Skip to main content

This is a question that I ask our students in our Area Code clinics and in our International Goodwill Series.

"What is the role of the hitter"?

answer: "see the ball"!

While watching the recent playoffs I noticed the # of hitters "pulling their head" during their swing. Has the desire for bat "exit" velocity created this weakness in hitters.

"watch the ball hit the bat"

"look for the red seams on the ball"

Bob

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I’m at the Baseball Factory All Star Classic in Frisco TX right now and I’m seeing the same thing. Huge swings - even with2 strikes - and a lot of swing and miss. Video board flashing exit velo on every ball hit during HR derby doesn’t help matters. PTWood’s son is playing in this event (what a great looking kid btw) and had a chance to meet her husband - who is a super nice guy! 

@adbono posted:

I’m at the Baseball Factory All Star Classic in Frisco TX right now and I’m seeing the same thing. Huge swings - even with2 strikes - and a lot of swing and miss. Video board flashing exit velo on every ball hit during HR derby doesn’t help matters. PTWood’s son is playing in this event (what a great looking kid btw) and had a chance to meet her husband - who is a super nice guy! 

Sounds awesome and once again this is what the HSBBW is all about!

@adbono posted:

So glad you are there! We think he's pretty cute too...oh you mean baseball-wise?  Not his best game so far but he got the RBI for the American Team so that's good! Plus, the inning at first was fun. Haven't seen him there in years!

These days the role of the hitter really depends on the level they are playing.  Middle of the order guys in the SEC need to know how to bunt.  The Milwaukee Brewers attempted zero bunts in their entire 60 game season this year.  A big slow singles hitter has value in many D3 programs. In Power 5, if you are big and slow you better be able to consistently hit the ball 400+ feet.

I think you need to find a happy medium to swing hard but in control. I think driveline did a study with their hitters and best outcome was when hitters swing at 90-95% of their max bat speed (63-67 for a 70 mph max bat speed guy).

So you need a good max batspeed but also the ability to swing as controlled and mechanically clean as possible at a sub max speed.

But still it is better to have something extra in the tank, a guy who maxes at 75 has more to give than a guy maxing at 65

@Consultant posted:

This is a question that I ask our students in our Area Code clinics and in our International Goodwill Series.

"What is the role of the hitter"?

answer: "see the ball"!

While watching the recent playoffs I noticed the # of hitters "pulling their head" during their swing. Has the desire for bat "exit" velocity created this weakness in hitters.

"watch the ball hit the bat"

"look for the red seams on the ball"

Bob

Gotta be talking about the Reds Futility in the Playoffs, records set. 

Bob,

I'm definitely no hitting expert...my kids were pitchers.  However, when I used to Coach youth travel teams I would tell my hitters to focus on the ball coming out of the pitchers hand and let the bat do all the work.    That is the same advice I was given by my college tennis coach....see the ball hit the opponents racket and let the racket do the work through a consistent swing.   Golf is the same deal, keep your eyes on the ball and let the club do the work.   There is no reason to over swing with todays equipment in either sport.   If you let the bat do the work, there is little chance of overswinging and taking your head off the ball.

As always, JMO.

Last edited by fenwaysouth

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.