Skip to main content

@JCG posted:

For us non Texans… is the A&M job that much of a bigger deal than TCU?

22and25 is right, but beyond that most obvious of reasons it’s a bigger deal in other ways too. Big state school vs private. Aggies have much larger alumni base and is recognized as a better academic institution than TCU. A&M baseball has been relevant longer, but TCU has been more relevant lately. Nothing at all wrong with TCU, but in California terms I would say it’s like comparing Pepperdine (w/o the setting) to UCLA.

The only upside I see for a coach is that it’s easier to recruit to a school that is in state 13k and out of state 38k vs 70k at TCU. Schlossnagle has complained before about how he can give a 50% scholarship and a kid is still paying way more than another school giving them 25%. That said he says he is staying. Fort Worth is a nice city and good sized vs. College Station but it’s all what you’re looking for.

@baseballhs posted:

The only upside I see for a coach is that it’s easier to recruit to a school that is in state 13k and out of state 38k vs 70k at TCU. Schlossnagle has complained before about how he can give a 50% scholarship and a kid is still paying way more than another school giving them 25%. That said he says he is staying. Fort Worth is a nice city and good sized vs. College Station but it’s all what you’re looking for.

Fair point about Ft Worth vs College Station. Gimme Cow Town.

@baseballhs posted:

A&M is 31k in state and 60k for out of state.  A&M is not known for a lot of merit money.  The average aid package at TCU is 28k.  A&M recruits almost exclusively in state while TCU adds about 1/3 of their roster from out of state players.  The above is a big reason for that.   

I dont think it has anything to do with who is the HC. But rather the yearly tuition. I may be wrong, do they give Vandy or Miami type of scholarships?

CUSA had a banner year for some programs. They also had a pretty weird conference set up and had to get through Charlotte, Southern Miss, Old Dominion, and La Tech. The top conference teams.

@TPM posted:

I dont think it has anything to do with who is the HC. But rather the yearly tuition. I may be wrong, do they give Vandy or Miami type of scholarships?

CUSA had a banner year for some programs. They also had a pretty weird conference set up and had to get through Charlotte, Southern Miss, Old Dominion, and La Tech. The top conference teams.

Rice has a huge endowment and offers a lot of financial aid in many different ways. They also offer tuition waivers/discounts based on family income. Rice recruited my son and it got far enough along that we did a financial analysis. They never offered but if they would have (and it was accepted) the cost of attendance would have been around 20K per year.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.