Skip to main content

The Portland Sea Dogs are offering refunds for all the tickets they’ve sold for the 2020 season.

The offer is not an acknowledgment that the season has been canceled, said Sea Dogs president and general manager Geoff Iacuessa Thursday,

But it is a concession to the “increasing likelihood” that Hadlock Field will not be accessible to fans to watch any of the Red Sox’ Double A affiliate’s potential games.

** The dream is free. Work ethic sold separately. **

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

@Kimb27 posted:

I hope they can play. My daughter lives across the road from the stadium and we really love going to games. Maine has done a great job with the virus. Obviously, they would need to play other teams, but I'm hoping my daughter can go back in to work at the beginning of June.

The governor has done a horrible job. Maine could have stayed open with distancing. Or at worst opened after a month with distancing. Not one healthy person has died. 

Phase 1 is hair salons, car dealerships and golf courses. But you must wear a mask at the golf course. That will save the economy! < sarcasm. Think about it ... hair salons where the person hovers over you. But not restaurants and retail with distancing. 

I talked with a restaurant owner while I was out biking. He said the governor has made no attempt to talk to the Maine and Portland restaurant association.

The Sunday River Brewing Company in Bethel opened today. The owner said there hasn’t been one death in the county. Not one healthy person has died in the state. Let them sue me. I already have a lawyer ready to take the case pro bono. 

Add: His health and liquor licenses were suspended this afternoon. Let the legal games begin. 

Last edited by RJM
@RJM posted:

The governor has done a horrible job. Maine could have stayed open with distancing. Or at worst opened after a month with distancing. Not one healthy person has died. 

Phase 1 is hair salons, car dealerships and golf courses. But you must wear a mask at the gold course. That will save the economy! < sarcasm. Think about it ... hair salons where the person hovers over you. But not restaurants and retail with distancing. 

I talked with a restaurant owner while I was out biking. He said the governor has made no attempt to talk to the Maine and Portland restaurant association.

The Sunday River Brewing Company in Bethel opened today. The owner said there hasn’t been one death in the county. Not one healthy person has died in the state. Let them sue me. I already have a lawyer ready to take the case pro bono. 

How do you wear a mask at a restaurant while eating >sarcasm 

Last edited by RoadRunner
@JCG posted:

My brother-in-law and his wife moved from Portland, OR to Portland, ME a couple years ago. I'm not sure if they meant to do that or they just got confused.

One of my good friends moved from Portland ME to Portland OR. 

Do you know how Portland OR got its name?

”Portland got its name when Asa Lovejoy and Francis Pettygrove flipped a coin in 1845. Lovejoy was from Massachusetts and he wanted to name the new settlement Boston. Pettygrove was from Maine and wanted to name the new town Portland.”

In the 80’s metro Portland ME was the “in” place in the US to move. It’s never stopped. Portland has more restaurants per capital than any city in the country. Several name chefs from major cities have moved to Portland for quality of life and opened restaurants. 

Portland is a great place to live for day to day life. I prefer Boston for options of activities. But every time I head back to the Boston area I have to get my FU back on. It’s a different attitude. Things I don’t notice when I’ve been in the Boston area are very noticeable when I return from Portland.

My wife's family is from up that way... My MiL and her husband have a place on Back Cove - she *loves* Portland unconditionally - cannot stop talking about even when in her 4 month FL home (guess which 4 ;-))... For me Portland is a great place to visit, but I agree w/ JCG - only when it's not cold af....  Lots of interesting activity in the Old Port - if you're in NE any time - it's worth a day or two to visit. A little less than 2h from Boston.

When driving to UMaine (known as UMO) you have to be careful not to drive off the edge of the earth. Orono is just past East ButtCrack ME.

When people think of Maine they tend to think of the coast from York to Bar Harbor. There is a lot of beautiful country in northern Maine. Orono is not it.

This is downtown Orono. Pat’s Pizza is the center of town. It’s the Orono skyscraper.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • mceclip0
Last edited by RJM

RJM....FWIW....My husbands two week retirement trip was 4 nights in Portland, 3-4 nights  in NH (with 7-8 games of baseball), several nights in Acadia NP, up into northern Maine and Canada and back to fly home from Boston.  

Need a plan B, but even that isn't looking good.

If we do that trip next year, I may PM you.

@RJM posted:

I’ve been to Orono. No one there will ever offer me a PR job. Nor would I take it.

Anyway, I only posted the article on the Sea Dogs as an indication of where the minor league baseball season is headed. The thread has turned into a Maine commentary.

Well, what's wrong with that? This truck is the bomb. It's by the lighthouse in Cape Elizabeth. IMG_1074IMG_1079  .

Attachments

Images (2)
  • IMG_1074
  • IMG_1079

If you’re going to pay tourist prices for lobster don’t go to a trailer at the Headlight. Go about seven miles down the road to The Lobster Shack at Two Lights. Plus they have blueberry pie. 

I prefer Estes Lobster House in Harpswell. Every place that has lobster is somewhat of a tourist trap in the summer. But when people leave the Portland area they head for Boothbay Harbor or Bar Harbor. Harpswell is closer (40 driving miles from Portland) and more out of the way. It’s where I take visiting friends. For myself, about once a month I get lobster at the store for $7-8 per pound. They boil it for customers.

Attachments

Images (2)
  • mceclip0
  • mceclip0
Last edited by RJM

Red's is very good--among the best, even--but in high season you will wait in line a couple of hours or more.  (Just getting through tiny Wiscasset will take you 45 minutes if you hit things wrong.  Lovely town, but a major bottleneck.)  If you happen to drive by Red's and there is no line, it's worth a stop.  The places down the road 300 yards on the water are better choices if you don't want to waste a Maine summer day standing in a queue on the sidewalk.

I'm not revealing the place I think has the best lobster roll in midcoast Maine--it's getting too crowded as it is.  

Any time I’ve driven by Red’s I shake my head. I don’t get it. I also keep going over the bridge. Others who live in Maine don’t get it. It’s an overrated food stand in an overrated tourist trap town. The place lives off its reputation with out of staters. Wiscasset is of architectural interest. But it’s not unique. It’s also hard to find a parking place. 

The thing about lobster is it’s about as hard to boil one as an egg. It’s hard to screw up. If you’re going out for lobster it’s as much about the environment and atmosphere as the lobster. You can get a lobster roll at McDonald’s. 

It’s hard to make a bad sandwich with fresh lobster, and not that difficult to make a very good one. (Lots of family-owned gas stations in Maine will sell you a lobster roll. They are usually a lot cheaper than the ones from the famous spots, and usually quite good.)  A few lobster rolls achieve greatness—and I agree with RJM that is in no small part about place and time.  

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.