Skip to main content

Here’s one maybe some of the umpires can opine on. This happened in a Little League game years ago. 

Two out, runners on 1 & 3. B1 hits a ground ball to second baseman. R1 gets into a rundown between 1st and 2nd. R3 crosses home plate, HC1 (me) is yelling to just tag 2nd base, which the fielder does.

The plate umpire says the run scores. I protest (all star game) and it goes to regionals who finally say the run doesn’t score. The opposing coach was livid and to this day says the run counts because then fielder engaged in a rundown before making the force out at second. 

You got it right. 3rd out on a force play - no run can score.  The fact that the runner danced around between bases does not change anything.

Here's a comment from the LL Rules Instruction Manual on Force Plays and when the Force is removed:

"A FORCE PLAY is a play in which a runner legally loses the right to occupy a base by reason of the batter becoming a runner. (NOTE: Confusion regarding
this play is removed by remembering that frequently the “force” situation is removed during the play. Example: Runner on first, one out, ground ball hit sharply to
first baseman, who touches the bag and the batter-runner is out. The force is removed at that moment and runner advancing to second must be tagged. If there had
been a runner at second or third, and either of these runners scored before the tag-out at second, the run(s) would count. Had the first baseman thrown to second and
the ball had been returned to first the play at second would have been a force-out, making two outs, and the return throw to first would have made the third out. In
that case, no run would score.)"

T Thomas was kind enough to send some links to other exams...  so will keep this going.

With R1 on first breaking with a 3-2
pitch, F1’s pitch hits the front edge of the plate and bounds over the fence. R1 touches second before the ball hits the plate.

a. B1 is awarded second.

b. R1 remains at second.

c. R1 is awarded third.

d. R1 is awarded home

Same answer as before - why wait 5 pitches to steal second if he's that fast ;-)  In this case, no way it's an eephus pitch - that would have bounced back towards the pitcher.

Considering this from my google search - "How long does it take a 60 mph fastball to reach home plate?"... "Divide the distance from the pitching rubber to home plate by the speed of the fastball in feet per second. On a major league ball field this distance is 60 feet 6 inches, or 60.5 feet. For a pitch traveling 139.33 feet per second, you have 60.5/139.33 = 0.434 seconds."

So the runner went say 80 ft in the same time - running faster than 60 mph...  This is yet more proof the test writers never played the sport 

Still it'd take me at least 8.3.3d seconds to get that right ;-)

I have a few years of tests saved in text format - we could keep this going all summer if we needed to

Yesterday's answer... B.   The runner gets 1 base on a pitch that goes out of play.  His last base is determined at time of pitch … no matter how fast he is.

Today's question...

In the top of the first, the visiting coach wants to pinch hit for his starting pitcher (who has not yet faced a batter).
a. He may, provided the starting pitcher re-enters in the bottom of the first.

b. He may, provided the pitcher is also the DH.

c. He may not.

Yesterdays answer  B.   The rubber is in front of both 1st and 3rd base.  The ball never passes a base before being touched in foul territory.

Actually experienced this in my teen years … before the fields were maintained, the mound usually had a big hole in front of the rubber.  

B1 homers over the left-field fence, but doesn’t touch second. As B1 touches third, the third-base coach sends him back to touch the missed base. B1 complies and continues around the bases, touching third and home.
a. Legal play.

b. B1 is out.

c. B1 is out on appeal.

And the average is dropping,  Yesterday's answer C.   When the ball is dead, a runner may not retreat to correct a base running error once they have reached the next base.

Today's question.

The bases are loaded when B1 hits a Texas Leaguer into short left field. F7 picks up the ball and throws wildly toward the plate into the stands. When F7 released the ball, all runners had advanced to the next base, but B1 had not yet reached first.

a. One run scores.

b. Two runs score.

c. Three runs score.

d. B1 is awarded first.

Yesterday's answer  … C   (Another shining example of a poorly worded question and incomplete options for answers).   I have learned to not read too much into the question - and to choose the answer that is MOST right.

Yes B1 would be awarded 2nd as well.

Today's question.

Which of the following do not result in an immediate dead ball?
a. Runner interference.

b. Batter interference.

c. Base umpire interference.

d. A fair batted ball touches a spectator.

e. A balk.

Happy Easter to all.  Next update will be Monday.  

Another poorly worded question and answer.   Possibly a trick question.  Which do NOT result in an immediate dead ball.   The answer sheet says B.  

The thought is … If the batter interferes with the catcher's throw to 2nd or 3rd on a steal, if the runner is out, the play stands.  If safe batter is called out and the runner returns.

Today's question.

B1 asks for and receives time to talk to his 3b coach.  While they are conversing, the defensive coach motions to the pitcher to meet him at the foul line.  As the offensive conference breaks the defensive coach returns to his dugout,

a. Only a defensive conference is charged.

b. Only an offensive conference is charged.

c. Both a defensive and offensive conference is charged.

Yesterday's answer  -  B.  The defensive team is not charged if their conference does not extend beyond that of the offensive team - who requested the time out,

Today's question.

With one out bases loaded, the batter hits a pop up near 1st base.   Infield fly is called.  R1 broke on the contact and was tracking the fly as he returned to 1st base.   In returning he bumped into the fielder making the play.  The fielder - after contact - still makes the catch in foul territory.

a. Only the batter-runner (B1) is out.

b. Only the runner on first (R1) is out.

c. Both B1 and R1 are out.

Yesterday's answer  B.   The interference causes an immediate dead ball.

Today's question...

Runner on third (R3) 0 outs / 3-0 count  Batter swings and misses, ball gets away from catcher.  R3 tries to score, B2 stands in the box and unintentionally interferes with the play at the plate.

a, Batter awarded 1st.

b. R3 returned to third.

c. R3 is out.

d. Batter is out.

e. R3 scores.

Yesterday's answer.  

Today's question.

Which of the following runners are out when hit by a batted ball.

a. A Runner touching a base hit by a fair line drive.

b. A Runner touching a base hit by an infield fly.

c. A Runner hit by a ball previously hit by another runner.

d. A Runner hit in foul territory by a deflected fair ball.

e. None of the above.

f. All of the above

g. A and B

h. A B and C

"A"ssuming there is no infielder (not including the pitcher) that tried to make a play on that ball in front of said runner on a base for the line drive and the umpire is convinced there's no infielder behind the runner that has a play on the ball....  grumble, grumble... A base is only a safety zone on IFR, but if you're not on the base and get hit by an IFR - we've got a double play. 

I have to say I hope those of you playing along and getting wrong answers won't try to make calls from the stands when you get to go to games again sometime in the future 

JohnF posted:

"A"ssuming there is no infielder (not including the pitcher) that tried to make a play on that ball in front of said runner on a base for the line drive and the umpire is convinced there's no infielder behind the runner that has a play on the ball....  grumble, grumble... A base is only a safety zone on IFR, but if you're not on the base and get hit by an IFR - we've got a double play. 

I have to say I hope those of you playing along and getting wrong answers won't try to make calls from the stands when you get to go to games again sometime in the future 

My strike zone from my chair at a 45* angle from the plate is ALWAYS better than the umpire’s! 

John F hit it on the screws.  The answer is A.

Today's Question

R1 on first hit and run is on.  B1 hits a long fly ball to CF that is caught.  R1 touches second on way to 3rd but misses 2nd as he retreats to 1st.   CF overthrows 1st and ball goes out of play.  The umpire correctly awards the R1 3rd base.

a, Since R1 touched 2nd at least 1 time it is not considered a missed base.

b. The award negates the appeal of the missed base.

c. If R1 touches 2nd while proceeding on the award, an appeal on the missed base cannot be upheld.

d. R1 is called out on a proper appeal, whether or not he touched 2nd while advancing on the award.

Friday's answer - C.   Commonly referred to as "last time by".  In short - if a runner properly touches a base the "Last time by" - all other base running errors are negated.  

Today's question:

B1 bunts down the 1st base line … the ball is rolling in foul territory.  In disgust as B1 is running to 1st he intentionally kicks the ball towards the dugout.  The umpire is certain the ball has no chance to roll fair.

a. B1 is issued a warning for the actions.

b. B1 is ejected for unsportsmanlike conduct.

c. B1 is out.

d. The play stands - foul ball.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.