Skip to main content

Hello. I am from just north of Dallas, and my son's team is playing in this tournament next weekend. They are playing at KC Sports Complex, and wondered if anyone could tell me anything about the complex. Nice? Allow metal spikes? Allow coolers? Any info would be appreciated-thank you very much.
Randy
"Do the next right thing."
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Well, if your team is 14U, you are probably playing at the Council Bluffs Sports Complex. No problem on spikes. KC Sports is money hungry like most USSSA organizations so coolers aren't generally allowed. Water coolers for the players are usually fine.

You'd think that an $825 entry fee would cover KC SPorts expenses as that's over $150K for the 180 teams that will be there. They'll stick it to us on a gate fee too. Nothing like paying to watch your kid play!
wow i think my perspective is a little different... i played in this tournament a few years ago and i thought it was great -- the competition was strong, the umpiring was professional, the fields were manicured, the facilities were clean. i know these tournaments are expensive, but i have great memories of my teammates and coaches and the wins and losses we shared together. i doubt i would have made varsity as a sophomore without these tournament experiences.
My son also played at this tournament a few years ago. The kids had a great time as did the parents. While we didn't play at that particular venue, the place we played was very nice and coolers were allowed in. We didn't have any trouble with staff or umpires, just some wild parents from the other team Roll Eyes

Most importantly, the kids will remember the trip for a lifetime. They met many players that are now in the pros, some even in the majors. The players from the colleges were very gracious and seemed to enjoy the adoration of the younger kids. Definitely well worth it.
I spoke nothing of the experience, only the cost associated with it due to greed.

The big sell of this tournament is that it coincides with the College World Series. Yes, the players love going to the games and being around the atmosphere. Usually the competition is good as well but that doesn't justify the tournament entry fee being twice to three times that of any other tournament. You also take a big hit on hotel rooms as the prices are jacked up for the World Series. $200+ per night is the norm for a usual $79/night hotel room.

My son is going too and we'll enjoy the atmosphere as well. I'm just getting tired of tournament directors' excessive greed. At least get rid of the gate fees.
quote:
Originally posted by 2deuce:
no one forced you to pay for your son to play on his travel team. if the cost bothers you so much, why not just tell him to play for a non-travel team?

I don't get this either.

Most tournament fee directors DO charge gate fees and usually that is a very small percentage in the general scheme of things when playing travel ball. If that bothers you stay home.

In HS my son played two tourneys out in Omaha during the CWS, what a great impressionable experience. I do beleive that experience led to motivation,working hard and getting into a great program so that he could return years later as a participant.

Yes, it was expensive, but worth every dollar.
Last edited by TPM
Thanks folks. The trip went well, the boys represented themselves well and everyone had a good time, I think. We were blessed to escape the storms Wednesday night(I sat in a truck stop about 50 miles away for about 3 hours, while some rode it out in Omaha). All in all, a poitive experience for the kids. My prayers go out to those in Iowa who were blasted by those storms and condolences to the families of those who lost loved ones. May God bless you all!
Our team played at the Council Bluffs complex last week in the 16U Division Road to Omaha tourney. The weather was great. A couple of "heads up" items regarding the site...

The grass on all of the fields was especially long. I'm talking 4" or more. The ball would actually get stuck in the grass. This was really tough on infielders playing on the field with grass infields (most, if not all of the younger teams played on dirt infields).

Once the sun goes down, you better have some good bug spray ready. The mosquitos were out of control.
quote:
Originally posted by TPM:
quote:
Originally posted by 2deuce:
no one forced you to pay for your son to play on his travel team. if the cost bothers you so much, why not just tell him to play for a non-travel team?

I don't get this either.

Most tournament fee directors DO charge gate fees and usually that is a very small percentage in the general scheme of things when playing travel ball. If that bothers you stay home.

In HS my son played two tourneys out in Omaha during the CWS, what a great impressionable experience. I do beleive that experience led to motivation,working hard and getting into a great program so that he could return years later as a participant.

Yes, it was expensive, but worth every dollar.

Wow, I'm bothered by something so I shouldn't voice my opinion and just stay home. Wow, just.. WOW!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.