Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

It is important to have the mind relaxed. "See the ball" is the "fine focus" that the great hitters use. The question is "how to slow the ball". In a game years ago against the "Greatest team in the History of Baseball" - Willie Mays All Stars.
Playing 1st base, I observed Henry Aaron and Ernie Banks, they each had the ability to "slow the ball" in their mind.  Bonds looked for the red seams.

Bob

Consultant posted:

It is important to have the mind relaxed. "See the ball" is the "fine focus" that the great hitters use. The question is "how to slow the ball". In a game years ago against the "Greatest team in the History of Baseball" - Willie Mays All Stars.
Playing 1st base, I observed Henry Aaron and Ernie Banks, they each had the ability to "slow the ball" in their mind.  Bonds looked for the red seams.

Bob

Even the great hitters would tell you they didn’t always see the ball well. Still found ways to be productive in those times. So while seeing the ball certainly is a great mindset, what do you do when you’re not seeing it well?  The word I use the most is compete. 

In reference to Bonds, he had one of the deepest barrel turns in all of baseball, which allowed him to see the ball longer before decision time. 

I apologize if this sounds combative, it is not intended to be. Respectful discussion. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.