Skip to main content

has anybody seen any teams this fall? my predictions right now would be
1 nansemond river
2 great bridge
3 western branch
4 hickory

the teams after this are probably average
indian river has had transfers but there whole pitching staff looks to be coming back
grassfield lost alot of pitching

after that i dont know much! for us oscar smith we are undefeated playing nansemond suffolk and tallwood hopefully we will be turning it around soon the jv team came 5th in the district last yr.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

A little early for this. But since you're asking, I think that you could rearrange any of those top 4 in any spot. Do any of these teams have more than one top notch pitcher? Is there any one pitcher that will dominate?

Hickory's coaching is much better this past year. The development of the young talent has turned around 180 deg. They've got some really good young players coming up. And they'll have excellent defense behind their pitching in the spring.
Last edited by Diamond Stalker
Nansemond River will most likely look to senior Tyler Brown who threw 50+ innings last year going 6-3 with hard fought losses to Hickory, Grassfield and South County in the state quarterfinals. Junior Zach Rice finished last season at 5-0 with wins in elimination games in the district tournament against Western Branch and regional tournament against Churchland. Senior Kyle Moore has looked very good in the fall and appears poised to make an impact on the mound in the spring.

Any of those four teams can finish at the top, but until someone knocks off Great Bridge how can they not be #1?
If Great bridge is going to repeat they will need Conner Jones to be the difference in the key games.

Nansmond River will have the best offense in the district. Their pitching will be better.

Western Branch will be dangerous but not sure they will hit enough to beat out either NR or GB.

Hickory will need better in all phases if they are going to contend.
A couple of our SED players in Ft. Myers Florida today:

The Canes Prospects scored 7 runs over the last 2 innings to take a 7-5 win over the Longshots Baseball Teal. 3B Charlie Cody (2014, Great Bridge HS, VA) led off the bottom of the 6th inning with a triple and was singled home by 1B Nathan Blaylock (2013, A.C. Reynolds HS, NC) to provide the lead and eventual winning run.

LHP Zach Rice (2013, Nansemond River HS, VA) threw the final 1 2/3 innings for Canes to get the win. The 6-2/175 Rice topped out at 85 mph with a 69 mph curveball.
Last edited by Go Dawgs
So, we all know who the popular names are. Who, in your mind, that doesn't get much press here on this forum will make a big contribution next spring?

I'll give you a couple of young players from Hickory that I feel we'll be hearing about:

Jake Tandy and Spenser Carter. Both are solid, and clutch with the bat and both are exceptional defensively. Both play 3rd base but I believe that one or the other will be playing OF just to get them in the game.
I think Bennent is the #1 at WB this season. I think the overall quality and depth of pitching in the district will be down this year compared to past years.

Connor Jones emergence at Great Bridge was the reason they won last year and he should be the best pitcher in the district this year. If he is and wins the key games he will be the difference maker in the district.
A write-up on the perfect game website from sunday night at the 2011 WWBA Underclass Championship in Fort Myers, Fla.:

"3 Canes combine to 1-hit Aces Baseball
10/10/2011 9:03:56 AM

Canes Baseball RHPs Andy McGuire (2013, James Madison HS, VA) and Connor Jones (2013, Great Bridge HS, VA) as well as LHP Zach Rice (2013, Nansemond River HS, VA) combined to strike out 10 Aces Baseball hitters, limiting them to just 1 hit, in a 9-0 win. Jones and Rice each struck out 3 in 2 innings, while McGuire struck out 4 over the final 3 frames.

Jones showed a plus fastball, commanding the pitch well and throwing it consistently in the 85-87/88 range. He also threw a low-70s curveball.

Rice was 81-84, showing good feel and comfort throwing his 69-71 curveball."

While Zach Rice was credited with throwing 2 innings he only threw 1, striking out the side.
quote:
Originally posted by ofs10:
i think the only ace i dont know is lakeland!\

nr-tyler brown
gb-connor jones
wb-shane johnsonbaugh may have a freshmen catcher]
hickory-ryan blake
grassfield-kolby white
indian river-roger hall
kings fork-? dombroski
deep creek-seth winslow

IMO i wouldnt say Kolby is the Ace of the staff at GF.
im not sure, mostly by committee. Stephen has looked good, Walker and Kolby have also started, AO hasn’t played this fall; I think Coach Todd is trying to determine that. Of course it’s hard to compare to the last couple of years of GF pitchers. I think coach Liebo does a great job with the pitchers, I anticipate them improving by spring.
Since its fall, I’m hoping we don’t have all our players. In a word - fair. It would appear our pitching is getting better but I would like to see more explosiveness from our bats. It’s tough to compare with the competition we are playing in the fall to the competition we will be facing in the spring. However, I understand we are playing Hickory (not sure when) which would give me a better idea of how we are doing.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.