Skip to main content

Hey, i just wanted to bring up a topic about pitchers who can throw knuckleballs. Unless someone is a straight knuckleball pitcher, the pitch itself isnt seen very often. If a pitcher can throw a deceant fast ball high 80's or better and has a good knuckleball what does he do? This has just brought some interest to me.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The knuckleball arm action and release are different than the most normal pitching arm actions. The 2 together may adversely effect a pitcher over time. Unless you have no fastball, like Wakefield, why would you need a knuckleball. I like the change of speeds approach, that way the pitcher learns to keep the arm action the same, changes speeds and deceives the hitter. The only guys I've seen using a knuckler are usually washed up pro's that are looking to hang on, and if the knuckler can keep them in the game, then so be it.
A knuckleball does not have to be thrown using a different arm motion or mechanics. When thrown using the same motion, it can be effective.

Throwing 3 speeds makes even more sense than just two speeds with a FB and changeup. I have seen a kid throwing fastball in high 80's, change up in the 70's and a knuckler that wouldn't get a speeding ticket. He throws the knuckle as noted above using the same arm motion/mechanics and only throws it a max of about 5 times per game. Add in a spiked 12-6 curve ball and it makes for a good combination.

Some argue that the process of holding the knuckleball "trains" the muscles of the wrist such that it can be detrimental to the free flow of a fastball. I am interested in hearing if there is really any scientific basis for this. It makes some sense to me if it was done frequently but I believe if done infrequently as noted above, the effect would be minimal at best.

Heck, even when I golf I do the right thing about 5% of the time. That hasn't trained me to do it more often...
Sorry BVGTM. Pro's or good pitching instructors will tell you that the proper and time tested way to throw a knuckler is to push the ball forward and let the ball float out of the hand. The pushing action is not at all the same as a full circle arm action of a pitcher. The knuckler is usually a joke pitch for young experimentalists. The pitch won't often get the pitcher to the next level and that should be a goal for most young pitchers.
I agree that the normal way to throw a knuckler is with the pushing motion...and most are taught to throw it that way. I also agree that in the pro's, most use it as a last resort.

However if one can retard the spin on the ball that results in reduced velocity while maintaining normal arm motion/speed, it becomes a very effective pitch third speed changeup. Look at other pitches such as the splitter, forkball, palmball, etc. that can also be thrown using normal arm motion and also rely on changing the ball spin.
I throw a knuckleball and its very affective with half rotation and has lots of movement that really make the batter frustrated when swinging at it. I use the knuckleball more then my fastball and my fastball is 76-81mph. I get more strike outs with the knuckle ball. This year my record was 8-1.
Last edited by N1
Actually Im not sure because I've been practicing my knuckleball for 3-4 years and this year I felt like I almost mastured the knuckleball. One game I threw 85% knuckleballs and had a 1 hitter with it. I also have a 12-6 curveball that also works very well and then there was my fastball that people think is pretty fast for my age(15) 76-81mph. Im also hoping for a growth spurt soon. Im only 5'6" and 105 pounds. Im Extremely light! But I eat alot!! Smile.
Last edited by N1

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.