Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by justbaseball:
2013 - I think what you are experiencing is more the norm.

With our older son...who in the end had his pick of nearly any college...he mailed one of the local D1s expressing interest around 9/1 of junior year. Fairly quickly he got a nice letter back, said all the 'right' things (to my eye) and with a questionnaire.

Couple of weeks later, his summer coach was in a restaurant with the head coach of that school and told him he really needed to check out our son. Head coach basically said, 'f-you, I don't need any of your stinking players' and headed out.

Fast forward another couple of weeks...son was at a local showcase with that same head coach and assistant there to watch. Most likely first time they had seen him in person. 2-3 days later son gets a handwritten letter in the mail from the assistant coach expressing sincere and serious interest in our son...with an attachment to "fill out our questionnaire." (Remember they had it on file...didn't even bother to look). Also inviting him to their upcoming camp (also had his registration for that camp already...on file, didn't bother to look).

Now fast forward another 8 months and head coach and assistant coach are in our living room on July 1 offering son the biggest scholarship they had offered to that point.

Don't think they ever pieced together all of the missteps. Son picked another school BTW...I never told him about the comments in the restaurant...so his decision was pretty 'clean.'

This example is one of the reasons I advise not to get too fired up nor too down about the September 1 date. If it ends up mattering, I just think it will be more by coincidence than anything else.

Wow, what a great story! I had to chuckle about the questionnaire and camp registration. We've had both happen more than once, as well.

I must say that the honest reply of "you're on our radar" was good enough for us. We're told to never blow off a coach no matter what and always send a reply - this same coach told families that at a recent showcase. Obviously he believes that courtesy extends both ways.
There are a number of HS kids that do not receive attention from schools. So IMHO if you're receiving generic recruiting letters, emails, questionnaires, camp invites, phone calls, transcript requests, campus invitations, etc.....it's all part of the Recruiting Game...the journey for our kids, and for that matter, us parents.

The most important advice that I can give to those of you on the Recruiting Journey is Communication, and just as important, be honest with your son's playing ability. I sought out opinions from my son's HS and summer coaches, and spoke to college coaches at various camps to get a feel of where he'd fit in the college landscape . As I stated earlier, my son wanted to stay close to home, so I did everything possible to help get his name out there. He and I wrote out a list of about twenty schools within a six hour radius of our home. He wrote emails to the Head Coaches and cc'd the recruiting coordinators prior to each tournament that he participated in. Most of the coaches responded favorably. My son was looking for a home and a good fit to get his education and play ball, and of course the coaches were looking for players that fit their program from an athletic and academic standpoint...it's a game, they're competing against other institutions and our kids are competing against other recruits.

We went out to Georgia last year and my kid played in the WWBA 17U. We had a great time and enjoyed the southern hospitality. But only one of the west coast schools on his list made the trip to East Cobb. That was okay, we went for the experience and it was worth every minute. He played in three more tournaments over the summer and continued to send out emails and text messages to the programs on his list, and quite frankly, we were getting discouraged that only a few coaches attended. They expressed some interest, but there wasn't any offers. At this point we were in early August of his senior year, and we were getting nervous. In his last summer game, he dove for a ball in CF and sprained his shoulder on his non-throwing arm. He took four weeks off and started playing Scout Ball in September. Again, schedules were sent out to the programs on his list and communication was still going on, but no offers. At the end of September he played in a PG tournament in Arizona. It was well scouted and about ten of the programs on his "wish list" showed up to watch him pitch. A few of the coaches had spoken with him on the phone a few days prior to the tournament, so he was a little nervous and pumped. He walked two in the first inning and had a throwing error on a pick off move to first, but escaped without giving up a run. I believe he pitched 5-6 innings, giving up three hits and no runs, and struck out eight or nine to pick up the W. The following day he played a double header. In game one, he went 2-3 with a go ahead HR. In game two, additional scouts/coaches came out to the field and my son had one of his worst games...he went 0-4 with 3 K's and dropped a fly ball in the OF. Needless to say, he still had interest from schools, but how strong? Well, not strong enough to garner any offers, accept for a couple schools not on his list. At this point, my wife and I suggested that my son should expand his list and consider some schools outside of California that were interested in him. He was stubborn and remained steadfast with his goal to stay close to home. In the middle of October (about 3 weeks prior to the early signing period) he played in the Arizona Senior Fall Classic. Once again, he sent out emails and text messages to the coaches/programs on his list. He played against GED's son's team from Texas, and batted lead off going 2-2 with a triple and a double. By the time he toed the rubber in the 4th inning, about a dozen of the coaches he'd been communicating with were behind the backstop with their stalker guns. He gave up one infield hit, and struck out ten Texas batters in his four inning stint. The following day on the way home my son received six phone calls, and five invitations to visit campuses. Within the next week we went on three visits, and our son received offers from two of the schools. We were scheduled to take a seven hour drive to a Northern California school for a visit and more than likely aother offer, but a follow up phone call from the HC of his now-current university sealed the deal and we didn't make the trip. He finally found a home and we were very happy with his decision.

Yes, this is a very long post, and who knows...could be a bit boring too? With that said, I wanted to paint a picture of what our family went through with our son last year. It's not easy and can be stressful at times. Coaches aren't always honest with you (that's an entire different story and would take up much more bandwidth!), but you have to stay positive, communicate with the programs on your radar, and continue to work hard. Good luck to those families on the recruiting journey with their son's!
Thanks Bsbl and all,

As a 2013 parent it is very much appreciated to learn how those before went through the ups and downs that we are starting to go through now. Love the details you all put into your past experience.

The deeper we get into this the more I realize how many awesome people are out there willing to listen and help.

Our 2013 has had some nice preliminary communication from a wide range level of schools. He did a PG showcase PG EastCobb and Ft Meyers 17u and a Demarini. Two of his top 5 schools in which he played very well in front of have shown zero communication(even after his phone calls out) so he is learning the ropes.

So thanks again to all for sharing your past.
I think the biggest thing is being honest about ability as well as how you perform in the classroom. Just because you received a letter from the CWS championship program doesn't mean that would be a good fit for you.

Most have received letters because of some list generated, not often because they have seen you play or even you would be a consideration. They need money and want you to attend their camp.

Calling every coach who sends a letter along with a camp brochure is, IMO a waste of time that could be served better elsewhere. Now if that coach has sent you his # amd email or contact one of your coaches, that's genuine interest for sure and go for it.
Being realistic is the key to success in recruiting and not being is why players don't get offers.

Everyone's recruiting experience is different, but generally the same rules apply for everyone, be realistic, work hard at improving your game, work hard in the classroom, seek exposure and follow up on all serious responses or inquiries.
quote:
bsbl247

Really enjoed reading your post and no, it was not boring at all. I have a couple of questions for you though. Seems that we have a similiar situation and it would help us to know more about your son's specific situation. First, was your son recruited as a two player, postion player or pitcher. We're trying to decide if it's time to quit the position play (with travel team, not HS) and focus 100% on pitching. After the Sept PG event in AZ what level of schools followed up with you and offered- D!, D2 Juco and what level did he end up at??? Also, what kind of measurables did your son have at the PG events- pitching velocities mainly. Was your son ranked by PG going into his senior year? And finally what amount of September 1st email/letters did he recive his Junior year? Thanks in advance...
quote:
Originally posted by johnj314:
quote:
bsbl247

Really enjoed reading your post and no, it was not boring at all. I have a couple of questions for you though. Seems that we have a similiar situation and it would help us to know more about your son's specific situation. First, was your son recruited as a two player, postion player or pitcher. We're trying to decide if it's time to quit the position play (with travel team, not HS) and focus 100% on pitching. After the Sept PG event in AZ what level of schools followed up with you and offered- D!, D2 Juco and what level did he end up at??? Also, what kind of measurables did your son have at the PG events- pitching velocities mainly. Was your son ranked by PG going into his senior year? And finally what amount of September 1st email/letters did he recive his Junior year? Thanks in advance...

john,

He made it clear to all of the programs that were recruiting him that he wanted an opportunity to come in as a two way player. Coaches took note, and obviously needed to see him pitch, hit, and play the field. The process took a little longer, due to the fact my son had those goals. The majority of the schools that contacted him were D1, however, he spoke to a few D2's/D3's as well. The offers came in October after the Arizona Senior Fall Classic. He had phone calls from a D1 school back east, two West Coast Conference schools, two Big West Schools, and two Pac 10 schools. His offers came from a WCC school in Los Angeles, and he was due to visit a WCC school in Northern California, but chose to accept an offer from a Big West school that was one pitch away from playing in the CWS last year. He moves into the dorm at UC Irvine next weekend. His measurables per PG on the mound is 88, and a 6.76 60 time. He was clocked at 90 at the Senior Fall Classic, and has been up to 91 on a few occasions, but mainly throws a cut FB in the upper 80's, with good secondary pitches. Your son doesn't have to throw 90-95 to play D1-D2 baseball, the guys throwing that hard are generally drafted in the first five rounds each year. Yes, he was rated in the Top 1,000 by PG last year, and had a very good rating from Allan Simpson of PG (mainly as an outfielder). Lastly, he received a number of September 1 emails his junior year, more than likely because he was playing on some high profile summer/fall teams.

I hope this helps, as many of our HSBaseball members have said, there's a place for all of our kids to play, they just need to find the right fit. My son's individual goals are now 1. do whatever he can to help the team succeed 2. make the travel team 3. get some playing time 4. get a starting spot and/or significant time on the mound 5. maintain that starting spot/playing time.

I'm headed out with my family and won't be back on the computer until Sunday afternoon. This is the last weekend with our son before he goes off to school on the 18th. We're taking a very short little camping trip in our RV...yes, I'm making my kids spend some time with mom and dad for a couple of days! They're complaining now, but they'll thank us later! Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by YoungGunDad:
bsbl247, that was a really great post. It shows how when determination and planning takes place that things can and do come together sometimes.

It also just shows how sometimes we as parents see a "bad outing" from our sons when College coaches and recruiters see a bigger picture.

YGD

YGD,

Thanks for the kind words, and you're absolutely right...sometimes we as parents do see things differently, whether positive or negative it's not up to us to make those determinations.
bsbl247,

Great stuff. Enjoy that precious time with family. At least it will be easier for you to follow your son's games. It was a pleasure meeting you at the AZ Senior Fall Classic last year.

My son's goals (Thanks to Mr. Springer)Walk up to the plate with confidence, Hit the Ball Hard and Help your team win. Pretty much like yours!
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanrod23:
bsbl247,

Great stuff. Enjoy that precious time with family. At least it will be easier for you to follow your son's games. It was a pleasure meeting you at the AZ Senior Fall Classic last year.

My son's goals (Thanks to Mr. Springer)Walk up to the plate with confidence, Hit the Ball Hard and Help your team win. Pretty much like yours!

RR23,

Thanks. It was nice meeting you in AZ as well. HaHa...Gotta love Springer and his approach! Best of luck to your son this year.
I have a question for those of you who have already gone through (or know the process) the recruitment process. 2013 son received 3 emails shortly after midnight on Sept. 1 and three more at like 5:00 and 6:00 am. He's hearing from kids that this, particulalry the ones at midnight, indicates real interest. I am more from the school of thought that these schools have a powerful software tool that sends them out at a predetermined time/date. He's responded to all of the schools and for the ones that haven't previously sent questionaires he's sent their questionaires back. Continue to receive a lot of information type emails from the schools...thanks in advance.
Just a comment / perspective:

We are starting to notice two distinct patterns in these emails.

Some are clearly sent via a 'scoutware' type software (and that probably manages that midnight or 3 am send time....) and the only 'personalized' touch in those emails is the name.

Others, which I take as being slightly more encouraging at this point, say, 'thanks for the video, would really like to see you pitch' or 'liked your arm action, send me your schedule' or even ' we will try to get out to see you this fall'.

Is it right to assume this? : The 'generic' ones are purely 'top of the funnel, marketing to everyone in the database' and the second type might be 'ok, we took a look, still can't say if we like you enough to put on our follow list, but I haven't ruled you out yet, prove yourself to us.'

Only a small number of coaches directly said 'you are on my follow list' but happily it includes one school he really loves Smile and of course we know that STILL isn't really anything more than 'you've made it a bit further down the recruiting funnel, now prove yourself to us.' Subtext = get bigger, stronger, faster, (and on the high academic schools, show us great grades and scores this year).

We are trying to decide what exposure is worth the cost tis fall, vs., waiting til he has real improvement to show these coaches.

It is a very interesting process.

What I love the most about this ---- the motivation factor. Priceless. Studying more than ever, working out more than ever. (Oh yeah, and EATING more than ever!)
I would agree with those that say "it depends" in relation to when you hear from coaches. If you have a son who has been at many PG events, played on showcase teams,etc I would think early contact is important. Coaches have seen him play and have data/opinions. On the other hand, if your son has not had this type of exposure I'd say no big deal. Our son attended his first showcase (HeadFirst Jupiter) nov of his jr year. From that he received lots of interest. Followed up with stanford camp this year and has now setup all his official visits. He has some great DI offers and had very little contac sept 1 of his jr year. Mainly smaller local schools. Good luck!
If a head coach emails me and says it seems like I would be a great fit academically and athletically, but he needs to see me play, and then informs me on a showcase he will be attending, is this legitimate?

It is a GPA showcase if that makes a difference. (Don't know if coaches receive more money per player that attends and this is just an advertisement)
Part of the marketing done by a number of showcases are to get the various coaches who will be attending the event to email their lists, or the showcase list, a "personal" email. Essentially they say something like "I will be at so and so showcase and have heard that you might fit our program, or I have seen you play" or something similar.

That is not to say that a particular showcase is not worthwhile, but in most cases they are marketing emails.

I had my son do this and suggest you call up and talk to the coach or the recruiting coach about the event. A great question to always ask is “where am I on your recruiting list? Am I number 1, or number 10, or 100?” Be specific and ask them what positions they are recruiting for.

This will help you in determining if it is worth your time and $$ for any particular event.
Last edited by BOF
Whits- That was my thought as well, that I was identified as a fit for the program, but he still needs to see me play? This school's assistant coach was at a showcase I attended, so I thought possibly the head coach wanted to evaluate me himself. He referred to the GPA showcase as a camp and listed other coaches who will be present, but didn't specify if he was working it or just observing. It isn't held at the school's campus.

BOF- That is great advice. This was most likely just a marketing scheme. Thank you for the advice on which questions to ask, I will do just that.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.