Lakeland          @ Grassfield

Hickory          @ Oscar Smith

Western Branch @ King's Fork

Great Bridge    @ Indian River         

Last edited by WB Reporter
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Originally Posted by GB_Baseball:
Nansemond and WB is going to be a very good game! Who y'all got?

Well...the general consensus is that Western Branch is unbeatable, right!?

If NR plays like they did in Week 1, they can beat WB.  If they play like they did last week, they will not.

If I'm not mistaken, and I could be...but I think all three games last year were decided by one run.  I recall two of the three being decided in the 7th inning.

Last edited by GoHeels

It is April 7 and WB has only 4 games left with the old SED and only 2 after this week.  Rest of schedule is Peninsula and Florida teams.  They play GF and OS in a4 day span a month from now but that might be it against the SED for them. 

These strings might need to be retitled to Ches./Suffolk Baseball.

Take WB in this one but I expect the River to show up.

Last edited by luv baseball
Originally Posted by luv baseball:

It is April 7 and WB has only 4 games left with the old SED and only 2 after this week.  Rest of schedule is Peninsula and Florida teams.  They play GF and OS in a4 day span a month from now but that might be it against the SED for them. 

It is true that we're nearing the end for the SED portion of the schedule.  In any case, it will be interesting to keep up with the SED schools to see how they are faring against all other comers.

I tend to believe there will be five SED schools with approximately 16-20 wins as the conference tournaments are being played, with the same 5 moving onto their respective Regional tournaments.  Which is to say, I don't think the local competition will provide much, on balance.

Spring Break will be a different story!

Last edited by GoHeels

The Southeastern District still exists.

Originally Posted by SE_DAD:
Originally Posted by WB Reporter:

Friday, April 11         

Lakeland          @ Grassfield

Hickory          @ Oscar Smith

Western Branch @ King's Fork         

Great Bridge @ Indian River on Friday April 11 Also-

Game added above.  However, neither the Great Bridge baseball web site nor the official SED website shows that game on their schedule.  The Great Bridge web site shows the game at Indian River to be on April 22.

Originally Posted by WB Reporter:

The Southeastern District still exists.

That is true ...it is sort of the way the Queen of England does.   It's there with a lot of history and tradition but it doesn't mean much anymore...at least for baseball.

Yea I really don't like this new baseball setup.  I think adding 6 teams to SED was a good move. It made it interesting to see what would happen if a 5 or 6 seed could advance.  It should matter the size of school. Certain sports can thrive in a big time atmosphere.  Other programs should just work harder or hire better coaches.  These games mean nothing at all. Bragging rights at best. 

As far as WB vs. NR game goes, I feel as if WB pulls it out.  Hickory beat NR badly and WB beat Hickory like a redheaded step child.  If NR shows and a plays error free baseball on the field and the BASES, then they have a chance.  WB's lineup is killing it having scored 95 runs in seven games.  That is without Jordan Mason in the lineup who can swing it as well.  He should be back during or after spring break. I look for them to run away with it here in regular season play.  Florida games may be tough on them having to play Nova and North Broward Prep and MS Douglas. They play 4 games but those 3 are really good teams. Could be a epic year for them and possibly hang another STATE banner like they did in 2004.

Originally Posted by nrbb07:

Yea I really don't like this new baseball setup.  I think adding 6 teams to SED was a good move. It made it interesting to see what would happen if a 5 or 6 seed could advance.  It should matter the size of school. Certain sports can thrive in a big time atmosphere.  Other programs should just work harder or hire better coaches.  These games mean nothing at all. Bragging rights at best. 

As far as WB vs. NR game goes, I feel as if WB pulls it out.  Hickory beat NR badly and WB beat Hickory like a redheaded step child.  If NR shows and a plays error free baseball on the field and the BASES, then they have a chance.  WB's lineup is killing it having scored 95 runs in seven games.  That is without Jordan Mason in the lineup who can swing it as well.  He should be back during or after spring break. I look for them to run away with it here in regular season play.  Florida games may be tough on them having to play Nova and North Broward Prep and MS Douglas. They play 4 games but those 3 are really good teams. Could be a epic year for them and possibly hang another STATE banner like they did in 2004.

The "this person beat that one, and that one beat the other" doesn't really work.  While Hickory beat NR badly, Great Bridge beat Hickory.  But wait, NR beat Great Bridge.  

Therefore, Hickory is better than NR.  Great Bridge is better than Hickory, and NR is better than Great Bridge.  The logic doesn't seem to work for me!

More likely, Hickory laid an egg against WB, just as NR did the same against Hickory.  It happens.  Otherwise, they are all of similar ilk, and are capable of beating one another on any given day.  As it is, that day will have to wait.  NR vs. WB bumped to Wednesday!

When defending a weak position there are "lies, damn lies and statistics".  Agree that who beat who doesn't have much meaning, but NR experienced some of the base running and defensive mistakes against Hickory (and also Kings Fork and Oscar Smith that they were able to overcome) that has plagued them historically.  Western Branch is always a fundamentally sound team and top to bottom is probably the more talented of the two this year.  If NR can avoid the untimely mental errors that WB doesn't seem to make then they can absolutely win a close low scoring game. Otherwise, a strong hitting team like WB will likely make them pay for those breakdowns the way Hickory was able to do last week.  

Originally Posted by Go Dawgs:

When defending a weak position there are "lies, damn lies and statistics".  Agree that who beat who doesn't have much meaning, but NR experienced some of the base running and defensive mistakes against Hickory (and also Kings Fork and Oscar Smith that they were able to overcome) that has plagued them historically.  Western Branch is always a fundamentally sound team and top to bottom is probably the more talented of the two this year.  If NR can avoid the untimely mental errors that WB doesn't seem to make then they can absolutely win a close low scoring game. Otherwise, a strong hitting team like WB will likely make them pay for those breakdowns the way Hickory was able to do last week.  

Being ranked in a couple different national polls certainly speaks to the talent that WB has on their roster.  I do think the difference between the two (NR & WB) this season is not so much in the quality of the players, but WB has a little more depth and a lot more experience.  The core of that WB group are now juniors and seniors, and many of them have been playing varsity baseball since their freshman year. (and playing together since shetland ball)

NR has plenty of talent, but nearly half of the lineup is in the 9th or 10th grade and was playing JV ball last season.  (which also explains some of the mental mistakes and baserunning).  Nearly all of which have been made by the younger, less experienced group. 

Defensively, NR has been very good up the middle, up to this point.

Last edited by GoHeels
Don't mistake my comment that WB is "probably more talented" to mean NR is talent-less.  That in no way represents what I posted. I had the same opinion (only in reverse) two years ago when half of WB's roster was made up of 9th & 10th graders and NR had a group of juniors and seniors that were "probably more talented".  Talent level isn't stagnant over time. Physical maturity, experience, and maybe even the molding of raw talent by coaches are factors when making comparisons.
Last edited by Go Dawgs
Originally Posted by Go Dawgs:
Don't mistake my comment that WB is "probably more talented" to mean NR is talent-less.  That in no way represents what I posted. I had the same opinion (only in reverse) two years ago when half of WB's roster was made up of 9th & 10th graders and NR had a group of juniors and seniors that were "probably more talented".  Talent level isn't stagnant over time. Physical maturity, experience, and maybe even the molding of raw talent by coaches are factors when making comparisons.

I understand your perspective!  I also agree with 96.3% of your observations to this point. 

I do believe the return of a senior infielder, as he works himself into shape, will be a big plus.  Looking forward to seeing two quality programs compete this evening!

Originally Posted by BaseballDad757:
WB beats NR 6-0.    Rutherford complete game.  Threw very well.  Devon Fisher hit a bomb and solid double to lead WB.

WB has seven hits, NR with six.  Difference in the game was WBs ability to get those hits with runners on base.

I completely agree with Rutherford.  That's as good as I've seen him throw.  

About the only thing I didn't like WAS the 8 inches the umpire was giving the pitchers off of both sides of the plate.I will say it was very consistent for both teams but it definitely kept the batters confused while giving the pitchers a real advantage.The Nan. River center fielder actually drew a line in the left batters box showing the umpire where the pitch was as he went down looking in the first inning.Not impressed with the call or the player showing up the umpire...
#one in a row#bruins
Originally Posted by BaseballDad757:
Not mentioned....WB stole a few bases too.  Far more agressive on base paths.  Fisher limits oppositions ability to do that to WB.   NR had to attempt atleast 15 pickoffs trying to keep WB runners in check.

WB did steal a few bases, although two outs were recorded due to stolen attempts.  I wouldn't necessarily characterize them as more aggressive on the base paths.  They simply had more opportunities.  They had seven hits (most of which were singles)  and 5 walks, I believe.  Therefore, they had a baserunner on 1st a number of times, including a couple of 1st and 3rds.  NR had six hits, with no walks.  Three of those hits were doubles, so there was no need to try and run when they're already in scoring position.  The score and the timing also dictates base running decisions to a large degree.

To your point though, I'm not sure that they were going to be running all day with Fisher behind the plate.  He hits it well and throws it well (which you hear about, so not surprised), but I was more impressed with how he handled himself as a receiver.  He was quite good!

In the end, while Fisher deserves plenty of credit for his defensive ability, Rutherford deserves just as much on the mound.  He is very efficient in getting the ball to the plate quickly and in a way that his catcher can handle.  Often overlooked, but ever important!  Rutherford was simply outstanding.

Originally Posted by TriplePlay_3:
The kids that play no what they have to do to win ball games. It's a shame that kids who aren't good enough to get on the field have parents that think they are All State performers when they are lucky to even be on the team.

Why is that a shame? Just wondering, because that's an arrogant statement.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.