Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

It was a cold weather pitchers duel in Barrington with Whitney Young (3-3) losing 2-1 to the Broncos. Jason Ormond for the Dolphins and Chris Houlke for Barrington were the starters. The game went into extra innings with the score knotted at zeros after 7 innings. Strong infield defense, especially by Henriques at SS helped the Dolphins and Ormond who pitched 7 innings (84 pitches) allowed no runs with 2 Hits; 4-K's, 1-W. Ormond had a no hitter going until with two outs in the 7th inning, gave up two hits. Chris Houlke went 8 innings allowing no runs with 8 Hits; 7-K's, 4-W's. Neither of the starters got the decision.

The Dolphins only run was scored when they went up one run in the top of the 9th on a single by Ormond who scored off of a RBI by Henriques. The Dolphins lost the game in the bottom of the 9th Inning on a Walk, 2 Errors and 1 Hit which scored the 2 Bronco runs. Henriques was the losing pitcher. At the plate it was Henriques 2 for 4; Bowden 2 for 4; and Gowder 2 for 4.

No stats for any Broncos as I did not have names except for the starting pitcher.

Final box score Barrington; Scores 2 Runs on 3 Hits and 2 Errors. Whitney Young Scores 1 Run on 9 Hits and 2 Errors.

Thanks to Barrington for hosting the Whitney Young Dolphins. This game was a rescheduled game from the recent cold weather weekend, when the double header games were cancelled. The umpire did a great job getting out from behind the plate to make the calls in the field and keeping this 9 Inning game moving on a cold weather afternoon.
Last edited by mark ormond
Highland park Sophomores improved to 4-0.
HP beat Waukegan 17-0 as Jon Menke tossed a no hitter, walking 2 and striking out 9.
Now, if only Ma nature would realize it's spring we can all move onto watching great baseball. Good luck to all during the season; it's great to see what all the teams are doing. You never know when teams will meet!
Lockport 13 Andrew 4

At Lockport. The Porters hosted one of their SWSC conference foes under the bright lights of Ed Flink field for a 7 p.m. game on Friday. Lockport (7-1, 2-0) swung the bats well scoring 13 runs over 7 innings. Nick Daniels led the way going 3 for 4 with 2 doubles 2 runs scored and 4 RBI's. Rich Estes was 4 for 4 on the day with 3 runs scored and 2 RBI's. Joe Martin and Brandon Duplessis contributed 2 RBI's each

Brandon Duplessis pitched 6 strong innings for the Sophomores striking out 6 hitters and scattering 5 hits and 4 runs.

Leading Hitters:
Rich Estes 4-4, 3 Runs, 2 RBI
Tyler Willis 2-4, 2 Runs
Nick Daniels 3-4, 2 Doubles, 2 Runs, 4 RBI's
Brandon Duplessis 1-3, Double, Sac Fly 2 RBI's
Joe Martin 2-3, 2 RBI's
Highland Park made it to 5-0, defeating Evanston 5-0 behind A.J. Nathan. Nathan tossed a 3 hitter, walking 4 and fanning 14, including the first 10 batters before issuing a walk. The game was 1-0 until the bottom of the 5th when HP put 3 on the board to make it 4 -0. They added one more in the 6th to make it to the final talley.
The hits kept on coming for the Whitney Young Sophomore Dolphins (7-4) in a hit parade game versus Von Stueben (9-3) at Dolphin Baseball Field located in the West Loop. In 5 innings it was a big 18-5 win for Whitney Young over Von. This Class of 2009 team is loaded with talent and is patiently waiting for its day in the sun to shine.

All spots in the Dolphin lineup contributed. It was Jason Ormond leading the charge with 4 Hits and 4 -RBI's; going 4 for 4 with two Triples, a Double and a Single. In the 1st Inning, leadoff hitter Gabe Henriques opened up the parade of hits with a Triple that scored the first Dolphin run. In the 3rd Inning Henriques expanded the Dolphin lead with a bases loaded Grand Slam Home Run; it was a big 4 RBI day for Henriques. Jack Cinamon had two big time Triples and 4 RBI's. Dai Bowden was 3 for 4 at the plate with 2 Singles and a Double for 3 RBI's. Andrew Platt was 3 for 3 with all Singles and Nat Kamin was 2 for 3 with two Singles. Eli Boyer contributed with a sac fly for an RBI and Freshman Center Fielder Cabrera contributed with a Double for 2-RBI's.

The winning pitcher was Jason Ormond; 5 Runs; 10-K's; 4-W's, 3 Hits and 2 Errors.

This was a Big Time Team win......Stay tuned for showtime at Whitney Young!
Hey Johnny,

If you want to join the peanut gallery that takes regular shots at Mr. Ormand, that's one thing. He's an adult and can probably deal with it.

Do the kids in the CPS a favour and draw the line at taking shots at them. They are out there playing ball and trying to compete...you sound like a complete jerk when you spew such harsh judgement on a bunch of players who are playing ball because they enjoy it, in whatever context.

Give it a rest. Better yet, shut the hell up. Who the hell are to say what is newsworthy and what isn't?

The CPS league has every right to participate in this thread. If you don't like it then don't read.
I find all of this sophomore interest intriguing. Up north, you seem to keep conference standings etc. That is foreign to what we do down south. Our sophomore squad down here is a JV squad. Yes, we can play juniors on it and some schools in our area do. However, we never do. If you can't make the varsity by the time you're a junior, then ... In most programs in our area, varsity rosters are full of sophomores and so the best sophomores are not playing sophomore ball at all. Isn't that the same up north? How valid then is any sophomore title? Again, I find this fascinating.
Last edited by CoachB25
CoachB,

I understand your point,on our team last year we had a sophomore move up and this year it looks like we are going to move a freshman up.

Having said that, we do keep tabs on the conference at the sophomore level. We like to use it as another way to motivate the players. However as coaches, we do not put any stock in the fact that we won.

Just a thought.
Wander, I'm not saying that I think it is wrong. I hope I didn't come off like that. I just find it odd. Not bad or good. For us, we have to play a sophomore or two every year if we want to win at the varsity level. This year, we have 4 sophomores getting routine playing time on the varsity. 2 are starting pitchers, one is a left fielder and one is our ss. I do think it is good to have the players playing for some goal. For us, that isn't practical and, instead, we use that as a teaching/learning year. We pretty much play everyone.
Coho,

I have an opinion like anyone else. Sophomore baseball in general is not newsworthy anywhere. I am sure they feel the same about Sophomore basketball.

I am not bashing kids who love to play the game, simply pointing out that those games are not new worthy.

On the other hand why would a father spend so much time writing about a sophmore baseball team and each time he does he makes sure to include 3 or 4 lines about his own kid.

Isn't that sick.
Thanks HitIt, that's the point.

Johnny,

You have already, earlier in this thread, stated your distaste with Ormond's posts. Give it a rest.

The games are newsworthy, there ARE people who are interested in finding out what's going on. You may not be one of them, and, you ARE involved in bashing them by making the statement the "real" baseball is non-existant in the CPS. That's a generalization and you come off as a jerk when you say that. It is flat out sarcastic and insulting. For you to try to deny that is laughable.

What's your point, Johnny?

Are you saying that this board is for suburban baseball only? That's where the "real" baseball is being played? Elite teams only? Get a life.

HititHard's characterization of people like you, and some others in this thread, being "overzealous" is way to gentle. You seem to have some serious respect issues and your saying that you "have an opinion like anyone else" is bull. Your opinion, and the way you state it is lame and condescending. Your excuse doesn't float. It is newsworthy because there are people who care about it and they are posting here.

You ask, "isn't that sick?" Yeah, maybe it is. But, if it IS sick..then you are equally guilty of being "sick". Your comments are consciously destructive, insulting and reek of a guy who has some strange needs.

This is not your board and you don't determine the content. There are plenty of other threads for you to play in, this one obviously has no meaning for you, so, stay out of it, perhaps?

There are many things in life that we can't control...try to keep that in mind and you might find a glimmer of happiness.
Last edited by Coho
To CoachB's point .... in the CPS, they do not have JV programs --- it is sophomore baseball (or traditionally frosh-soph) -- some of the schools have freshman programs now. Actually, the suburban schools (and even in the Catholic League) have the levels organized in a manner that may be a better way of running a program.

Although Mark's posts may be a bit ethusiastic for this level of baseball -- he is entitiled to his views.

Johnny --- With respect to any inference to CPS not playing "real" baseball --- that definitely does NOT apply to the top-level teams in the Jackie Robinson division (Clemente, Harlan, Young, Simeon, and Lane among others). Whereas, the overall quality of play in the CPS is weak --- that does not mean the kids and programs are not trying to do their best. For anyone to disparage an entire group of kids on a public forum is completely unwarranted and a bit irrepsonsible.

There are several CPS kids that read this forum and to spew out that they are not playing real baseball is not indicative of someone that really cares about the game -- Of course, Johnny if you are a kid -- your behavior could be understoood as a "sopohomoric" rant -- but as an adult, you should have better manners and keep your negative comments about kids to yourself.

Respect the game .......

Just to note -- some of the top players in the area play in the CPS (e.g. Clemente has three D-I players on their team) -- there are some but not many teams out there that can claim the same)
CoachB...I suspect Sophomores play on the Varsity more often where you are if as you said "varsity rosters are full of sophomores."

Around here it happens but most competitive schools may have none or maybe 1 or 2. We had one soph. last year and one this year along with a frosh.

For this reason and this reason only, perhaps soph. ball is a little stronger and taken a little more seriously here. Of course it is mostly the players and parents of the sophs who care about it!
It was Whitney Young (8-4) over Clemente 15-4 in 6 Innings at the Roberto Clemente Main Diamond located at Western and Division in Chicago.

Nate Kamin was the winning pitcher allowing 4 Runs; 3-K's, 2-W's, 4 Hits, 2 HBP, 3-E's.

Young had 11 Hits; as they appear in the lineup, Jack Cinamon, Double-1 RBI; Dai Bowden, Double-2 RBI; Einenbohm 2 Singles; Jason Ormond, Double-2 RBI; Eli Boyer, Double and Single-1 RBI; John Schreiber 1 RBI; Nate Kamin (winning pitcher) reached base 3 times with a Single, a Triple and off an Error-2 RBI; Andrew Platt Single-1 RBI; Curtis Rowe Single-1 RBI.

The freshman catcher, #28 did a great job allowing absolutely nothing to get past him and go to the backstop, which at Clemente field is a guaranteed extra base.

Simeon is next and visits Young on Thursday.
Suffice to say Sophomore baseball is noteworthy, as it gives everyone a view as to what might change over the next few years. The CPS has plenty of talent. Often it is coaching that is lacking as well as money for the programs. Years ago (okay, decades ago) when I played a Glenbard East we had separate Frosh, Soph, JV, and varsity teams in football. Then I went to Roosevelt in Chicago and we had 2 teams -Frosh/Soph and varsity. Worse yet, GB had 2 to 3 coaches at each level, Roosevelt had, at best 2. So you have a greater number of kids, with less coaching, at CPS. Does that make the kids bad?
Another point is made when Sophomores are touted due to being on the varsity. While we have some great sophomore players, in some cases it is a matter of the team and the talent. As was pointed out, in some areas sophomores are needed to fill out varsity rosters. In other schools you have sophomores that could start on the varsity at a number of schools but they will stay at the sophomore level because of the talent at their school.
Toozigoot,
Thanks! I've always felt people worry too much about what level someone is playing at. My godson, Joey Catomer, was drafted by the Cubs in 2000 out of Prospect High School. Jim (Joe's dad), never tried to have Joey play up, and Joey still received recognition. We have 3 sophomores on the HP roster. One starts and the other two move up and down as needed. The varsity coach wants to keep the other 2 sophomores playing regularly rather than just some of the time so he calls them up when they need additional pitching.
Now, a weekly update:
4/17 - Highland Park lost to Glenbrook North 8-1
4/18 HP defeated Niles West 6-5
4/19 HP lost again to GBN 5-4 in a close game decided in the bottom of the 7th when the HP pitcher threw wild to 1st in a pickoff attempt. HP then walked the bases loaded, only to see Mike Pisanelli of GBN come thru with a hit to RF to get the gamewinning RBI.
4/23 HP lost to Vernon Hills 5-4
4/24 HP lost a well pitched game (on both sides) to Maine West 3-1.
HP, after a strong start falls to 7-5, a position we(2009's)are not used to facing!
Sophomore Baseball Not Newsworthy???!!!! CPS doesn't matter????

Don't tell it to these guys!

By the way.......Check out the Chicago Tribune, Friday, April 27, 2007 where sports columnist Scott Strazzante was at Whitney Young on Tuesday afternoon and captured two of the Dolphin Junior Varsity players before leaving the campus to go to the Clemente game. Eli Boyer (Class of 2009) and Curtis Rowe (Class of 2010) are featured in this baseball photo.

You will find the story and picture on page 9 of the Chicago Tribune Sports Section.

The bus did not make it and the Tribune photographer caught the players 'chilling' as they waited for their parent rides to arrive. Eli Boyer is photographed talking on a cell phone to his Mother, an attorney who he called out of a meeting to help with transporting the players after the team bus got delayed. She indicated later, during the game that she was happy to have a good reason to leave work!

Thursdays game versus Simeon and Fridays game versus St. Rita were cancelled because of the rain.

Whitney Young getting it done on and off the field!
In a meeting of two of the top academic powerhouses in the state it was Whitney Young over Northside Prep 10-0 this afternoon. The game was played in the shadow of the Sears Tower on the West Loop campus of Whitney Young.

The winning pitcher was Kurt Rodder (Class of 2009).

A Home Run and a Triple by Dai Bowden (1 RBI) and two Triples (3-RBI) came off the bat of the Freshman Catcher Steven Giannon. Gabe Henriques connected for a Triple and Nate Kamin had two singles (1 RBI); Eli Boyer - Single (1 RBI); Eienbohn - Single (1 RBI).
quote:
Originally posted by mark ormond:
In a meeting of two of the top academic powerhouses in the state it was Whitney Young over Northside Prep 10-0 this afternoon.

Interesting quote. Where did you get this statistic from? The high school I work at has been listed in Money Magazine's "Top 100 Educational Values in America." Yet, I've never seen a state listing of the "top academic schools." I love to read such a report/ranking.

I'm going to bet that the Illinois School of Math and Science is right up there when it comes to academics! LOL!
Last edited by CoachB25
In 2005 Whitney Young High School earned recognition as one of the top schools in the country by US News and World Report, ranking the school among the top 10% of high schools nationally. This ranking includes both public and private high schools and is the crown jewel in the CPS high school system and is recognized by many as the one of the most prestigious of high schools to attend.

It is a fact (without embellishment) that Whitney Young has earned numerous accolades and consistently scores among the top high schools in the entire state of Illinois. This week Whitney Young is competing with its Academic Decathlon team for national honors in Hawaii. I spoke with Dr. Joyce Kenner, school principal yesterday, who is in Hawaii with the team and as I understand, the competition went very well and once again the school will be once again recognized for its outstanding performance on this national stage of academic accomplishment. For the record, this was the 21st straight year for Whitney Young to be the Champions of the Illinois State Decathlon. In 2005 the school finished 4th nationally; I have not heard how the school placed in the competition that is currently underway.

These are all just a few of the many barometers of the outstanding group of students who attend this nationally recognized high school.

Does Illinois Math & Science compete with an IHSA baseball team?

Make no small plans....Make big plans; Aim high in hope, and work, remembering that a noble, logical diagram once located will not die."
~ Daniel Burnham from The Plan of Chicago 1890
Link copied to your clipboard.