Skip to main content

Unless you’ve got the rare kid who lands at his dream school or gets an incredibly accurate early assessment, I imagine most recruiting journeys end with the player/family settling for something less than what was hoped for when the process started. Could be level of play, location, money, etc.

For those who have been through that experience, how did your family decide the time had come to settle? What factors did you consider?

Alternatively, for those that refused to settle, how did that work out?

Thanks.

Last edited by DroppedStrikeThree
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Settling implies accepting something less than what you wanted, i.e. overreach.

For us, listening to and absorbing the feedback that was given over the years by various coaches, even if it caused discomfort, was step 1.

Step 2 was listening to my child, carefully. Each of my kids has/had a keen, instinctual sense very early on of what college they would attend, and so far (2 out of 3), they were 100% correct. It was me who pushed for options, afraid to hang my hat on only one school.

Stepping on campus and meeting the coaches was the cincher that confirmed their choice.

My best advice: LISTEN to your coaches, LISTEN to your kids. You won't feel like you've settled if you are searching in the right place. Go where you are loved. The rest (academics, money, playing time) will work itself out.

Last edited by SpeedDemon

If a player has a good plan and proper perspective he won't be settling. The list should range from preferred school to a school where the player would still be happy. If a player is "settling" for any school on the list is he really settling? The fifth of six schools on my son`s list had the best baseball program. With five to play four (entered with injury) he left with two degrees and the career he wanted with his dream school.

Settling.

Hindsight is 20/20,  What you think you want might not be what you thought it was. My son made his top 5 list at 14 years old. It was basically the same schools almost every kid writes down. He could have probably  gone to 4 of the 5 and decided on his number 2.   I think he has questioned his decision multiple times. Kind of a be careful what you wish for type thing. Lots of kids should probably be careful….

I frequently play out in my mind, where my son might be today if he “settled”.

Last edited by baseballhs

Many (most?) HS seniors don't get accepted to their dream schools.  Are they disappointed?  Sure.  Are they settling by picking a school they did get accepted to?   You take the best option that is presented to you, move forward and make the best of it.  I don't see this as settling, and it's not a whole lot different for most student athletes.

@Smitty28 posted:

Many (most?) HS seniors don't get accepted to their dream schools.  Are they disappointed?  Sure.  Are they settling by picking a school they did get accepted to?   You take the best option that is presented to you, move forward and make the best of it.  I don't see this as settling, and it's not a whole lot different for most student athletes.

It’s not a lot different for a whole lot of students who aren’t athletes.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.