Skip to main content

School Ranking

RivalsHigh Baseball Atlantic East Region

Listed below are the rankings for the Atlantic East region.

Top Three for Virginia are:

1. Poquoson
2. McLean
3. West Springfield

Compiled by Dallas Jackson (email)
Senior Analyst for RivalsHigh.com.

The preseason RivalsHigh Top 100 baseball rankings will be released Tuesday. Until then, here’s a look at the top ten teams in the Atlantic East.

Team City State Record

1 Ardrey Kell, Charlotte NC 27-8

Ardrey Kell has the talent to repeat as the top team in North Carolina in 2010. A solid season should maintain its national Top 10 ranking.

2 Poquoson, Poquoson VA 28-1

The Islanders ended the 2009 season No. 29 nationally and No. 2 in the state. They open the 2010 season with targets on their back and in the pole position. Virginia-bound Kyle Crockett was 13-0 with 96 strikeouts in 2009.

3 Christian, Charlotte NC 30-3

The Knights won a state title in 2009 and have the top prospect in the state - Ty Linton (.456 - 12 HR - 50 RBI) to pace the offense. Charlotte Christian will sign no fewer than four Division I players.

4 Toms River South, Toms River NJ 22-8

For the first time in a long while, a team not called Don Bosco will begin as the No. 1 team in the state. The Indians return 17 letterman from the 2009 team and are led by pitcher Andrew McGee.

5 Germantown Academy, Ft Washington PA 20-4

Germantown Academy bounced in-and-out of the RivalsHigh rankings in 2009 and the 2010 version will be tested to maintain the lofty rankings in the Inter-Academic League. The Patriots are led by one of the best pure hitters in the country, Sean Coyle, and one of the best prospects for the Class of 2012, Chris Harvey.

6 Calvert Hall, Towson MD 26-4

Calvert Hall returns one of the deepest teams in the country with its top four pitchers all coming back. The squad that helped win the schools fifth straight MIAA title also brings back a veteran infield with every starter returning with the lone exception being at third base.

7 Mclean, McLean VA 19-6

The Highlanders are a surprise team to be No. 2 in the state of Virginia but with the team they return, it is tough to overlook them.

8 West Springfield, Springfield VA 25-5

The Spartans nearly knocked off Menchville in the playoffs in 2009 and return over half of the starters in 2010 giving fans in Springfield a lot of hope for a great season.

9 Mamaroneck, Mamaroneck NY 23-4

The Tigers won the 2009 Class AA title in New York state and look poised to repeat in 2010. The team is led by catcher Mike Rosenfeld and returns 17 lettermen to the diamond.

10 Malvern Prep, Malvern PA 27-7

The Friars play a freelance schedule and are not eligible to win a Pennsylvania state title. However, in 2009, the team took two-of-three from Germantown Academy.

The RivalsHigh 100 rankings are compiled by Dallas Jackson with the help of the Rivals.com network of high school site publishers, recruiting analysts and AMP team. To view the site in your area click here.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Rankings are always fun if you are fortunate enough to be on a team that's listed.

FWIW, Rivals is playing catch-up when it comes to baseball. They seem to be relied upon more heavily for football and basketball, but they historically don't know their heads from holes in the ground when it comes to baseball. I think they are more in the nature of a rumor mill than, say, Baseball America, PGX, Collegiate Baseball or Sports Illustrated/RISE, which are far from perfect but at least invest a bit of research before posting anything.
Last edited by Midlo Dad
Agreed about Rivals......its nice that they are starting to throw their hat in the baseball ring, but they have a long way to go.

I have posted before that I think McLean has a heck of a team this year and that program has come a long way in the past few years......but they still have to prove they can win one regional game before anyone slots them ahead of West Springfield (or Lake Braddock, or several other local teams). Top 10 in DC area? OK I'd agree with that. East coast? They have a lot to prove before they should get that much love.

Never seen Poquoson but I would have to think that they and Mechville should be listed way ahead of McLean. Maybe Manchester, too.

Definitely not knocking any of McLean's players or coaches, who I think are all first class. Im just saying they need to prove more before they get this type of respect IMO.

That has a lot to do with Rivals being way behind as Midlo pointed out.
Last edited by vabaseballfan
quote:
Originally posted by vabaseballfan:

Never seen Poquoson but I would have to think that they and Mechville should be listed way ahead of McLean. Maybe Manchester, too.

That has a lot to do with Rivals being way behind as Midlo pointed out.

once again just opinions, but on baseball America they ranked Menchville 5th for this year. But none of these other teams are listed. Not saying anything bad about these programs because they are all top notch, but these rivals polls are a joke
Baseball America has two Virginia teams in its National Top 50 Pre-Season Poll:

#6 - Menchville

#48 - Paul VI

Personally, I think it's great for good high school teams to get recognition in whatever poll - it's probably deserved in each case. But it's only a marker of a program's accomplishment to date, not really how they stack up against one school or another. Really, it's a fruitless pursuit to say one high school team in California is better than another team in Florida, Texas, Virginia, etc., when there is usually absolutely zero chance that they'll ever play each other.
Rumor is that ESPN RISE magazine will feature PVI on its next cover (Tyler Costello, Eric McGee, and Lansing Veeder) yet not rank PVI in top 50.

I would find it hard to believe that McLean is a better team this year than Menchville or PVI. West Springfield should be loaded, and maybe McLean is, too, but I saw them play last year and they seemed like a good, but not great, team, and I saw nothing to lead me to believe that they had junior and sophomore talent that would blossom in 2010 such that they warrant a high regional ranking. But I wish them well, and would love to see them fulfill the ranking.

I would agree with the posters that point out how fickle such polls are. Is there really any way to compare, say, West Springfield with even Calvert Hall, much less top schools in Florida, California, or Texas?

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.