Skip to main content

I'm simply shocked at the apathy on this site related to the monumental news that the Baltimore Orioles have hired Buck Showalter to plug the well, right the ship,restore the swagger, re-teach the Orioles Way (which has been nothing but South lately), bind the wounds, etc., etc.

No comments, no jabs, no silliness....

Yes, the Orioles...
Yes, they do still have a team...
No, it was the FOOTBALL team that left in the middle of the night; the baseball team stayed...
Yes, really...

B-A-L-T-I-M-O-R-E...

Yes, the one with the nice harbor..

Yes, the one the Yankee fans frequent so they can go to a game without walking past the SWAT squad, and the Red Sox fans frequent so they can win a couple...

Yes,we still hate the Red Sox and Yankees, we're just irrelevant.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

It is honestly cheaper for a Sox fan to fly southwest to BWI, get a rent a car, rent a room and catch a Sox vs Orioles game at Camden Yards over a weekend then to go and catch a weekend series at Fenway!! Plus you can get better seats too at Camden. Went a few years back had an excellent time!

Showalter does not make anyone worry about the Orioles playing any better. He is blah.....

Had it been Bobby Valentine at least you know he'd have some entertainment value..lol.

Orioles need to get the owners family out of baseball operations before that franchise will get better. They do have some good young players so I'd expect some improvement the next couple of years as they mature together.
The Orioles are a top notch organization. All they need is an owner willing to crack open his wallet to the tune of $100 Million next year. I wouldn't normally say throwing money at a problem is a universal fix but consider that the Orioles play in the same division with the Yankees and Red Sox not to mention the talented Rays.

Also consider the possibility of restructuring the division so that they are part of a weaker division.

Also consider that they have a strong minor league system, top prospects at all positions, developing stars at key positions (Wieters)(Markakis)(Bell)(Matusz)(Britton)(Arrieta)(Reimold)and more.

The O's are nothing like the Pride, The Passion, The Pathetic Pittsburgh Pirates. The O's are on the cusp of a breakout season. If Showalter can stick around long enough he might find out.
quote:
All they need is an owner willing to crack open his wallet to the tune of $100 Million next year.
A well run organization starts at the top. Oriole ownership is the problem. The team won't win until it's sold or the owner is completely out of the business decision loop. I would hope the Orioles have some decent prospects with all the high drafts picks they've had over recent years.
Last edited by RJM
PA Dino, I like how you think.

4-0 and counting under Buck.

I really liked this Thursday night:

"One of the best things to come out of that temporarily bad situation, according to Showalter, was Jason Berken's reaction to it. He gave up the big home run, but stayed in the game to finish the eighth and pitch a scoreless ninth to get the victory.

"Berken was trying to go down and away, but the ball ran back over the plate,'' Showalter said. "But like I said, I loved the way he came back out there to pitch the next inning. I could have easily gone to somebody else, but I told Kranny (pitching coach Rick Kranitz) I want to see him pitch the next inning."

And you know his stock with the pitchers jumped.
If Angelos would just give his checkbook to McPhail, tell him to spend big bucks on a few quality free agents to surround those young prospects and give him a payroll of a minimum of 100 million but preferably 120 million......look out!!!!! IF.........Does Angelos want to win or make lots of money ????? He could use a little Steinbrenner DNA.
This means when Buck gets fired, the next manager will win the world series with the O's. When Buck got replaced by Torre the following year, the Yanks won it all. Then Brenly replaced Buck and won it all with the D'Backs.

Could O's be the next team Buck brings to the brink of a breakout year only to hand it off to another manager to win it all?

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.