Skip to main content

It was just over a year ago that we got the call that we thought that we would never receive. Son's grades weren't good and he was going to be placed on academic probation. I can still feel that ache in my stomach. As a family we decided that it didn't make much economical or baseball sense for him to stay there without scholarship money. So, we scrambled and got him into the local community college. Baseball was somewhat on hold, but he continued to workout and then played in a summer league.

In the two semesters that he has been at the CC he has taken 18 hours each semester and made the Dean's List twice. Baseball-wise, he played on the fall CC team and was offered 4 scholarships to D2 schools. As many know, for him to transfer to a D1 school he would have had to graduate from the CC and he decided that he would prefer to play for an "A" D2 school than a mid-level D1 school.

With the exception of one school, all schools offered substantially more than he was received at the D1 school he was first at. Two weeks ago he visited and then committed to Francis Marion in SC.
We were shocked when he was told that they want him for this spring season. So, next Tuesday he starts again. Emotionally all of us have been mad, happy, nervous, etc. and just hope and pray that he has learned from all of this and doesn't waste the talent that he has.

Just one other thing, after going through all of this it amazed me how many players go through this. Many don't get second chances, some do.

Anyway, hopefully this never happens to any of you out there because it is something that I wouldn't wish on any player or parent. And, if it does, don't kill your son (although you may want to) just hope that he learns from it, support him and try and get through it.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Canes - alls well that ends well...

Every time we visit my son we travel right past FMU and it appears to be a gorgeous Southern University. Also, it is in the Peach Belt Conference which is some of the very best baseball in the nation.

Look, all a person can do is control today. He can't change yesterday and there is nothing he can do about tomorrow until it gets here. The community college experience and his success there shows he has learned how to take care of today and that is more important than anything else he can learn on or off the field.
Canes - Best of luck to your son and hope things go smoothly this spring! My son was a Dean's list student last year at JUCO and has found the academic setting much more challenging at a four year. As a mom who wondered if he'd ever get through HS, I completely understand about your stomach. One way or another, for some kids.... they have to learn that the classroom has to be taken care of first. It has been a hard lesson for several that I've known.

Again, the best to your son on the field and in the classroom.
Last edited by lafmom
CanesFan,

That is an excellent and uplifting story, thanks so much for sharing.

I think it's so important for young adults to know that second chances do exist. We probably have all read a story at some time of a teen boy or young man who thought the damage they had done was irreparable, that "all was lost", and did something more harmful in despair, even physically harming themselves. A local one here that really worries me:
http://www.startribune.com/462/story/901388.html

Maybe this is just because I'm a bit of a softy, but when I hear of a kid really "messing up", I always hope that his parents' first impulse will be to hug him, then look at the consequences together and work toward learning a lesson and finding a positive path from there.

CanesFan, it sounds like you did a great job of treating your son like an adult with consequences, but also supporting him in a time that was tough for all. Congrats to him for working hard and making the best of the situation!

Julie
Last edited by MN-Mom
Thank you for posting such a good email for those of us in the same position. One year ago we got the call as well that our son was on academic probation. He was redshirted at a D-I school his freshman year and did fine acdemically. When it became apparent the fall of his sophomore year that most likey he would not play again, his grades went down the tubes and well as his mental attitude. It is hard to be the star at high school and ride the bench in college. We saw his love of the game disappearing. It was heartbreaking.The D-I School had been the wrong choice but sometimes you can't tell your son what to do. He had to learn the hard way.

We decided with his coach to withdraw him from the D-I and quickly got him enrolled in Community College. The coah there was thrilled to have him.He will graduate this May with his AA and hopefully go on to play at another school.

At the time we were all devasted, but going to the CC has turned out to be a blessing. Also we are now so happy he was reshirted his freshman year and he now has 2 years of eligibilty left.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.