Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Pitcher_77,

Yes, it is slowing you down.  Not so much because your head is moving side to side, but more based on what is causing it.  Good chance it involves your arms, but something is creating a balance and efficiency or tightness problem.  Most athletes never notice this, they simply make the necessary adjustments as they run to a target.  It is those adjustments that end up taking time even if the runner doesn't realize it. The best sprinters will have every body part, every movement, efficiently moving directly inline to the target. Often it is the head movement that reveals a problem.

I'm sure you can google and get more info, along with video of top sprinters.

The good thing with having your problem is it can be fixed and you can run faster.   

Originally Posted by PGStaff:

Google running form, there are several videos on good running form.

Here is one example

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kQfXgIAcl0M

Originally Posted by jlaro:

Have you tried to bite down on your shirt.. chin down.  like when you are taking BP and your coach told you to keep your head in it. 

try biting down on your shift next time you run the 60...might help with the focus and movement.

good luck keep running,

Thank you guys for the great input!

My dad and I go sprinting about 3 times each week so I will be sure to incorporate what was found in the video and try out the shirt biting technique when I go run again...

Originally Posted by Pitcher_77:

This is my first post... I am a 14 year old 2018 grad. and run a 7.4-7.6 60yard dash. I have noticed that when I run my head tends to go side to side when I run and was wondering whether this slows me down or not... If so, any suggestions on how to fix or stop it?

Without seeing you run firsthand or on video it's tough to determine the cause of this, but yes, as others have stated above this is a problem with technique that needs to be addressed. When sprinting it's all about efficiency. Wasted movement equals a slower athlete. Again, without seeing you run it is difficult to know the issue, but many athletes I train have a similar issue of too much side to side movement. To fix this I tell my athletes to pretend that they are wearing a zip-up jacket that is zipped right up the middle. When we pump our arms we don't want our hands to cross the zipper (mid-line of our body). This cue helps you focus on pumping your arms straight ahead instead of side to side. Also, keep those elbow in tight. When the elbow flare out we create more wind resistance.

This may not be an issue with you but go a head and try these cues next time you sprint. It's also a good idea to simply stand in front of a mirror and practice pumping your arms. Limit the side to side movement with your arms and you may very well just fix you head-moving-side-to-side problem as well.

Originally Posted by Austin Womack:

This is my first post... I am a 14 year old 2018 grad. and run a 7.4-7.6 60yard dash. I have noticed that when I run my head tends to go side to side when I run and was wondering whether this slows me down or not... If so, any suggestions on how to fix or stop it?

Without seeing you run firsthand or on video it's tough to determine the cause of this, but yes, as others have stated above this is a problem with technique that needs to be addressed. When sprinting it's all about efficiency. Wasted movement equals a slower athlete. Again, without seeing you run it is difficult to know the issue, but many athletes I train have a similar issue of too much side to side movement. To fix this I tell my athletes to pretend that they are wearing a zip-up jacket that is zipped right up the middle. When we pump our arms we don't want our hands to cross the zipper (mid-line of our body). This cue helps you focus on pumping your arms straight ahead instead of side to side. Also, keep those elbow in tight. When the elbow flare out we create more wind resistance.

This may not be an issue with you but go a head and try these cues next time you sprint. It's also a good idea to simply stand in front of a mirror and practice pumping your arms. Limit the side to side movement with your arms and you may very well just fix you head-moving-side-to-side problem as well.

Thanks for the advice! Next time I go run I will definitely try to implement this technique! 

Originally Posted by Austin Womack:

Thanks for the advice! Next time I go run I will definitely try to implement this technique! 

No problem man! If you can ask a friend to video tape you running some sprints and then you can email me the video. I could provide much more detailed feedback if I had a visual reference.

Hey guys, last week I wrote a Google App for helping my boys work on their 60 yard sprint. You put in your target time goal and then the app shows you your 10, 20 and 40 yard splits to get to that target. You hold the phone in your hand and hold down the large button when you take off and let it up when you cross the line...SO easy to get a time for yourself. But even me timing them, I hate the stopwatch apps because my finger veers off the button on the screen and I don't stop it at the right time.

Plus, when you are running, a loud blast will sound when you should be at the 10 yard (or 20 yard) mark. This allow you to see how much you need to improve to hit your goal.

https://play.google.com/store/...oDotNet.SpeedingUp60

Definitely slows you down. This could be happening because your arm action is side to side. Check that out.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.