Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

To the stat sheet afficionado (a/k/a numbers geek), separating out all these stats gives you some significant info.

First of all, you have to separate sacrifice bunts (or "sacrifice hits" or "SH" -- even though they are not "hits") from sacrifice flies ("SF") because they are factored into other stats differently. In particular, SH's don't count against your on-base average, but SF's do. This in turn affects OPS ("on-base plus slugging", the new hot stat). (Though why that distinction has been made, I can't explain. Seems to me if the batter's going to get credit, he should get credit, not half credit. But I don't get to make the rules.)

From the standpoint of evaluating a pitcher, "SHA" would indicate whether he is good at preventing bunts or at fielding his position. A pitcher with a live fastball is going to be tough to get the bunt down against. A pitcher who fields well will sometimes get the advance runner, thereby turning the SH into a fielder's choice/no sacrifice.

SB/ATT is important both for catchers and pitchers. For catchers it's a measure of how good they are at throwing runners out. For pitchers it's a way of evaluating how well you're holding the runners. It would also be illuminating if a catcher has a great SB/ATT except for certain pitchers. This would indicate that those pitchers need to work on holding runners.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.