Skip to main content

has anybody seen any teams this fall? my predictions right now would be
1 nansemond river
2 great bridge
3 western branch
4 hickory

the teams after this are probably average
indian river has had transfers but there whole pitching staff looks to be coming back
grassfield lost alot of pitching

after that i dont know much! for us oscar smith we are undefeated playing nansemond suffolk and tallwood hopefully we will be turning it around soon the jv team came 5th in the district last yr.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

A little early for this. But since you're asking, I think that you could rearrange any of those top 4 in any spot. Do any of these teams have more than one top notch pitcher? Is there any one pitcher that will dominate?

Hickory's coaching is much better this past year. The development of the young talent has turned around 180 deg. They've got some really good young players coming up. And they'll have excellent defense behind their pitching in the spring.
Last edited by Diamond Stalker
Nansemond River will most likely look to senior Tyler Brown who threw 50+ innings last year going 6-3 with hard fought losses to Hickory, Grassfield and South County in the state quarterfinals. Junior Zach Rice finished last season at 5-0 with wins in elimination games in the district tournament against Western Branch and regional tournament against Churchland. Senior Kyle Moore has looked very good in the fall and appears poised to make an impact on the mound in the spring.

Any of those four teams can finish at the top, but until someone knocks off Great Bridge how can they not be #1?
If Great bridge is going to repeat they will need Conner Jones to be the difference in the key games.

Nansmond River will have the best offense in the district. Their pitching will be better.

Western Branch will be dangerous but not sure they will hit enough to beat out either NR or GB.

Hickory will need better in all phases if they are going to contend.
A couple of our SED players in Ft. Myers Florida today:

The Canes Prospects scored 7 runs over the last 2 innings to take a 7-5 win over the Longshots Baseball Teal. 3B Charlie Cody (2014, Great Bridge HS, VA) led off the bottom of the 6th inning with a triple and was singled home by 1B Nathan Blaylock (2013, A.C. Reynolds HS, NC) to provide the lead and eventual winning run.

LHP Zach Rice (2013, Nansemond River HS, VA) threw the final 1 2/3 innings for Canes to get the win. The 6-2/175 Rice topped out at 85 mph with a 69 mph curveball.
Last edited by Go Dawgs
So, we all know who the popular names are. Who, in your mind, that doesn't get much press here on this forum will make a big contribution next spring?

I'll give you a couple of young players from Hickory that I feel we'll be hearing about:

Jake Tandy and Spenser Carter. Both are solid, and clutch with the bat and both are exceptional defensively. Both play 3rd base but I believe that one or the other will be playing OF just to get them in the game.
I think Bennent is the #1 at WB this season. I think the overall quality and depth of pitching in the district will be down this year compared to past years.

Connor Jones emergence at Great Bridge was the reason they won last year and he should be the best pitcher in the district this year. If he is and wins the key games he will be the difference maker in the district.
A write-up on the perfect game website from sunday night at the 2011 WWBA Underclass Championship in Fort Myers, Fla.:

"3 Canes combine to 1-hit Aces Baseball
10/10/2011 9:03:56 AM

Canes Baseball RHPs Andy McGuire (2013, James Madison HS, VA) and Connor Jones (2013, Great Bridge HS, VA) as well as LHP Zach Rice (2013, Nansemond River HS, VA) combined to strike out 10 Aces Baseball hitters, limiting them to just 1 hit, in a 9-0 win. Jones and Rice each struck out 3 in 2 innings, while McGuire struck out 4 over the final 3 frames.

Jones showed a plus fastball, commanding the pitch well and throwing it consistently in the 85-87/88 range. He also threw a low-70s curveball.

Rice was 81-84, showing good feel and comfort throwing his 69-71 curveball."

While Zach Rice was credited with throwing 2 innings he only threw 1, striking out the side.
quote:
Originally posted by ofs10:
i think the only ace i dont know is lakeland!\

nr-tyler brown
gb-connor jones
wb-shane johnsonbaugh may have a freshmen catcher]
hickory-ryan blake
grassfield-kolby white
indian river-roger hall
kings fork-? dombroski
deep creek-seth winslow

IMO i wouldnt say Kolby is the Ace of the staff at GF.
im not sure, mostly by committee. Stephen has looked good, Walker and Kolby have also started, AO hasn’t played this fall; I think Coach Todd is trying to determine that. Of course it’s hard to compare to the last couple of years of GF pitchers. I think coach Liebo does a great job with the pitchers, I anticipate them improving by spring.
Since its fall, I’m hoping we don’t have all our players. In a word - fair. It would appear our pitching is getting better but I would like to see more explosiveness from our bats. It’s tough to compare with the competition we are playing in the fall to the competition we will be facing in the spring. However, I understand we are playing Hickory (not sure when) which would give me a better idea of how we are doing.
quote:
the 1 inning yesterday was the best form of hitting i have seen them hit!i think hickory's problem will be pitching depth!

Hickory's pitching will come around. It's been a good fall. With winter workouts, strength gain, and personal lessons throughout the winter to improve mechanics... by the time spring rolls around, I won't expect a drop off from last year.
Last edited by Diamond Stalker
If Hickory is still working on turning players like Campbell and Best into pitchers then that probably means they will have inconsistent moments. Almost certainly better than last year but still shy of the teams they need to catch for the top spot.

They will move above GF and stay ahead of the rest of the pack but I think they will struggle with WB, NR and GB. I would look for something like 10-6 from them in the district.

I think GF is 5th but OS has a chance to catch them if things break right there. OS should get ahead of IR this year for a playoff spot.
Depending on who they play that same week, I think hickory has an excellent opportunity to move ahead of WB and GB. WB lost some offensive powers last year and yes they still have some left, but I look at the new head coach (2nd year?) and returning most of Hickory’s starting talent – they should be right in the thick of things. Ryan Blake was great last year and the back end of that line up had some power. As far as GB, they will still have the pieces in place (tough on a team losing the middle infield), but I think there will be some slippage with the lost of not only lee, but also Grissom and (rivera?) the pitching coach.
Last edited by GF
For Hickory to move up big in the standings there are players there that will have do things this year that haven't shown previously while established players at other schools need to stay the same or not perform as well as in the past.

I know that All-District team selections are flawed but Hickory returns no players that have made the team and IMO Campbell is a sure thing this year. After Campbell there are players with potential but there aren't any other no brainers. Other teams mentioned as favorites have as many as 4 players that have made the team as underclassmen and others that should be no brainers this year. For example Conner Jones at GB. Hickory may be on the way up but I don't think they will make up that much ground that fast.
If OS is to make a move I think the big thing will be for them to improve defensively. Inconsistent fielding has made the pitching there work harder and finer adding to walks and cost them significant numbers of runs over the last couple of sesons.

When they turn the 8-5 loss with 4-5 errors and 6 walks into a 5-3 win with 1 error and two walks then they will be really turning the corner.
luv baseball, I couldn't agree more and that is a spot on assesment of OS from last year.
I think they will be much stronger defensively than last year if the Fall season is an indication of them heading in the right direction.
Their 3rd baseman (Conner Smith) is a 6'-5" or 6" beast as a junior and is doing nothing but getting bigger and stronger, he was very impressive defensively at the Nick Boothe showcase. Their projected SS (Caleb Ferrel) is a pure athlete,has a rocket arm and misses nothing at that position, problem is he is also their best C. They have a sophmore (I think) SS (Thomas Packert) who also has great defensive potential but is young. Their 2B is also a solid defensive player, all in all their problems defensively may be their OF positions lacking solid, consistent play and depth of pitching. I do think Larry will have them winning more games this year though.
quote:
Originally posted by CARDS FAN:
quote:
great bridge has cooper and conner jones comeing back
western branch has johnsonbaugh and a sophomore
nansemond river has zach rice
hickory has ryan blake

but wasnt hickory jv like 11-7 last year!

Maybe I am missing something here.... But what does Hickory's 2011 JV record have to do with who ofs10 believes this season's number one (?)/ top (?) pitcher will be?
Last edited by mathews41
Can't answer for OFS but last year Conner Jones, Austin Owens and Charlie Cody came up fromt the GB JV that went something like 16-2 the year before.

So stud players on the JV moving up implies a winning team rather than a slightly above 500 squad. In the Jones case it was an upper level D1 pitcher.

Did the Hickory JV have that kind of prospect? If not then the Hickory pitching will be better by how much players like Ryan Blake improve this year over last.
quote:
Originally posted by GWTW62:
Any specifics ofs10? Strenghths/Weaknesses? Thanks!

Pitching for GBC is of course solid, as it always is. They have some offensive power but not as strong as their improved defensive play, especially in the OF. NC is weak in every area of the game, maybe one mediocre pitcher (and downhill from there) and very weak defensively, seem to have alot of small, weaker kids offensively as well, overall a very weak team if you expecting a challenge.
quote:
who is troy jones?

He played for Lake Taylor in 2010. Was not satisfied, per his father, with the experience, so switched to Kellam for 2011. (Of course, Kellam does not recruit.) Appears he is now at Great Bridge. Who knows? Maybe he will end up with a Peninsula district team in 2013 and can be the only baseball player to have played in every district in the Eastern Region.

Don't know how much he pitched for Kellam. Perhaps Redbird or Driller can expand upon that.
I ditto that , I got great laughs out of him doing that. He did it at one American Legion game and I fell out laughing so hard. As a parent I understood his rational, some didn't understand it and never will.
quote:
Originally posted by luv baseball:
The other big change for 2012 is that ole Wiley won't be prowling the 3rd base coaching line. I am sure thier games will have a totally different feel.

It was always amusing to watch him call time, stomp 75' down the line, snatch a bat out a kids hands and show him how to bunt after they fouled one off. Good times!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.