can you explain further.

As far as being a mom looking for help in the recruiting process, there are many here that have been the parent who has been the driving force in their athletes recruiting or pro success.

Last edited by TPM

When a coach said "Kent State and Louisville showed interest" it was time to get in touch with them.  Either ask the coach to introduce your son to them....or at least give him your contact info.  Then have you son initiate contact thru email.  If they had enough interest to talk to the coach they obviously were at least somewhat interested in your son.   My guess is that when they didn't hear anything from anyone that they decided that the interest wasn't mutual and maybe an AZ kid wasn't interested in playing the midwest in March lol.   With his numbers, you need to be very proactive in getting his info out there.  You don't need an advisor at this point.  90 as a RHP is barely mid-major velo, but his 103 exit velo is probably what will get coach's attention.   Put together some video and get your son an email address......something like "Joe Smith, 2024, RHP, 103 exit velo @gmail.com" and have him start contacting coaches at ANY and EVERY school that interests him.  As others have mentioned a lot of the bigger programs are done or very close to done recruiting 2024's.   Good luck!

Maybe I missed the post but is there a reason your kid's coach is not assisting in connecting with the college coaches? Super showcases like HF and Showball are great options, if you are local to the HA colleges, you should take your son for a campus tour. Walking the campus and seeing the brick and motar can really help in the decision. My 2022 kid was "engaged" with Patriot and Ivy coaches throughout his junior and rising senior year. The campus tours of those schools never blew him away, as some of the field/training facilities were old or required 20+ mins of travel time each way from campus...I was so proud/pleased he thought about the that. We visited a HA D3 school during his rising Jr year as it was near another D1 school he was visiting. He was first against going, but once his bloated teenage ego was put in check we walked the campus. He loved everything from the size of the campus and it had the perks of a state of the art facility and field. It just happened that the head of admissions was there that day and introduced himself to us and engaged with our knucklehead. He connected our kid with the HC and because of COVID he did not go their camp until his Jr year just after his HS baseball season. Kid was coming off an injury and still performed well, and was offered the next day. They never pushed for a decision. He went to WWBA in GA did pretty well, gave updates to all the schools he was still talking to but at the end of the tourney he committed to the HA D3. They showed the most interest and had a plan for him, even after he elected for major elbow surgery that fall. 

Hungry for knowledge...looking to be a Bird Scout and own an academy for youth baseball boys. Have been an Operations Manager for travel ball organization - 3 yrs. // Cooperstown coach 2018 // Coach at the middle-school level.

Wow, discouraged by this site which I thought was to help in providing information to those that asked for it. I've stated factual information and merely asked for assistance from those more knowledgeable than I or who have gone through this process. When I realized my son has legit talent and the passion to play at the higher level, I immersed myself in baseball learning anything I could and talking to anyone that was willing to share. (I teach and have done so for over two decades so helping all kids is MY passion as is learning each and every day.) In 2016 I was asked to be the Operations Manager for our travel organization which I did in a heartbeat. I grew that organization to several teams while learning all I could about the game. The head coach asked if I would consider co-coaching and organizing a trip to Cooperstown. It was a success and my love of baseball continued to grow as my son was becoming more involved with some of the top teams in our area. I eventually went to Scout School to learn even more about the process knowing my son may be headed in that direction. (FYI - It was an introductory course in my state run by older ex-MLB scouts.) My husband owns a company and has not been involved with MLB, although he loves baseball. I was a high school athlete (track and field) so understand it up to that level. With my son being academically high as well as a top player in our state, I came here to try and learn and get advice. Sorry if you think my bio's "weird" or "clickbaitish," but I thought that's what this site was for...information. Unfortunately, it seems like I was wrong.

First, let me preference this with the fact that I am a total and complete novice to baseball recruiting.   I have a 2024 RHP, and this past year is the first and only time I have been exposed to College baseball recruiting.   There are plenty of people on this message board that have a lot more experience and knowledge so I believe that you have found the right place to gain information.   I have been highly impressed with the information and willingness that people on this message board have shown me over the past year.

I will give you a list of things that I have discovered through this past year concerning baseball recruiting.   I welcome others to critic my post if you are in disagreement.

1) Baseball recruiting is as much about timing and being in the right place in front of the right person as much as anything.   I know of really talented baseball players that have been impressive at every outing that haven't gotten so much as a sniff from D1 schools.   I have also seen players that I wouldn't select for a baseball team under any circumstances that have committed to SEC schools.   I truly believe that the key to college baseball recruiting is being at the right event, performing at a high level, and having the right assistant coach in the audience at that time.   

2) Most of the D1 schools have already finished their 2024 recruitment.   There may be a few schools that are still going to look at 2024 players this summer, but I would say all of the Power 5 programs and most of the Mid Majors are already looking at 2025 and Juco players. and have closed the book on their 2024 classes.

3) I do believe that playing with a reputable travel organization and having a coaching advocate within that organization is key.   You have to have a travel ball coach making phone calls on your behalf to these college programs so that you can get on their radar.   

4) It does you no good to simply show up at a Showcase.   If you are going to a showcase then you need to make sure that some assistant coaches know that you are there, and that they are going to look for your performance.   In my opinion this is where having a good email campaign and travel ball coach reaching out to programs is key.   Showing up at Atlanta to pitch 2 innings in a PG showcase is a waste of time.   Showing up at Atlanta to pitch 2 innings in front of 10 college assistant coaches that are there to specifically watch you pitch is very important.

5) College prospect camps are a complete waste of time unless the coaches at that school are directly communicating with you with text messages and phone calls asking you to specifically attend their camps.  Ignore all of the generic email camp invites.  If the coaches aren't specifically asking you to come throw or perform in front of them, then they aren't going to notice anything you do.   I am convinced that prospect camps are all about making money, and putting eyes on the 4-5 players that they specifically want to see.   And they have already figured that out prior to the camp.   

6) The transfer portal significantly hurts high school players and their recruitment.

7) I believe that college baseball is a cutthroat business.  There are a lot of kids that are committed to D1 schools right now in the 2024 class that are going to either find out that they are no longer a take by their commitment school by the time they graduate from high school, or find out in their first year in the college program that they don't have a future with that baseball program.   

Last edited by Ster
@Ster posted:

First, let me preference this with the fact that I am a total and complete novice to baseball recruiting.   I have a 2024 RHP, and this past year is the first and only time I have been exposed to College baseball recruiting.   There are plenty of people on this message board that have a lot more experience and knowledge so I believe that you have found the right place to gain information.   I have been highly impressed with the information and willingness that people on this message board have shown me over the past year.

I will give you a list of things that I have discovered through this past year concerning baseball recruiting.   I welcome others to critic my post if you are in disagreement.

1) Baseball recruiting is as much about timing and being in the right place in front of the right person as much as anything.   I know of really talented baseball players that have been impressive at every outing that haven't gotten so much as a sniff from D1 schools.   I have also seen players that I wouldn't select for a baseball team under any circumstances that have committed to SEC schools.   I truly believe that the key to college baseball recruiting is being at the right event, performing at a high level, and having the right assistant coach in the audience at that time.   

2) Most of the D1 schools have already finished their 2024 recruitment.   There may be a few schools that are still going to look at 2024 players this summer, but I would say all of the Power 5 programs and most of the Mid Majors are already looking at 2025 and Juco players. and have closed the book on their 2024 classes.

3) I do believe that playing with a reputable travel organization and having a coaching advocate within that organization is key.   You have to have a travel ball coach making phone calls on your behalf to these college programs so that you can get on their radar.   

4) It does you no good to simply show up at a Showcase.   If you are going to a showcase then you need to make sure that some assistant coaches know that you are there, and that they are going to look for your performance.   In my opinion this is where having a good email campaign and travel ball coach reaching out to programs is key.   Showing up at Atlanta to pitch 2 innings in a PG showcase is a waste of time.   Showing up at Atlanta to pitch 2 innings in front of 10 college assistant coaches that are there to specifically watch you pitch is very important.

5) College prospects camps are a complete waste of time unless the coaches at that school are directly communicating with you with text messages and phone calls asking you to specifically to come to their camps.  Ignore all of the generic email camp invites.  If they coaches aren't specifically asking you to come throw or perform in front of them, then they aren't going to notice anything you do.   I am convinced that prospect camps are all about making money, and putting eyes on the 4-5 players that they specifically want to see.   And they have already figured that our prior to the camp.   

6) The transfer portal significantly hurts high school players and their recruitment.

7) I believe that college baseball is a cutthroat business.  There are a lot of kids that are committed to D1 schools right now in the 2024 class that are going to either find out that they are no longer a take by their commitment school by the time they graduate from high school, or find out in their first year in the college program that they don't have a future with that baseball program.   

You have learned well, grasshopper!

My son was just starting to throw hard as a junior in high school and also had good academics.  In Feb. of junior year, nothing was happening recruiting-wise. So, we asked him to make a list of about 40 schools he would consider for college AND baseball (outside of the obvious top 50 programs).  Then he made a recruiting video at the local PBR facility  (no music with essential stats and GPA on the first frame) and started emailing the recruiting coaches at those 40 schools.  He also, as @Ster mentioned, got super lucky; a local coach of an opposing team saw him pitch in the spring and recommended him to his buddy on the Canes American team for the summer before senior year.  He kept emailing coaches with updates and playing through the spring and summer. He was offered by three HA D1 schools by the beginning of August before his senior year. Two of the three were on his original list.  He did absolutely NO social media at all, mainly because he doesn't care for it and thinks it is all fake.

So for us, it was a combination of getting our son to own his own recruiting process PLUS a bit of luck.  I don't think your son needs an advisor unless you have a scout in your dining room this winter break (which is possible, of course, but will be evident pretty soon and at that point, you'll have plenty of time to find someone before the summer after senior year).  Good luck and keep the group posted on what happens.  It is an exciting time.

@RHP_Parent posted:

My son was just starting to throw hard as a junior in high school and also had good academics.  In Feb. of junior year, nothing was happening recruiting-wise. So, we asked him to make a list of about 40 schools he would consider for college AND baseball (outside of the obvious top 50 programs).  Then he made a recruiting video at the local PBR facility  (no music with essential stats and GPA on the first frame) and started emailing the recruiting coaches at those 40 schools.  He also, as @Ster mentioned, got super lucky; a local coach of an opposing team saw him pitch in the spring and recommended him to his buddy on the Canes American team for the summer before senior year.  He kept emailing coaches with updates and playing through the spring and summer. He was offered by three HA D1 schools by the beginning of August before his senior year. Two of the three were on his original list.  He did absolutely NO social media at all, mainly because he doesn't care for it and thinks it is all fake.

So for us, it was a combination of getting our son to own his own recruiting process PLUS a bit of luck.  I don't think your son needs an advisor unless you have a scout in your dining room this winter break (which is possible, of course, but will be evident pretty soon and at that point, you'll have plenty of time to find someone before the summer after senior year).  Good luck and keep the group posted on what happens.  It is an exciting time.

Great post! The more ownership the athlete has in the process, the better imo.

There are so many incongruities in the original and following posts.
  We are being told that a ‘24 RHP in the baseball hotbed of Arizona, that is 6’-1” & 190 lbs as a HS Jr, throws 90, throws 70% strikes, and has a big league breaking ball, has no college offers. That doesn’t add up.
  In one comment the term IVB is used to describe the breaking ball. But the bio says “desire to be a Bird Scout.” I’m guessing the intent was Birddog Scout. Which only exist informally now. But maybe the wording was expressing the desire to scout for the Orioles, Blue Jays, or Cardinals. Who knows. But that doesn’t add up either. Especially after attending “draft school.”
  Mention is made of wanting to find a draft advisor. But there are no college offers. That doesn’t add up.  
   I could go on. But at this point I think it’s one of two things. Either someone is looking at things thru rose colored parent goggles or we have been introduced to @ I am that Gal. Nothing else makes sense.

1) Baseball recruiting is as much about timing and being in the right place in front of the right person as much as anything.   I   I truly believe that the key to college baseball recruiting is being at the right event, performing at a high level, and having the right assistant coach in the audience at that time.   

5) College prospect camps are a complete waste of time unless the coaches at that school are directly communicating with you with text messages and phone calls asking you to specifically attend their camps.

Nice Post @Ster. I kept your points that were particularly relevant to my son's journey.  As for #5, that $75 we spent for a position based college specific prospect camp was the best $75 out of $$$ that we spent on showcases and camps.

Also no one asked so I'll inquire to @Beisbol Life. Has your son taken the SAT's/AC?. Even if some schools and even high academic schools may say they are "test" optional, if your son is HA, a good board score can break many a tie. Another poster mentions if he opts the public university route, the would be eligible for some academic aid. Also @Beisbol Life, looking at the Title of this thread, does your son see himself as a pitcher who hits, or a hitter (position player)  who can pitch? If he does have the measurables you say and is not adverse to moving out East, there should be some opportunity to play in the Ivy league, and also continuing to hit and pitch. Where else (besides P) has he played in the field?

@Consultant posted:

Adbono

There are no “bird dog scout schools in Flagstaff Az. Also at 5,000 ft elevation no curveball.
Bob

There is a “scout school” of sorts in Phoenix but it isn’t affiliated with MLB. As told to me by a current MLB scout, it won’t teach you anything you don’t already know if you have played, coached, taught, scouted, and observed baseball for most of your life. But as you know, MLB eliminated almost all Associate Scouts a few years ago when the pendulum swung too far towards analytics.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.