Skip to main content

I know that there are a lot of different formulas catchers and pitchers use. First sign: Location. Last sign: pitch. Some guys use the sign after they give a 4. Just wondering what do you guys use for signs with a man on 2nd.
Thanks
[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff350/SaintJoe3B/Other%20Designers%20Work/16863.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x36/jphat_sports/MLB/chicago-ws-alt.png[/img][/url]
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Guy,
SIGNAL GIVING OPTIONS WITH A RUNNER ON SECOND
The following are some signal giving options with a runner on second. Have enough sets that you can find one that each pitcher is comfortable with. It is better to use signs that are too simple rather than too complex. Sometimes you can just eyeball the runner on second and give one signal when he is not looking. Just be certain that he is not looking. Make sure that when you are using a given sequence that the live signal doesn’t always fall in the same position in the sequence. Practice
the signal giving process in sides and to finish up the pre game warm-up.
1. Indicator Set- First signal indicates which of the following signals is the pitch. If you give #1 first then the next signal would be the hot signal. If location is not part of that signal then the next signal is the location. An example would be 2-3-2-1-4.That would call for a curve ball to the
number one location.
2. Ahead, Behind and Even-Ahead it’s the first sign. Behind it’s the second sign. Even it’s the third sign. The number after the live sign indicates
location if location is not part of the signal. For example on a 1-0 count the sequence is 2-3-4-1 would slider to four location (up and in).
3. Up, Down, and Even-If first two signs are going up (from 1-2 or 3-4 etc.)then it’s a fastball. If the first two signs are going down (from 2-1 or 3-2
etc.) then it’s a breaking ball. If they have two breaking balls or a fourth pitch then down two (4-2) might represent that other pitch. If the first two signs are the same (1-1 or 4-4 etc.) it’s a change up. The next sign would represent location. An example would be 1-2-5-3. This would be a fastball to five location.
4. Pumps-Add one on to first number for each signal given there after. Roll over to one after you reach five. (Both 5 and 1 would be fastballs). For
example for a pitcher with four pitches and the sequence is 2-3-1-1-2.That would indicate fastball. To integrate location you might have the first number indicate location and start the pump sequence with the second signal.
5. Last Pitch-The live signal is the first signal given after the signal for the previous pitch thrown. Follow that by location if location is not included in the signal. If the previous pitch was a breaking ball then the live pitch would be after number two. For example 1-3-2-3-1-4 would indicate a
slider to one location. On a reliever’s first pitch use the number four or agree to the first pitch on the mound and give no signal or a signal that
means nothing.
6. Odd/Even- If the first signal is odd, the live pitch would be after the next odd signal. For example the sequence of 2-1-1-4-2-1 would be curve ball to one location.
7. Strikes-With no strikes it’s the third signal, one strike it’s the second signal and two strikes it’s the first signal. An easy way to remember is the strikes and signal order will always add up to three. With one strike 3-1-2-5-4 would be a middle fastball.

Hope this helps.

JW
Thanks Jerry those will help a lot thanks!!!!

YHF Ive seen those too but i dont like the idea of them. Too many more chances that someone will pick up the pitches. But I guess if your in the majors your probably good enough that you know how to do it right. I think their more of an alternate thing because Ive only seen catchers give body signals when they are wearing all white pants or when they are on Astro-turf. I think it has something to do with the pitchers not being able to see the signs so well or something like that.
Guys,
Even in Major League Stadiums with the best lighting, some pitchers will have trouble seeing your signals. It seems to happen a lot on the road as a result of your grey pants.

Any one of the previously mentioned signal sets can be adapted to your night set or sets. Have a touch spot for all your pitcher’s pitches and locations as well as a spot for your picks.

For example:
Rt.thigh-FB Rt. side of the plate.
Lft.thigh-FB Lft. side of the plate.
Crotch-FB Middle
Chest- Change
Mask- Curveball
Top of helmet-Slider
Knee to knee-Pick

USING STRIKES
NO STRIKES(3rd signal)Mask/Chest/Rt.thigh/Mask=FASTBALL ON RT.SIDE OF THE PLATE.( The options are endless)

Game tempo is always an issue with tap(night) signs so be distinct but quick in giving signals. When the pitcher shakes the pitch off (not location) it is often best to go to the first touch as the live pitch. If the pitcher shakes off the location, you would not need to repeat the pitch. In that case the first touch would indicate the new location. Even better would be to have the pitcher add on or subtract to get to the pitch he wants by the way he rubs the pitch off. With that being said, be sensitive to the needs of the pitcher and tempo of the game and keep it simple.

JW

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.