Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

bags - hopefully 3FingeredGlove will see your post and comment. I don't know what the rules are but I think I might know is going on here.

I think the NLI is only a valid contract for the first year of attendance. Thus, if tuition would have been raised during your son's first year of college, then they would have been obligated to raise his money based on the terms of the NLI - in this case the percntage of tuition. After the first year however, they can raise or lower the scholarship amount as they see fit. Thus, I believe they are under no obligation to raise his scholarship amount at this time.

Now, for political purposes, it might make sense for them to increase your son's dollars i.e., they don't wnat the word getting around that they are not honorable with their players.

Hopefully others will correct me if I am wrong about this.
Seems really weird to raise tuition @ the semester as many financial forms are for the school year and would have to be adjusted. Also the NCAA states the athletic schollys in baseball must be atleast 25% so if tuition increased wouldn't the scholly automatically adjust?

Seems strange, I would call the financial aid dept @ the college.
Athletic aid is awarded for exactly one academic year, with a few well defined exceptions, such as the player is graduating midyear, etc. Awards can be increased but not decreased during the academic year (actually after the NLI signing date or after July 1 for renewals). There is no explicit requirement for the college to apply the benefit on a per term basis, but practically it must be done that way.

The rules don't specify the terms of an award, nor do the rules distinguish between tuition or room and board. Books are separately accounted for. It's up to the college to decide whether the award is lump sum or a percentage of e.g. tuition, or percentage of an equivalency or perhaps even a percentage of the total cost of attendence.

For a percentage award, if tuition goes up mid-year and there wasn't a compensating decrease in some other cost associated with the percentage, then I think the actual dollars have to be increased mid year to hold the percentage. For most players, who are on a partial scholarship, the bill to the student is still going to increase. For players with a dollar amount agreement, if the dollar amount was 25%, then I think the dollar amount would also have to increase.

I'm surprised that a college would increase tuition without previous announcement or planning. But if it were a planned increase, then I think the athletic department would have structured that into any agreement with the player.
quote:
Originally posted by Baseballdad1228:
Birdman,

It's a lump sum, split into two allocations, one for each semester. When you get the agreement from the coach to sign and return in the summer, the percentage is reflected on the form.

Not really sure that it has to be offered as a lump sum, although that is how my son's was done. I think it can be offered as a percentage too.
When my son was going through the process, the best piece of advice that we got was to not accept a lump sum scholarship amount. To get the amount in a percentage form for the specific reason stated here. If tuition goes up, the percentage of money will still be the same percentage, thus, an incremental increase. We also made sure that the percentage wasn't just for tuition, with the remainder of board and meals to be our full responsibility. It was a percentage of the entire cost of attendance - tuition, meals and board.
quote:
Originally posted by bagsbaseball:
Tuition was raised at half year, no additional scholarship money came. Was told it was an NCAA rule?!

Did the tuition actually go up or were their fees that made the bill go up, for example, if you took a class with labs, the labs may cost 250 and up?

I myself have never heard of tuition costs going up mid year, that would offset any awarded scholarships, grants, etc. for all students that attend.

I also don't beleive in the lump sum, it should be a percentage if you can get it that way, because of rising tuition costs.
Well Tim, to start with I don't think I'd post my son's name or his weight status on a public message board. Does he know you've done this? My son would have been very upset with me in this circumstance.

I would make your questions a little more generic, not include his name, and start reading lots of past posts here. There's tons of info for every age, you just have to weed through it all. Welcome, there's a lot to be learned here. JMO

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.