Skip to main content

I thought I had read somewhere that an NCAA school could not "announce" or publish the names of non-scholarship players (walk-ons) until the player is actually enrolled and on the team?

Also,they can not publish or announce commitments, only actual signees.

The player can announce that he is 'committed' to that school, but if not on a NLI, he is technically not a 'signee',and therefore can not be listed by school as such.

Can someone clarify?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

It is correct that only when a NLI is signed and in the schools hands can the coach talk about a recruit

A signee is one who has signed and submitted a NLI

A commit is when a player says he is going to school "so and so"-- there is nothing official here and in many cases it never actually comes to fruition

A non scholarship player who is a "walk mon" can be noted as such once he has applied to and been accepted by the school

Hope that this helps
quote:
Originally posted by TRhit:

A non scholarship player who is a "walk mon" can be noted as such once he has applied to and been accepted by the school

I guess I've never seen an announcement by a school about walk-ons?

But, I have seen where a kid "committed" to a D1 school during early signing period,was not on scholarship and was never listed as a signee for that school, and then signed a NLI with another D1 school in the late signing period.

The school that signed him is now being accused of "stealing" the kid?
Here's the D1/D2 rule:
13.10.2 Comments Before Signing. Before the signing of a prospective student-athlete to a National Letter of Intent or an institution’s written offer of admission and/or financial aid, a member institution may comment publicly only to the extent of confirming its recruitment of the prospective student-athlete.

In principle, a player need only have received and somehow signed an offer of admission. Then the college could comment on his signing. For example a player could apply for early admission under a program that requires that he attend the school if admitted. So there would be an actual signature, and the school could announce him as a recruit, in spite of no financial offer.

I suppose that it is rare that a college would announce (in November) such a player as a signed recruit, but it could be done.

A financial offer doesn't have to be part of the NLI program, but it almost always is.
This is a rule that is constantly circumvented. Colleges do not make official announcements of "commitments." However, many of them will immediately call some friend who does a radio show or runs a recruiting website and tell them about it. They want the word to get out so other teams will back off.

quote:
Originally posted by 3FingeredGlove:
Here's the D1/D2 rule:
13.10.2 Comments Before Signing. Before the signing of a prospective student-athlete to a National Letter of Intent or an institution’s written offer of admission and/or financial aid, a member institution may comment publicly only to the extent of confirming its recruitment of the prospective student-athlete.

In principle, a player need only have received and somehow signed an offer of admission. Then the college could comment on his signing. For example a player could apply for early admission under a program that requires that he attend the school if admitted. So there would be an actual signature, and the school could announce him as a recruit, in spite of no financial offer.

I suppose that it is rare that a college would announce (in November) such a player as a signed recruit, but it could be done.

A financial offer doesn't have to be part of the NLI program, but it almost always is.
quote:
Originally posted by MTH:
This is a rule that is constantly circumvented. Colleges do not make official announcements of "commitments." However, many of them will immediately call some friend who does a radio show or runs a recruiting website and tell them about it. They want the word to get out so other teams will back off.

quote:
Here's the D1/D2 rule:

My nephew committed to a school and was not offered an NLI but was admitted into the school and already registered when the school announced his commitment. The stipulation was that he had to have registered for the fall semester.
CPLZ,
If a player signs a NLI, there has to be a financial offer. However, a school can provide athletic aid without a signed NLI. After all, some colleges don't participate in the program. Even if a college does participate, there isn't any NCAA requirement (that I'm aware of) which mandates that every scholarship athlete sign an NLI.

I think most schools want an NLI for every player that gets countable aid. The effect of the agreement favors the college. And most players will find the attention associated with the signing agreeable.
quote:
Originally posted by ne14bb:
3 Fingers- is there such a thing as a provisional NLI? Where perhaps a kid signs the NLI but it is contingent upon him getting his grades up and or getting accepted into the college through admissions etc?

Also- along same lines, if they sign an NLI is it mandated they are already accepted by admissions into the college?

Look at the NLI site. It's easy reading. You'll see under "NLI Provisions", item 7, "Letter becomes null and void", that addmission into the college is neither a necessary nor implied condition of signing the NLI. But if admission is subsequently denied or the player fails to meet eligibility requirements, the NLI becomes null and void.
Last edited by 3FingeredGlove
quote:
  • Fingers- is there such a thing as a provisional NLI? Where perhaps a kid signs the NLI but it is contingent upon him getting his grades up and or getting accepted into the college through admissions etc?

Also- along same lines, if they sign an NLI is it mandated they are already accepted by admissions into the college?"

If I'm not mistaken, the NLI has provisions that if the student is not admitted to the school the NLI is null and void. My son signed his NLI before completing his application to the school and that was a question for us. He quickly got the app done and turned in days later and was notified pretty quickly by the admissions office that he had been accepted.
  • quote:
    CPLZ,
    If a player signs a NLI, there has to be a financial offer. However, a school can provide athletic aid without a signed NLI. After all, some colleges don't participate in the program. Even if a college does participate, there isn't any NCAA requirement (that I'm aware of) which mandates that every scholarship athlete sign an NLI.

I think most schools want an NLI for every player that gets countable aid. The effect of the agreement favors the college. And most players will find the attention associated with the signing agreeable.

Correct me if I am wrong 3FG, the only time a player can sign an NLI is during the signing periods?

You do not have to be accepted to sign an NLI, but those proevisions exist. Mine signed his in Nov but not accepted until the spring.
    Last edited by TPM
    quote:
    Originally posted by TPM:
    quote:
    Originally posted by TRhit:
    You need to read the fine print before you sign

Who the heck would read the NLI before they signed it?

I was kidding, that's my sense of humor.

So who wouldn't read the fine print on anything before it's signed?
    I don't really care if you read the fine print or not, even before your attorney.

I am not surprised that people don't read the fine print on some documents, but I don't think that you give parents much credit when it comes to their kids.

The NLI is a simple document to read, and instructions usually include reading before signing, any questions call the coach.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.