Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Go44dad posted:

My thoughts were to expand fall play to 8-10 scrimmage type games (don’t count towards redshirt rules, etc). Idea is for coach’s to understand team. And allow unlimited, unfettered transfers between fall and spring semesters. 

Far out, man!  Whatever you are smoking has really expanded your mind. Most excellent!! 

Go44dad posted:

My thoughts were to expand fall play to 8-10 scrimmage type games (don’t count towards redshirt rules, etc). Idea is for coach’s to understand team. And allow unlimited, unfettered transfers between fall and spring semesters. 

I don’t think they could ever allow unlimited transfers due to the highly unlikely possibility every player on a team decides to transfer. As unlikely as it is, the NCAA could never open the door to make it possible. 

Has anyone given any thought to the fact that in the past 2 weeks 10M people filed for unemployment benefits, the timeline for this virus to allow for gathering of crowds or teams is being expanded because we can’t seem to understand that we all need to shelter in place at the same time? The longer this whole thing drags out, the more parents are going to be impacted financially. Who is going to pay for college when investments are down a metric ton, unemployment at record levels, and the end is a long way out? 

a lot of kids aren’t going to be able to afford to go to college, period.

adbono posted:
Go44dad posted:

Far out, man!  Whatever you are smoking has really expanded your mind. Most excellent!! 

05EE17F3-6EBB-4226-9314-9B214D09416A

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 05EE17F3-6EBB-4226-9314-9B214D09416A
collegebaseballrecruitingguide posted:

Has anyone given any thought to the fact that in the past 2 weeks 10M people filed for unemployment benefits, the timeline for this virus to allow for gathering of crowds or teams is being expanded because we can’t seem to understand that we all need to shelter in place at the same time? The longer this whole thing drags out, the more parents are going to be impacted financially. Who is going to pay for college when investments are down a metric ton, unemployment at record levels, and the end is a long way out? 

Actually, the opposite is true:  https://www.census.gov/library...back-to-college.html

Most of the people I know financed their own College education.  None of them went to an expensive school, though, and I could see some of the expensive private schools taking a hit. 

Everyone sheltering in place at the same time is what drags this out; that's its purpose. The virus is not going away; that ship has sailed around the world. If you aren't infected while sheltering in place you will still be susceptible to being infected in the future. So when do you lift the shelter in place? When everyone is inoculated? What will the unemployment numbers look like then?

baseballhs posted:

I think by the end of this month people are going to be angry and wanting to go back to work as they start losing everything.  At some point, people are going to say, if I get it, I get it...we can't stay inside forever. jmo

My friend has it, you don't want it, seriously. 

ABSORBER posted:

Everyone sheltering in place at the same time is what drags this out; that's its purpose. The virus is not going away; that ship has sailed around the world. If you aren't infected while sheltering in place you will still be susceptible to being infected in the future. So when do you lift the shelter in place? When everyone is inoculated? What will the unemployment numbers look like then?

There is a concern in a couple more months unemployment could be at 30%. That’s worse than the Depression. The world can’t afford not to go back to work in a month or two. Poverty also causes death. 40% of Americans can’t handle a $1,000 surprise bill without using a credit card. How long will these people last? I looked up each state’s unemployment payments last night. It doesn’t pay the bills. It only blunts the pain.

Bill Gates did an interesting TED Talks on we’re not ready in 2015. Without knowing about COVID-19 he explains why it’s much worse than Ebola in terms of spreading.

Gates makes an important point Trump has been vilified for by the media. In addition to the lives lost trillions of dollars could be lost. Poverty also causes death.

Did you know 760,000 passengers flew from China to the US from December to February? 

https://www.ted.com/talks/bill...reak_we_re_not_ready

Last edited by RJM
baseballhs posted:

I think by the end of this month people are going to be angry and wanting to go back to work as they start losing everything.  At some point, people are going to say, if I get it, I get it...we can't stay inside forever. jmo

I read an article last night about a woman who stated a business last year. It was so successful she was looking for a second location. Now, with 80% of her revenue lost she’s trying to keep her one location from going under.

RJM posted:
ABSORBER posted:

There is a concern in a couple more months unemployment could be at 30%. That’s worse than the Depression. The world can’t afford not to go back to work in a month or two. Poverty also causes death. 40% of Americans can’t handle a $1,000 surprise bill without using a credit card. How long will these people last? I looked up each state’s unemployment payments last night. It doesn’t pay the bills. It only blunts the pain.

Bill Gates did an interesting TED Talks on we’re not ready in 2015. Without knowing about COVID-19 he explains why it’s much worse than Ebola in terms of spreading.

Gates makes an important point Trump has been vilified for by the media. In addition to the lives lost trillions of dollars could be lost. Poverty also causes death.

Did you know 760,000 passengers flew from China to the US from December to February? 

https://www.ted.com/talks/bill...reak_we_re_not_ready

My point exactly. You cannot allow the "cure" to be worse than the "problem". My point is that it is foolish to think if everyone stays 100% isolated this thing will go away. It will not. You are just delaying the inevitable. I certainly understand "flattening the curve" but I disagree 100% with "flatlining the curve." Because then you are exactly right where you started and achieved nothing except destroying the economy, and along with it, people's lives. Of course at this point, in several states, it is impossible to flatline and that's probably a good thing. as they will be "ahead of the curve."

TPM posted:
baseballhs posted:

No one wants it, but I also think at some point people will not be able to swallow losing everything they have worked their whole lives for.  People will not be able to recover from that either.  No one wanted swine flu and 50M got it, including my son. 12K died in the US, we didn't shut anything down.  Going forward, I think a lot of the practices like disinfecting shopping carts, being more aware about washing hands frequently throughout the day are going to be more of the norm.  This isn't going away.  That said, at some point everyone is going to have to say, how much are we all willing to lose to hide from this when eventually, we have to come out.

baseballhs posted:
TPM posted:
baseballhs posted:

No one wants it, but I also think at some point people will not be able to swallow losing everything they have worked their whole lives for.  People will not be able to recover from that either.  No one wanted swine flu and 50M got it, including my son. 12K died in the US, we didn't shut anything down.  Going forward, I think a lot of the practices like disinfecting shopping carts, being more aware about washing hands frequently throughout the day are going to be more of the norm.  This isn't going away.  That said, at some point everyone is going to have to say, how much are we all willing to lose to hide from this when eventually, we have to come out.

I have one person who works with me already requesting to return to our NYC location on Tuesday upon the completion of his 2-week quarantine due to other people at my firm coming down with the virus.  NYC has 50k cases and over 1,500 deaths!  He is asking for financial reasons.  Just so we don't say its a macho thing we have the same situation in the Atlanta office.  A woman insists on coming into our office to work.   In both situations, it's 100% social distancing as no one else is going in.   I have been out of NYC since 2/29 and would LOVE to get back into the office.  Once restrictions are lifted I will go right in but I think companies will, or should, accommodate work from home for those that don't feel safe going back out into the world after restrictions are in fact lifted.    The cure really shouldn't be worse than the disease. There are no easy decisions.

I am also still counting on some of my sons HS season being played.  They have all sorts of contingency plans for the length of season etc if / when CT lifts stay at home restrictions.   There was a positive call on this subject yesterday but it depends on virus data over the coming 3-4 weeks.

baseballhs posted:
TPM posted:
baseballhs posted:

I am sorry for your loss. 

Unfortunately we didn't learn from our mistakes, or other countries mistakes. My daughter's BF, a RN ER nusre went to NY, Elmhurst. She told my daughter she has nightmares. 

RoadRunner posted:
baseballhs posted:

Poverty also kills. 

The government can always print trillions of dollars and give it away. Of course, it wouldn’t take long for 1,000% inflation. An impoverished government can be deadly. Ask third world countries.

Guess which country didn’t shut down. They shut down a province claiming there were only 3,000 deaths. Anonymous journalists, who don’t want to be executed claim the real number is between 42,000 and 46,000 just in that province. The government is paying families of deceased not to talk. Or they could threaten them with execution. 

Being safe and becoming an impoverished country needs to balanced. 

Last edited by RJM

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.