Richmond-Area HS Season!

Today starts the tryout period for public schools, though I believe the private schools are already well into practices.  By the end of this week, we should see how rosters shape up.  Typically programs know their junior and senior classes already, but seeing how rosters fill out is always interesting.  Who's going to lean heavily on younger players?  Who in the sophomore class will make measurable varsity contributions?  Are there any freshmen who figure to be up there as well?

How does Hanover look as we begin the post-Dragum era?

Can anyone compete with Benedictine?

South of the river, I see ample pitching at Cosby.  Manchester has one arm out for the season, so I'm not sure how they look overall (though their # 1 is definitely solid).  James River has one strong arm at least, but some younger guys will have to step up to replace a D1 arm who transferred to Benedictine.  Do the heavy offenses at Thomas Dale or Prince George have enough arms to allow them to hang with Cosby and the rest? 

Original Post

For those not aware, Benedictine is freakin' loaded again this year.  The senior class includes Jamari Baylor (Louisburg commit), who may be the most talented player in the area this year, proven stud RHP Casey Green (Coastal Carolina commit), as well as Brett Cook (Tulane commit, back after a stint at IMG Academy in FL), who is not only talented but tough as nails.  West Point commit Jack Anderson (RHP/1B/OF) has come over from James River, while Jay Woolfolk and Brett Allen anchor a strong sophomore class.  Jack Hall showed HR power last year, and Matt Sylvia is healthy this year.  Those are just the guys that come immediately to mind -- apologies if I overlooked anyone.

I love going to Benedictine games.  Always going to see good baseball talent, and ... IT'S FREE!

Here's what I know so far -- and I'll edit to add to this as new info comes to me:

Saturday, March 2 -- everything that I knew of got cancelled due to the heavy rains the night before.

Monday, March 4

4:30 Meadowbrook at L.C. Bird

Tuesday, March 5

5:00 Benedictine split squad at J.R. Tucker

Time uncertain:  Benedictine split squad at Hermitage

5:30  Atlee at Colonial Heights (Note:  JV game, Colonial Heights at Atlee)

Wed. March 6

no games known

Thurs. March 7

5:00 Thos. Dale at Hermitage

5:00 Benedictine at Goochland

6:00 Maggie Walker at Lee-Davis

Friday March 8

4:30 Powhatan at Matoaca

5:15 Deep Run at James River (JV teams playing at Deep Run)

Sat. March 9

10:00 Atlee at Stafford (Note:  JV game, Stafford at Atlee)

11:00 Liberty Christian at Godwin

1:00 Riverbend at Clover HIll

1:00 Fredericksburg Christian at Trinity

2:00 Midlothian at Benedictine

Benedictine's Monday game didn't happen.  My understanding is they will play 2 split-squad games tonight, one at Tucker and one at Hermitage.

The Cosby-Powhatan game has been pushed back to Thursday.

Above listing has been edited to incorporate these changes, as well as the Atlee info (thanks, JimmyMac!).

Just glad they got to play, though it was definitely a cold one last night!  I understand both Benedictine plans for last night got scratched due to ongoing, poor field conditions.  At this rate, we'll get to the regular season without anyone having had any live action beyond intrasquads at their own practices.

Add Reply

Likes (0)