Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

^^^ same!  My 2014 at about 12 playing SS, caught the fly ball, tagged the player off 2B, then threw home.  My older (about 14) son was keeping stats and overheard the other coach go "awwe F$%@!" then turned around and apologized to those in earshot, and my son calmly said, "I would have said the same thing if I were you".  (Pretty sure it was on the smaller field, but it's the only triple play I have seen).

I saw one live at a Red Sox game … 5-4-3 … Ball was hit to Devers right at the base.

https://youtu.be/LwozPKvDAR8

My son did an unassisted triple play in LL. It was due to an over the shoulder catch, confusion (did he catch the ball) and bad base running. I’ve heard of several kids being involved in triple plays in preteen ball due to these circumstances. Defensively, it usually involves shortstops since they’re in the middle of the field.

When I searched for the Dever’s triple play I found a video from 2015 where the Brewers and Red Sox had triple plays on back to back days.

Last edited by RJM

My kid turned one at 11. No outs, bases loaded, one of his best friends on the mound.  He was playing 2B.  Line drive off the bat, he dove to his right & caught it in the air.  Jumped up quick & stepped on second and then threw a bullet to third to catch that runner trying to get back…

Other than a couple of big HR’s he hit in his Senior year of high school it was still one of the coolest things he has done on a Baseball field.

My JV team did one year.  Playing this perennial power in our area and we are winning in the bottom of the 7th by a run or two.  Bases loaded with nobody out and we are out of pitching.  Just a matter of time until they win it to be honest.  Line drive up the middle and my SS makes a diving catch, gets up and beats the runner back to the bag and then throws to first just in time for that out because the kid watched the play rather than react (thank goodness for that). Game over and we won

My son had one at either 5 or 6.  Hilarious.  Playing 3B with runners on 2nd and 3rd.  Liner to 3B, tags 3B and then runs at the runner who left 2B.  It all happened so fast and none of "coaches" had ever seen an unassisted triple play, that we all just stood there not quite knowing what to do.  Sort of silently questioning what had just happened.  A couple seconds later the numbness wore off and we all headed to the dugout.  It was way more cute than it was cool.  I had a front row seat to it as I was the 3B coach.  What I wouldn't give to go back to those days for even just a little while.

Nice video. I've got two thoughts there. 1) Those black team dudes were all into the game, and knew exactly the situation and what was going on.  Usually on the triple play, there is a fair amount of confusion and most are standing around trying to figure out what just happened. 2) WTF were those base runners watching?  Guy on 1B saw the pop-up and kept going to second :-)

@T_Thomas posted:

Nice video. I've got two thoughts there. 1) Those black team dudes were all into the game, and knew exactly the situation and what was going on.  Usually on the triple play, there is a fair amount of confusion and most are standing around trying to figure out what just happened. 2) WTF were those base runners watching?  Guy on 1B saw the pop-up and kept going to second :-)

3rd thought: Just another reason to not bunt....

My son's 15u team playing up in a PG 16u tournament last summer.  The other team has no outs, runners on 2nd and 3rd.  Batter hit a single to the outfield, R3 hesitated to make sure ball isn't caught in the air then broke for HP.  Outfielder threw home, R3 got caught in a pickle and got tagged out.  R2 tried to go to 3rd base during the pickle and got caught in his own pickle.  Batter tried to get to 2nd base during the pickle and got tagged out just before getting to 2nd base.

You can hear a parent from the other team mutter "well, that was embarrassing" in our game video.  We also won that game.

Hit into one.  Bases Loaded and none out.  Hit bullet back through the box about shin high.  Pitcher stuck out foot and kicked it 20 feet high and toward first base.  The first baseman made an over the shoulder catch at the edge of outfield about 5 feet in fair territory.

Ball never touched ground.  Runners all took off and by the time everyone and every base was tagged 30 seconds later it was a quadruple play.  They would have gotten five outs had they tagged the guy on deck.

So what should have been a huge inning became a deflating cluster.

I have seen two and they were in the span of 3 games.  First one, my son was pitching and it was almost a carbon copy of the video.  Popped up bunt to pitcher that he had to stretch to get, then a strike to 2B, and then throw to 1B.  (Great way to get out of a jam in a 1-0 game in the 6th.)  The second, two games later, was bases loaded.  Rocket line drive to third base, 3B stepped on 3rd, and then fired to 2B.  They are fun to see because many things have to go right/wrong at the same time (including have 2 on and no outs). 

I've seen quite a few triple plays over the years. However, I've never seen a true "around the horn" triple play in live time. The 3rd baseman almost always touches 3 then shoots 1. All the ones I've seen or been part of required either a double-steal with a line-drive, or just horrible baserunning usually mixed in with mass confusion and coaches losing their minds

We ended a Valley League game with this one: Home team up 1run. Runners on first and second, no outs, line drive that looked uncatchable hit to right field. Right fielder dives, catches the ball (out 1), takes a roll, then throws to  2B, who throws to 1B on the bag as the runner was hung up (out 2).  Runner on second has tagged up and has rounded third heading to the plate. 2B throws to catcher for the tag-out. 1-2-3. Game over.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.