Skip to main content

After sitting 81-82 and touching 83 at WWBA in July, my 2022 sat 83-84 touching 85 in a one innning intersquad appearance late October.  This weekend at a tryout for summer travel ball he sat 85-86 and touched 87.  He said he felt like he was just getting loose and thought he had more in the tank.  This was only his 3rd or 4th time to throw off a mound since July.

His only public measurables are from PG this past summer and show him sitting 80-83 topping 83.  Would there be any benefit to going to a PBR showcase and posting an 87 or more before the start of the HS season?  Would that help him get some interest going into summer travel season? 

He is working out hard and about to start refining his mechanics and ramping up for the season with the plan to be in game shape at the end of January.   There is a PBR showcase in late January that includes live game play which I think plays to his strengths as he tends to look better when competing than just throwing a pen.  It's an invite only event but I get the sense that it's not that hard to secure an invitation.  It's about 5 hours and an overnight stay but it's an easy drive on open interstates.

Thoughts?

Last edited by 22and25
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Depends how PBR is in your area. That said, you'd likely get to a wider audience if you posted video of him at 87, etc to FlatGround on Twitter. 

EDIT: My 2022 will do a PBR event in late Feb if his velo is is above what they have him at now. But in general it's usually been video that coaches have seen that have gotten him noticed.

Last edited by nycdad

My son did a showcase during the Winter before sophomore season.  He put up some solid measurables (position player) that I believe provided a solid reference point for coaches who saw him that Summer.  Also - it was nice to have something independent to cite/link to in those emails out to schools.  He did wind up committing that August.

K9 posted:

My son did a showcase during the Winter before sophomore season.  He put up some solid measurables (position player) that I believe provided a solid reference point for coaches who saw him that Summer.  Also - it was nice to have something independent to cite/link to in those emails out to schools.  He did wind up committing that August.

I think the bolded is a key point, whether for sending emails out or any other communication.  It seems he has made significant progress with velo and is approaching numbers that will certainly draw attention for a '22.  So, having a reputable independent measurement (and/or clear video of a pen with a gun visible for consecutive pitches) will carry weight.  I suspect that PBR event could be that avenue although there are likely other alternatives as well.

The email content is what I had in mind as well.  Should he close that 3 mph gap during the spring season and touch 90 before summer we are certainly going to want to put some emails out to his top 10 or more  schools with a copy of his schedule of summer events.  I am thinking that having some verified 3rd party measurables showing an 87 half way between the 83 in summer of 2019 and an email claim of 90 going into summer of 2020 would be more credible.  I am not sure how they would view a homemade video with a pocket radar documenting that jump in velo.

I think a pocket radar, or better yet a stalker video of his number is fine. If anything there are many PBR events where they will report your metrics but a reading won't be in the video, and that's always the case with PG. IMO video with gun is best, doesn't matter who gets it.

Re:  shutting down. The latest my kids will pitch is Columbus day weekend, but a lot depends on previous activity. That said, it's usually not a complete shutdown. It'll maybe be 2 weeks of zero throwing, but then arm care with plyos, etc, but not pitching til January. This year after my 2020 committed in late July he completely shut down throwing so he could go heavy in the weight room for several months.But they don't generally pitch more than 78-85 innings a year. 

CTbballDad posted:

Great velo numbers, but what concerns me is outings in October, December and January. Did son have quality shutdown period?  Mine always shut down from mid-Oct to Jan.  Now in college, they shut him down in mid-Oct and will begin throwing next week, so a good 2 months off.

I don't think I would charecterize anything he has done as an outing since July.  He shut down completely for all of August then started doing light throwing and ramped up to off season work into October continuing to now. As stated, he has only thrown off a mound a couple of times since October and those have been less than 20 pitches with intent.  The January outing would be after a full ramp up to in season throwing shape.  The HS season starts the 1st week of February. 

22and25 posted:

The email content is what I had in mind as well.  Should he close that 3 mph gap during the spring season and touch 90 before summer we are certainly going to want to put some emails out to his top 10 or more  schools with a copy of his schedule of summer events.  I am thinking that having some verified 3rd party measurables showing an 87 half way between the 83 in summer of 2019 and an email claim of 90 going into summer of 2020 would be more credible.  I am not sure how they would view a homemade video with a pocket radar documenting that jump in velo.

No, you would not want a homemade video with a pocket radar, but a video shot at a facility with a stalker is often an acceptable method.

cabbagedad posted:
22and25 posted:

No, you would not want a homemade video with a pocket radar, but a video shot at a facility with a stalker is often an acceptable method.

Curious, why wouldn't a pocket radar be good? Obviously a stalker is preferred, but it seems like they are almost identical in readings, when both are right in line. I would think a homemade video with a pocket radar, is better than a PBR or PG stat with no video.

nycdad posted:
cabbagedad posted:
22and25 posted:

Curious, why wouldn't a pocket radar be good? Obviously a stalker is preferred, but it seems like they are almost identical in readings, when both are right in line. I would think a homemade video with a pocket radar, is better than a PBR or PG stat with no video.

Because for the purposes of sending out recruiting videos and information, you want your readings to be, as much as possible, from credible established neutral third parties.  Regardless of accuracy comparisons, the perception and expectation is that those parties wouldn't use a pocket radar.

Last edited by cabbagedad

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.