Skip to main content

With spin rate data becoming more available at the high school level, will we start to see it as a standard part of the showcase experience like the 60, exit velocity, and throwing velocity? Seems like PBR at least is headed that way.

If choosing between showcases, is it worth considering the availability of spin rate data to see if the pitcher has outlier spin rates? Or to get them “verified”? Will that even matter for recruiting?

Thanks.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Yes, I think it will.  PBR already includes it in a lot of their showcases or invitationals.  I think spin rate helps verify what a coach might see.  I don't think that it elevates an average pitcher (in terms of velocity), I do think it helps separate pitchers that are already pretty elite in terms of velocity.  Vanderbilt was using spin rate at their camps in 2016-2017.  We got all the data (from all the pitchers at the event) when we left along with 3 camera angles.  Interestingly, of the pitchers from the camp that were invited for a private tour, they offered the kid with an extremely low spin rate (which is also good since you are wanting to separate from the average).

Blah, blah, blah.  None of this matters a bit unless a pitcher has solid mechanics and can command the baseball. Almost all HS pitchers need to improve both of those things before they worry about analytics. Until a player can throw 2 different pitches, at 2 different speeds, for a strike in any count he is a thrower and not a pitcher IMO. Why don’t we turn kids into pitchers first? Then they can worry about spin rate, etc. Would be great if we could get the horse back in front of the cart.

@adbono posted:

Blah, blah, blah.  None of this matters a bit unless a pitcher has solid mechanics and can command the baseball. Almost all HS pitchers need to improve both of those things before they worry about analytics. Until a player can throw 2 different pitches, at 2 different speeds, for a strike in any count he is a thrower and not a pitcher IMO. Why don’t we turn kids into pitchers first? Then they can worry about spin rate, etc. Would be great if we could get the horse back in front of the cart.

Agree 100%

my D3 third baseman/first baseman can generate tremendous spin rate just goofing around with spider grip & pine tar.  Trust me, 0% of college coaches want him on the mound.

I think the first time i saw spin rate was after son went to Ft Meyers and pitched for Blue Jays scout team. He always had a solid CB and it was cool to see how he matched up with the best of the best there, in regards to SR and Velo on those pitches. I've never gone back to look at those drafted from that group and what, if any correlation can be taken from that in regards to this subject.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.