Skip to main content

Just three months ago, Sean Marshall was working out at Richmond Baseball Academy South in Chesterfield, and helping local high school kids (my son among them) with their pitching as well.

Sean is a graduate of Manchester High in Chesterfield and of VCU.

Anyone else enjoying his sudden rise to the bigs, and his success, as much as we are?

Congratulations to a great young guy! We're pulling for you!

Now, if we could just get WGN to carry the games when he's on the mound ....
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I am a HUGE Cubs fan (I am orginally from Chicago, moved to NoVA 10 years ago). We have DirecTV and MLB Xtra Innings, so I watch most Cub games (or TIVO the day games and watch later).

I didn't realize Sean was from the Richmond area.

I have been especially impressed with his poise/demeanor for such a young pitcher. A far cry from hothead Zambrano!

Go Sean!!!!!
Last edited by jbbaseball
He also has a twin brother. As they came up together, Sean was the starter, his brother the closer. Brother was in the Red Sox organization, I think, last year but came down with some minor injury, then got released.

Maybe the Cubs should give him a shot? For what they pay Wood and Prior to sit on the DL every year, they could get a shot at a "clone" for what is comparatively pocket change.
I'm an "interloper" in this forum, hope you don't mind...

On the title page of the hsbbw, the title "Sean Marshall Shines for Cubs" piqued my interest... I'm not a Cubs fan. But I am pleased and impressed that Sean Marshall helped some local high school kids...

I actually had the Cubs game on TV tonight...if I had seen this thread earlier, I would have watched it! (The Cubs aren't really much to look at).

But I am now a Sean Marshall fan...There are so many pro athletes who could not be bothered with ANYONE, let alone helping kids. I hope he continues to be a good guy, and I hope he does well in the bigs.

quote:
Originally posted by Midlo Dad:
Sean did his job. Too bad the Cubs have no offense. How long will Derek Lee be out?
They don't have much defense, either. Lee will be out way too long!
Last edited by play baseball
Looking forward to watching Sean on TIVO tonight.
At least Zambrano was able to handle Bonds quite well last night.

As far as Lee goes, two fractured bones in his right wrist. Expected to be out approximately two-three months. Was placed on the DL April 20. If I were a betting man (and I'm not!), I figure Lee will return shortly after the All-Star break.
Well, Sean had his first really off day today. You may not want to play that TIVO back.

Truth be told, some runs could've been stopped with just some ordinary defense. One play went right by 1B, Lee makes that play routinely. Another slow roller, Ramirez backed off the play and the SS booted it -- somehow scored a hit instead of an E. That made his last three runs earned instead of unearned. Maybe someone can look at that play again before they blow up his ERA.

Back out there Tuesday, I guess.

It would be nice if the Cubs would score him some runs, too.
Sean was back on track yesterday -- six shutout innings, no-hitter through the fifth, and the Cubs actually scored some so that he could improve to 3-1.

Peter Gammons compared Marshall to Chuck Finley -- which wouldn't be a bad career to duplicate, at today's prices!

All in all, a good day for young guns from the Richmond suburbs, as Justin Verlander out-dueled Johan Santana, with 8 shutout innings in a 2-0 win.

Looks like Tidewater is sending hitters to the bigs (Wright, Cuddyer and the Uptons) while our area is producing the next generation of arms!
Now that Sean has proved himself, any chance that one of those pitching-hungry contenders could trade for him?

This stuff with the Cubs is getting ridiculous!

Tonight, Sean entered the bottom of the 7th up 2-1. Gets one out, hits one guy, and is relieved. Reliever gives up 2 doubles and the lead. Sigh.

Not to mention, geez, it's only Sidney Ponson out there, score some darned runs!
This time Sean went 7, gave up only 4 hits (at least one of which should've been ruled an error, and truthfully two of them hit an awful lot of Aramis Ramirez) and only 1 run on a solo HR.

And he got the "L", because the Cubs scored ZERO against a 28-year-old rookie getting his first major league start.

I've never really followed the Cubs until I started trying to follow Sean's season. Geez, this is painful to watch. I never realized it was possible for any collection of major league talent to play so listlessly.

Memo to GM's: Cubs need offense. If you need pitching, how about a trade?
Are the Cubs the worst defensive team in baseball, or what?

I enjoyed watching Sean pitch -- and HIT! -- in Sunday's ESPN game, well, for the first 5 innings anyway.

Then came the 6th inning. Unbelievable.

Todd Walker set the tone by booting the leadoff batter's routine grounder. Juan Pierre broke back on a short pop and ended up missing a diving catch. Whoever was in RF totally failed to hustle towards a pop to shallow right, and instead of a 1-2-3 inning the whole thing blew up.

Even a grand slam HR didn't stop it. Walker dropped a perfect feed on a DP ball for his second E of the inning. Cubs had a 5-2-3 DP ball but handled it too slowly and didn't get the man at first. Another shallow pop that was playable fell for an alleged hit. What was a 5-2 lead became a complete meltdown. Another grand slam (off a reliever).

Sean ended up with 5.1 innings, 5 ER and a loss. He easily could have gotten the win with 6.0 innings and only 2 ER, had he gotten merely average defensive support. There he was on national TV, also got 2 hits including his first HR, and it ended up a debacle.

I hope he ends up as one of those July 31 deadline trades to someone who has defense. The Cubs should be embarrassed. I've never really followed them before this year, but my goodness, they are bad.
You know I have been a Cub fan all my life.....now you know what I go through!!!!! What you saw gives you a good picture of why the Cubbies are 20 games below .500!!

In Walker's defense, at least he took the blame. Last Friday, he made a knucklehead play and had the gall to blame it on his rookie SS, Ronnie Cedeno. That was classless.

I can't figure out Pierre. He certainly didn't play defense like that for the Marlins. At least, he is starting to get on base.

Unfortunately, it appears many of the players are packing it in already. Sad to see....
Last edited by jbbaseball

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.