Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Many modern fans don't realize how great a player Musial was. Just look at the incredible number of doubles and triples he was hitting while being a consistant 25 to 35 HR guy. He had to be running hard out of the box every time. This is a modern slugger who hit 177 three baggers! Incredible!

I've told the story of last season talking to the old Boston Red Sox ace pitcher "Boo" Ferris who is also 92 years old and pitched a shutout against Stan's Cardinals in the 1946 World Series. He said late in the game Musial hit a triple to right field and tore around those bases. Luckily "Boo" got the next guy out and stranded Musial to preserve the shutout. But Boo commented that Musial could really run great.

He is somewhat forgotten by modern fans who perhaps don't realize he was right up there as the National League eqivelent of DiMaggio and Williams. He just never married movie stars or caused a commotion with fans or sportswriters. He was never thrown out of a game in 22 years of playing. Until the last four or five years of his career he had a lifetime average in the .340's.

He was an incredible St. Louis and baseball icon and it's sad to see the last stars of the 1940's and 1950's passing away. His shoulder injury that ended his pitching career in Class D ball was probably the most fortunate shoulder injury in the history of baseball for both the Cardinals and all baseball fans.
Last edited by Three Bagger
I've been lucky enough to meet Stan a few times. The last time was at our All American game in 2003 (Then the Aflac All American Game). He was always one of the good guys and never gave the impression he was extra important. He always had his harmonica in his pocket and would often entertain. Surely Stan or maybe Bob Feller hold the record for signing autographs. Stan was one of the greatest hitters ever and an even greater representative of the game.

As great as Pujols was/is, he would never replace Stan in St Louis.

justbaseball, You bring back some great memories. A few years ago we started to present an award at the banquet in honor of Nick Adenhart. Nick was the pitcher we selected to start that very first All American game. The starting pitcher for the West team was Homer Bailey. Nick's stepdad used to post on this site.

I will never forget that first game in 2003. I'm sure no one who was there will ever forget it. Dexter Fowler, Gio Gonzalez, Neil Walker, etc. 14 of the players in that game have gone on to play in the Major Leagues and that number could still grow. The only negative was the player who ended up being the first pick overall the following year. Hopefully, his story will serve as a harsh reminder to future young players.
As in Cardinal tradition for all players, son got to meet, Musial, Herzog, Gibson, Schoendienst, plus in the clubhouse with LaRussa, Duncan, McGwire, Pujols, Carp, etc. just to name a few.

There are very few MLB teams that have such a rich tradition and history. I am glad son had a chance, if only for awhile to be a part of it.
There can be no doubts that Stan Musial was one of the greatest players of all time. If there is a short list of greatest players, he is on it.

I feel the same way now as when Bob Feller recently passed away - sad and proud for America that such a great individual was produced here in this great country of ours.

Stan was from the same state I was born in Pennsylvania and maybe that is why I've always had an affinity for him. From what I've heard of him, he was 100% class. He never forgot the humble circumstances from which he came.

Borrowing from Shakespeare, We shall not look upon his like again.

I would be remiss not to mention the great Earl Weaver here either. One of the best Managers I've ever seen and his own man. Did it his way.

RIP - Earl and Stan...
Last edited by ClevelandDad
I grew up in St. Louis. On the day that Stan passed the St. Louis Blues Hockey team scored six goals to honor Stan! Smile

I grew up in St Louis. Stan is my dad's favorite player. He had the opportunity to meet Stan at a local radio executive's wedding in St Louis.My dad went to use the bathroom and lo an behold who comes up next to my dad but Stan the Man.

My dad debated with himself if he should speak to him or not. He decided not to let the chance slip away. He told Stan about the time that he and his brother spent 7.5 hours watching a cards double header when Stan hit five home runs in the two games. Stan was very appreciative that my dad shared that story with him. My dad said he was a class act.

I asked my Dad did you get to shake his hand.....never forget what he said. "No we were busy shaking something else Big Grin

I read something today that in over 12000 at bats he only struck out a little over 600 times. That is unbelievable.

RIP Stan....your are one of the best.
quote:
Originally posted by justbaseball:
Probably my father-in-law's favorite player. He got to meet Stan the Man when he was a host in the first AFLAC game that my son played in.

I drove down to watch that game in Fort Myers, and was sitting a few rows in front of Stan, without realizing it - until people came up and started talking to him, and I realized how nice he was to EVERYONE. Still regret not shaking his hand, but just to witness his gracious way, was worth the 6 hour round trip. He reminded my of my father and of all that was good in that generation.
Last edited by justbaseball

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.