Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Originally Posted by floridafan:

Gee... I don't know...

You time yourself and you develop short quick steps which are the key to agility, I suppose.

My son did these after he broke his leg for rehab and he was quicker after the break then he was before the break.

Ah I see, that makes sense. To be honest I hadn't really thought of that haha, thank you!

I would suggest the book "Training for Speed, Agility, and Quickness".  It has roughly 200 drills specific to your question. To maximize the effectiveness of SAQ training you'll want to develop a base level of strength (squat twice your body weight, bench press your body weight).  Ladder drills are good but one small part of a basic SAQ program.  You'll also need to learn how to run, how to move you're arms when you run, proper positioning of your toes, etc.  Hardly anyone has decent running technique prior to starting a SAQ program.  Interval running, starts, uphill and downhill running (on slight inclines and declines as well as hill/stadium sprints), parachutes, resisted and assisted running, pushing and pulling weighted sleds, hurdles, they're  all involved in a good SAQ program.  There is one good drill specific to baseball and that's a cross-over start.  Basically it mimic's taking a lead at a base and then stealing the next base.  You cross-over into the sprint.  One point with speed work, almost all of the drills require maximum effort.  You'll go through many reps of maximum effort, followed by recovery, and then the next rep.  Once you're worn down then you usually stop the speed work and go onto something else (i.e. form work).  By going at maximum effort you can improve speed, anything less and you really won't see improvement.  Have fun

Goldengraham34,

If your looking to get faster you first need to develop strength because without strength, there is no power. Don't get caught up in the fancy stuff, just keep things simple, basic, and work your tail off. Master body weight movements like squats lunges, push-ups, pull-ups, learn to do animal movements, sprint, and jump. Ladders and hurdles are good but don't get tied down to them to often. Get strong and get powerful. This is a strength and power sport. Hope this helps, ask any questions you have
Originally Posted by Chasek19:
Goldengraham34,

If your looking to get faster you first need to develop strength because without strength, there is no power. Don't get caught up in the fancy stuff, just keep things simple, basic, and work your tail off. Master body weight movements like squats lunges, push-ups, pull-ups, learn to do animal movements, sprint, and jump. Ladders and hurdles are good but don't get tied down to them to often. Get strong and get powerful. This is a strength and power sport. Hope this helps, ask any questions you have

Thank you for your reply! How much do you recommend I should do? Bodyweight strength and plyometrics everyday, and sprints 2 or three times per week? Also, what jumps do you recommend? Just work on my vertical jump and broad jump? I always just feel much more confident in what im doing when I have a sort of routine to do.Thank you so much, sorry for all the questions, though!

Originally Posted by sowilson:

I would suggest the book "Training for Speed, Agility, and Quickness".  It has roughly 200 drills specific to your question. To maximize the effectiveness of SAQ training you'll want to develop a base level of strength (squat twice your body weight, bench press your body weight).  Ladder drills are good but one small part of a basic SAQ program.  You'll also need to learn how to run, how to move you're arms when you run, proper positioning of your toes, etc.  Hardly anyone has decent running technique prior to starting a SAQ program.  Interval running, starts, uphill and downhill running (on slight inclines and declines as well as hill/stadium sprints), parachutes, resisted and assisted running, pushing and pulling weighted sleds, hurdles, they're  all involved in a good SAQ program.  There is one good drill specific to baseball and that's a cross-over start.  Basically it mimic's taking a lead at a base and then stealing the next base.  You cross-over into the sprint.  One point with speed work, almost all of the drills require maximum effort.  You'll go through many reps of maximum effort, followed by recovery, and then the next rep.  Once you're worn down then you usually stop the speed work and go onto something else (i.e. form work).  By going at maximum effort you can improve speed, anything less and you really won't see improvement.  Have fun

Thanks, I'll check it out! Are the majority of the drills exercises you can do with little/no equipment? Those sleds are very expensive! Until I get that book, do you suggest to just get stronger so I can get that good foundation of strength?

Goldengraham34,

That's great that you like to have a plan before you do things. I would recommend that you get your self a composition book and track all of your workouts, and you can also keep track of your hitting sessions as well. Write down how you felt, what was working, what wasn't, drills you did, and hitting cues. For example, my two hitting cues are slow down the process and attack the inside part.

Your core movements in the strength and conditioning realm are the squat deadlift overhead press and bench. For starters, since you need to build your foundation, focus on the body weight squat, pushup, pull-ups, handstands, and hip thrusters. Perform 3-5 sets of 10-15 quality reps. Throw in some pop up sprints, hill sprints, animal movements, box jumps, lunge jumps, broad jumps, burpees.

Once you master these movements, then you can take a step forward and dumbells kettlebells and sandbags to these movements.

Remember training and baseball is supposed to be fun. So go to a local elementary school that has pull-up bars and work hard.
Last edited by Chasek19
Try talking with your School's Track Coach. Speed: Getting off on the right start, is as important as one's stride, gate, and arm position, etc. The proper method of breathing is also important. Take up jogging, to build up stamina and endurance. Agility: Stetches and Football player types of footwork and agility drills. Maybe they would be willing to take a look at your running, and be willing to work with you, or at least give you some pointers. Good luck.
Originally Posted by GoldenGraham34:

What are some drills or exercises I can do to increase my speed and agility? Anything helps. Thanks!

To touch on a few points from above:

-The agility ladder is a good warm up tool, but besides that I don't have much use for it. It will not make you quicker, faster, or more explosive. 

-Someone mentioned that you need to build strength before you can build power and they are absolutely correct. The stronger you are the more force you can produce.

Speed is all about stride length x stride frequency. You can speed when you learn how to lengthen your stride, while maintaining or increase the velocity of which your legs move. These can be practiced as part of your dynamic warm up (high knees, bounding) or through plyos. 

Research as much as you can about sprinting mechanics. Technique makes a huge difference.

-When pumping your arms your hands should go from back behind your pocket (hip) to up next to your face (lip). Think hip-to-lip. 

-Hands should not cross mid-line of your body. Keep elbows in tight and not flared out.

-When swinging your arm from lip to hip lead with your elbow. Think of your elbow as a hammer and there is a nail directly behind you. Drive that elbow backwards with enough force to hammer a nail. 

-Practice pumping your arms in the mirror 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.