Skip to main content

Coaches,

What pick-off moves or timing plays do you utilize with a runner on 2nd base? I'd really like to minimize the big secondary lead, steals of 3rd on our pitchers, and reduce the # of runners who are automatic scores from 2b on a single.

I'm thinking along the lines of timing plays involving the middle infielders...but any and all input is greatly appreciated.

I realize that timing plays take some coordination, but my goal is to be able to implement them at the jv and fr levels...if that helps. Thanks again.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

For pickoff attempts at second, "success" is defined as scaring the baserunner and the 3B coach. Actually picking somebody is a bonus.

Keep it simple and practice it a lot so that whatever routine you run will not fall apart under game pressure during tight games.

You could have very hardworking SS and 2B's working their tails off to dodge runners back, but if you don't sell your ability and willingness to perform well-executed picks, the smart teams will learn to ignore the feints of your MIFs and start stretching out their leads.

The threat has to be REAL so that the feints of your MIFs are respected.
Last edited by freddy77
We use a pretty simple touch system:
Touch A means "staying home"
Touch B means "halfway"...hard break to get the runner to change direction, then retreat..pitcher throws home at the start of the retreat (the goal is to have the runner moving the wrong direction at the time of the pitch while our MIF is back in his preferred position)
Touch C means "meet me at the bag" with a good throw

We call it after every pitch with a man on 2nd base.

We also use a timing play that can be called from the bench, a MIF, or the catcher.

But in my book, rule #1 is that the Pitcher MUST freeze the runner. Too many guys with walking leads that turn into easy steals. Eliminate forward momentum by freezing the runner and then execute your pitch.

BSBALLFAN...help me out..what is the vault method?
Last edited by schwammi
We have been using the system for years and it is very successful. I learned it in college and most every major college program uses it or some variation.

Most P's get into routines, especially in stressful situations - they go with what feels comfortable. This means they typically use the same amount of looks and/or timing with a runner on 2B.

In our system, the SS controls the running game. After each pitch, he signals the number of looks to the pitcher via touches. The pitcher's only focus is executing the correct amount of looks and throwing a good pitch. There is nothing more frustrating than the pitcher delivering a ball to the plate as the SS breaks on a daylight pick. Routine GBs become runs.

Also, the SS signals picks before the pitch. We have different picks all based off timing, depending on what the runner does.
Offensively the whole point of making the middle work is to open up the field for your hitters. If you want to steal third the best way to do it is to get a primary lead that does not make the middle work. The bottom line is you can get all you want on your secondary from 2b if you know how to properly run the bases. Working your primary and secondary at 2b properly forces the middle to work and you open up the field for your hitters. Lazy baserunning hurts your hitters.

redbird5 is on the money here once again. Work your leads and understand your goal is not to work it to take a bag , your goal is to work it to open up the field and shrink the mif coverage of the field helping your hitters.
IMO the key to stopping the running game at 2B is to cotrol the runner's momentum.Very few base stealers can steal 3B from a stationary lead.(Yes a ++ runner with a long lead can steal 3B)

Keeping the process simple is imperative so that the pitcher can efficiently execute his pitch which is the key element in the equation.Expediting the process,as bsballfan intimated, is important. The longer it takes, the greater chance the runner at second will have momentum & the chance of of your pitcher being focused on executing his pitch will lessen.

First,have the pitcher look to 2B with 90 degree head turn instead of a 180 degree head turn(may have to add a few degrees if the second baseman is responsibility for holding the runner[RHP*). This allows him to get back to his target faster. If he is a look to second throw to home guy that is not necessary.This shorter head turn gets him back to his target sooner & cuts down the time that the runner at 2B has to extend his lead.

Finally, the most important piece of the puzzle. The SS or 2B is responsible for triggering the pick or pitch.If the SS is responsible for holding the runner( i.e.LH pull hitter )he would start on the runner's right shoulder. The second baseman would start close to 2B ( How close would be determined by the situation).If the SS backs straight back or steps toward the 6 hole the pitcher pitches(He could also incorporate a little backhand wave as well),if the SS backs up toward 2B or steps to 2B ( Could open his glove as well) , the pitcher turns his head home & picks. The second baseman steps toward 2B(can flash open hand), the pitcher picks. If he steps straight back(backhand wave?) or steps to the 4 hole, the pitcher pitches. If the pitcher does not like what he sees, he is not obligated to pitch. He can hold the ball or inside move. This is very simple & clear cut.

You want to add predetermined picks to this( i.e. 1 look,2 looks,no look,inside move) that's fine. Mix in no look pitches,slide steps, & catcher picks into the mix & you will & further control the runner at 2B.Whatever your package contains, do it well.Do not complicate the process so much that you have to spend an inordinate amout of time in practice to perfect it

JW
The basic idea of the vault system is that every time the pitcher looks home the runner "vaults" or takes a big jump towards third base. Every time the pitcher looks back to 2B the runner "vaults" or jumps back to 2B.

This is a VERY BASIC version of it....enough for our discussion here. Your more experienced, better guys will vault off other ques as well and as a poster earlier said, it is the best way to steal bases at the higher levels.

It is, however, also the best way to get picked off if you don't know what you are doing.
This type of leap steal technique was developed in the early 60's at the Kansas City Royals Academy in Florida. Joe Tanner, Buzz Keller & Syd Thrift were the architects of the technique.

They theorized that pitchers were predictable because they were creatures of habit. They charted the pitcher in 3 areas. What was his maximum # of looks, did he look at 2nd & throw home or did he look to home & throw home, & what was his tempo once he got to where he was going to be when he initiated his pitch to the plate.( They would run right in the pitcher's face if he was a look to 2nd throw home guy because they felt that the pitcher was looking at the runner but did not see him because his "mind's eye" was "centered" on the hitter & the catcher's target.

They started every runner with a measured lead of 6 to 7 steps(17') from 2B because that was the distance that they could safely get back to 2B if the middle infielder was standing on 2B & the pitcher was facing 2B. From there they wanted "action before movement." In other words they wanted the base runner to move just before the pitcher moved based on the runner's predictability of the pitcher's timing. The action was a 12' sideward leap towards 3B. As soon as the runner lands, he reads the pitcher's front side. If it moves, the pitcher is either pitching or picking. It doesn't matter which because the runner has momentum & only 61' to reach 3B. Based on time & distance the defense has no chance. If the pitcher does not move when the runner lands, the pitcher is more centered on the runner than the hitter. The runner has to leap back & be ready to slide back into 2B. The Royals of the 60's were way ahead of the curve. I think their Academy team stole over 300 bases.

This is different then the "vault" back & forth give & take technique bsballfan describes but I think the genesis of it. The only problem with all that jumping around at 2B is that it is way too distracting for most hitters.

JW

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.