Skip to main content

Can someone remind me what ACT a kid needs to get into an Ivy League school?  What score is needed if a RHP throwing 90?  I like to think of my kid as HA, but my impression was that there was a difference between standard HA and Ivy.  Might be only 2-3 points on the ACT, but those points move you from the low 90th percentile into the 99th.

Here are a few links on the AI (Academic Index) used by IVies. The first is a little outdated (as my HS guidance counselor where I work says there are no more SAT subject tests. But it still shows how HYP are the three Ivies with the highest thresholds of the 8. The second article actually has an AI calculator, so you can see where you land based on SAT/ACT and GPA. I also remember when my son calculated his AI SEVERAL years ago, class rank (and out of how many) was another data point that went into AI.

https://www.mka.org/uploaded/c...elines_Worksheet.pdf

https://toptieradmissions.com/.../college-calculator/

Can someone remind me what ACT a kid needs to get into an Ivy League school?  What score is needed if a RHP throwing 90?  I like to think of my kid as HA, but my impression was that there was a difference between standard HA and Ivy.  Might be only 2-3 points on the ACT, but those points move you from the low 90th percentile into the 99th.

My son was told SAT’s needed to be 1300-1350 depending on the school. I found a website that states the ACT equivalent to 1300-1320 is 28. So, 28 to 30? Students also need to be in high honors and AP courses. GPA 3.5 at a minimum.

My son took a different route after getting injured. There are posters here who can post information based on their kids getting accepted.

Last edited by RJM

I have posted this before but the better the player the lower the score.

I know of a kid with a 2.99 non weighted gpa with “some” rigor from a very good private school who got into Cornell pre Covid. 2nd line as a freshman and 1st line as a Sophomore/Junior. Another kid was a national team captain who had a sub 26 ACT who was basically begged to choose Harvard. Did not go there.

My kid was told 28/29.  Again pre Covid.

@used2lurk posted:

Yes hockey. Different then baseball with # of scholarships and recruiting more international kids too. The goal was to illustrate how they definitely have some flexibility with elite athletes.

Recruiting is also different in that a lot of kids play juniors hoping to turn pro by twenty. If not, they head for college. A twenty year old freshman in college hockey is normal.

@used2lurk posted:

The most elite (the kids I know in this example) were straight from HS to college. That is the case with the high end players.

The most elite American hockey players go straight to college. But a majority of  D1 college rosters are loaded with 20yo freshman.

Boston University has been a ranked team most years for fifty years. Before Jack Parker retired he commented on the evolution of hockey recruiting. He started by recruiting as many Boston area kids as possible. Then, the number of programs moving into D1 expanded. Teams recruited on “Do you want to skate fourth line for BU or first line for us.” Parker said he had to go regional recruiting all over the northeast. As D1 hockey expanded again teams started recruiting 20yo Juniors players as freshmen. Parker was against it at first. BU fell out of the rankings. Parker changed to recruiting part elite 18yos and 20yo Juniors players. He realized as elite as an 18yo may be fast and skilled. But, it’s hard to physically compete with 20yo men in the corners.

If you look at college hockey rosters it’s the one sport that doesn’t typically list  date of birth.

An Ivy did not blink with a 1250 SAT for a 2022 grad. This will of course if recruiter or PC loves what he sees from your kid.

I have to throw in Cory Booker's tweet. He is a Stanford grad and Senator from Joisey.

(Yes. Got into Stanford because of a 4.0 and 1600 (4.0 Yards/Carry and 1600 receiving yards)

Last edited by 2022NYC
@2022NYC posted:

An Ivy did not blink with a 1250 SAT for a 2022 grad. This will of course if recruiter or PC loves what he sees from your kid.

I have to throw in Cory Booker's tweet. He is a Stanford grad and Senator from Joisey.

(Yes. Got into Stanford because of a 4.0 and 1600 (4.0 Yards/Carry and 1600 receiving yards)

A special ed kid from our high school got a full football ride to Vanderbilt. I joked it was because of his 4.25. It wasn't his GPA. It was his forty time. He lasted one season. He transferred to a local D1. He flunked out before he became eligible.

I was shocked Vanderbilt recruited him. He was on probation for knocking out a cop who was attempting to arrest him for a misdemeanor theft. I guess it just means more in the SEC.

Last edited by RJM

There is no one answer.  It ALWAYS depends on the recruits "hook" or ability to stand out with the HC and Admissions as well as the candidate pool at that time.  Just as your son is evaluating his options, Ivys are evaluating a potential recruit against others in their recruiting pool in terms of academics and skills.  The ideal recruit in their minds is a D1 P5 skilled recruit who has the necessary SAT or ACT to get the nod from Ivy admissions, and he wants to attend an Ivy.  If that doesn't happen then it is onto the next recruit on their big board,  again in terms of academics and skills.   Then they work themselves back in talent from that point.

My son was throwing over 90mph with 3 pitches 13 years ago when he was recruited by 4 Ivys.   He had 2150 on 3-part SAT (thankfully, that 3-part experiment died quickly), but yet 2 of the Ivys dropped out of the running when it came to the business-end of recruiting.  They believed they had a better recruit(s) in terms of academics and athletics so they cut bait with my son.  Luckily, he stood out with the other 2 Ivys.  Just because he met the 90 mph metric 13 years ago didn't mean "jack".   He was competing for a rare slot among many recruits, and it was tough.

The single best indicator for a potential Ivy recruit is knowing that he has his academic house in order and other D1s are seriously pursuing/offering him.  This gives the recruit a fighters chance and possible leverage.   The metrics keep changing, so I wouldn't use that as the best guidance.   As @RHP_Parent suggested, the coaches will tell you what they need.  It became very clear in our experience.

As always, just my opinion or experience.

Middle son was offered a great scholarship, pretty much the elusive, at a HA school.  It was because almost every other player was on full ride academic.  The HC told son I have a slot that I can get you in on.  I'm just not sure I can keep you here.  Once here you have to make the grades and there is no basket weaving.  At least, he was honest.

@fenwaysouth posted:

There is no one answer.  It ALWAYS depends on the recruits "hook" or ability to stand out with the HC and Admissions as well as the candidate pool at that time.  Just as your son is evaluating his options, Ivys are evaluating a potential recruit against others in their recruiting pool in terms of academics and skills.  The ideal recruit in their minds is a D1 P5 skilled recruit who has the necessary SAT or ACT to get the nod from Ivy admissions, and he wants to attend an Ivy.  If that doesn't happen then it is onto the next recruit on their big board,  again in terms of academics and skills.   Then they work themselves back in talent from that point.

My son was throwing over 90mph with 3 pitches 13 years ago when he was recruited by 4 Ivys.   He had 2150 on 3-part SAT (thankfully, that 3-part experiment died quickly), but yet 2 of the Ivys dropped out of the running when it came to the business-end of recruiting.  They believed they had a better recruit(s) in terms of academics and athletics so they cut bait with my son.  Luckily, he stood out with the other 2 Ivys.  Just because he met the 90 mph metric 13 years ago didn't mean "jack".   He was competing for a rare slot among many recruits, and it was tough.

The single best indicator for a potential Ivy recruit is knowing that he has his academic house in order and other D1s are seriously pursuing/offering him.  This gives the recruit a fighters chance and possible leverage.   The metrics keep changing, so I wouldn't use that as the best guidance.   As @RHP_Parent suggested, the coaches will tell you what they need.  It became very clear in our experience.

As always, just my opinion or experience.

Much valuable info by @fenwaysouth above. I learned much about the HA process from him, and my son went through it a few years after Fenway's son. Truly liked what he bolded above. Though son was high on the board at the HA school he would attend, the school didn't pull the trigger until Big State U program gave him an offer. Son's school offered the night  (After he played a doubleheader) of his  official visit to the State U earlier that day. Quite the whirlwind day for RipkenFanSon. Everyone's journey is different; the important think is to find the best academic, athletic, geographic, etc.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.