Skip to main content

Little update on son.....been very enlightening.  He's made travel team roster so far for all the games, although several games he only stepped foot on the field to help the outfielders warm up. (He's the only freshman and has a lot to learn and he knows it.)  He did get 1 shot batting in the line up and flied out to center.  Has pinch run and that's about it.  Although it's hard to sit and watch and I'm sure is even harder for our son,  he knows he has to do his time and that he's competing with grown men.  We asked if he still felt the same about the team/coach/decision even though he isn't playing.  His response was "Yes, I trust coach _______ and I know he's got the teams best interest and when he thinks I'm ready he will let me know."  I have seen so much growth in him.  I obviously would love to see him on the diamond, but knowing he's at peace and in his element working towards his life long dream is an amazing feeling.  Don't kid yourself, he wants to be on the field so bad he can't stand it, but he knows in due time.  Coach cut the travel roster team from 30 to 25 and he even beat out a junior who's competing for his same position.  He loves what being part of the team means, the travel, the meals, the bonding between them win or lose.  We haven't missed but 1 game out of the 12 games they have played so far.  Son asks why we come when we know he's not playing?  We tell him because this is a chapter of his life that we wouldn't want to miss on or off the field.  Explaining that his performance isn't indicative of our support and that he's part of a team and we support "his" team.  Parents of those who don't play college sports don't really understand, or maybe we are weird, but my husband and I just choose to be there knowing he will likely step on the diamond little if any at all.   

Last edited by #1bballmomfan

#BBALLMOMFAN - I completely agree.  Son is 9 hours away.. and redshirt freshman.  We still went to opening weekend.  Now it does mean I will probably adjust the number of weekends we visit because he isn't playing but it's about showing your child that the things that matter to him or even her for that matter, are also important to you.  And being that far away, they may not always say it but they are just as happy to see you as you are to see them!

OK I'm busting at the seams.... Last weekend they played to far for me to travel but good friend of mine made the game.  As I mentioned in the update he was able to bat but flied out.  This weekend however DH made the Friday game and I drove the 4.5 hours for the Saturday game that morning.  Was going to leave before 4th game was over due to the 4.5 hour drive in front of me back home, but decided to stick it out I was there and I'd make the best of it and take him out to dinner so I buckled in for the long haul and  boy am I glad I did.  Son got to bat and not only got to bat he went yard....yes first home game to play and my son hit a homerun.  My husband was watching it via computer since our youngest also plays baseball and he was home with him.  I couldn't believe it.  He ended up going 2-2.  Had to bribe a kid candy and coke after he snagged the ball.    Sons team is now 13-3. 

Attachments

Images (1)
  • DSC_0304: 1st college homerun
Last edited by #1bballmomfan
chefmike7777 posted:

Son first outing yesterday. In fourth threw a pitch 5 feet in front of plate. I knew something was wrong immediately. Coach came right out. Pulled him. MRI next couple of days. It is his elbow. They fear UCL and tommy John surgery. 

He was / is more worried about how I am doing. Ugh!  

Ill let  you all know

So sorry.  Will be praying for good news.

#1bballmomfan posted:

OK I'm busting at the seams.... Last weekend they played to far for me to travel but good friend of mine made the game.  As I mentioned in the update he was able to bat but flied out.  This weekend however DH made the Friday game and I drove the 4.5 hours for the Saturday game that morning.  Was going to leave before 4th game was over due to the 4.5 hour drive in front of me back home, but decided to stick it out I was there and I'd make the best of it and take him out to dinner so I buckled in for the long haul and  boy am I glad I did.  Son got to bat and not only got to bat he went yard....yes first home game to play and my son hit a homerun.  My husband was watching it via computer since our youngest also plays baseball and he was home with him.  I couldn't believe it.  He ended up going 2-2.  Had to bribe a kid candy and coke after he snagged the ball.    Sons team is now 13-3. 

This mini-story brought back memories of my experience (and my father's) a few years back. The long drives, the unknowing of what the weekend would entail for me, the lows of a bad game (or not playing at all... even after my dad drove 8 hours up to Maine !), and of course the times of highlights when everything went right (like your son's homerun).  Congrats on the good game. What conference is he in?

Amazon: Going with the Pitch SE

Author of "Going with the Pitch: Adjusting to Baseball, School and Life as a Division I College Athlete" (Second Edition)

chefmike7777 posted:

Son first outing yesterday. In fourth threw a pitch 5 feet in front of plate. I knew something was wrong immediately. Coach came right out. Pulled him. MRI next couple of days. It is his elbow. They fear UCL and tommy John surgery. 

Ill let  you all know

Oh noooooo. However, he will get a medical waiver and be good to go next spring, which is his draft year.

Go to the Cincinnati Reds doc.

PM coming your way in a bit.

Last edited by TPM

So just returned from my son's 1st college game.  We weren't going as it was 6 hours away, and he's a freshman so we didn't think he'd get in.  He called Friday night and said the coach told him he was giving him a chance at some point this weekend, so we packed up and drove down.  He got 1 inning.  3 k's 12 pitches.  Coach told him he will be getting many more chances. I am so happy for him, and so happy we didn't miss it.

Just returned from son's first college game, with the JV squad.   Interesting experience and an eye opener about how his program works.    My son played quite well.  In nine plate appearances, he got 3 hits, including 2 singles and a triple and walked three times and drove in 2 runs.  Put up some really good AB's.    Hope he keeps it up and maybe works his way off the JV squad.  But you never know -- his team is so stacked with outfielders,  that's a tall order.  Plus the 4 frosh outfielders can all really play.

It turns out that there are only 12 guys on the JV squad -- there were originally 13 but one was academically ineligible.    They  are all freshman position players.  I hadn't realized that there are no dedicated JV pitchers.  All pitchers are on the varsity and the coaches use  JV games to allow a wide variety of pitchers to get work in.  For example, the number 2 starter and the number 3 starter from the varsity -- both have been a bit shaky so far this season -- each started a game of the three game series.  Several freshman relievers got some work in, but so did several upperclassmen.  It seems like the JV games are also used to help determine the varsity pecking order among the pitchers.  

At the same time you get  the distinct impression that the relatively compact JV season functions  sort of as an extended try out for frosh position players  -- there is only one frosh position player on the varsity, and there are no upperclassmen on JV.   The one freshman varsity position player is apparently a real stud.

I wonder if any other schools use their JV squads in quite this combination of ways. 

At first, my son seemed a bit discouraged --  more discouraged than I have ever seen him be  about baseball, even with all the lost time due to injuries,    In fact, all of the JV guys seemed pretty much the  same way.  You can tell that these guys feel intense pressure to prove themselves in their relatively limited opportunities.  They aren't at all sure where they stand. Next year there will be a new crop of frosh and a new crop of transfer to compete against -- 25 committed so far.   And to make matters worse the all know that from last year's JV squad only 2 are on this year's varsity and none repeated JV.   There were 12 or 13 JV  players last year.  7 or 8 of them tried out this year which means  5 or 6  got cut.   Talking to my son's roomies and parents in the stands,  I'm not sure any of the JV players has felt this kind of pressure before.   But still,  they played with great intensity.  It's  evident that are lots of talented  players on the  small JV roster.  Many of them might be on the travel squad in a less competitive, less cut throat environment.  My son described the vibe as "figure it out, kid,  if you can't do the job,  we'll find someone who will."  

But he was  much happier by the end of the weekend than at the beginning of it.  That's for sure.  He seemed almost like his old self, actually.  

chefmike7777 posted:

Ill let  you all know

oh man.   that sucks major league.   Hope he heals well.

Last edited by SluggerDad

9th inning, 2 outs with a 12-0 lead, my freshman son gets to come in for his college debut for the last out. 4 pitch K and the moment is over. Many years waiting to see him on that mound!  Although brief, a great experience that I was fortunate enough to see!  Exciting to see him work towards earning some more innings as the season progresses. 

Sorry to hear about that Chef...  Never easy to have an injury come up.  Hoping for a positive prognosis and comeback!

As for my son, he got his first opportunity to pitch on Saturday.  It has been rough for us (my son and myself) so far this season.  He's a senior and the team had played 9 games before he got his first time on the mound.  He was feeling very discouraged.  And it's not like the other pitchers were doing great...  So, he finally got his opportunity.  Did very well, other than giving up a 3 run HR.  Ugh...  Pitched 3 innings.  1st inning got them out 1-2-3 with a K.  2nd inning, gave up a walk, no hits and one K.  3rd inning, weak GB single up the middle, infield single, pop up to 3rd, then the HR.  He was super pissed...  Coach left him in and he struck the next two guys out and came off the field cursing.  One pitch killed him.  Just hoping the coach will keep some confidence in him and give him some more opportunities.  

Team is doing well.  They are 8-2 on the season and 3-0 in conference play.  They can really hit and have come from behind to win a number of games.  In the game my son pitched in on Saturday, they were down 12-5 in the 7th inning and came back to win 13-12.  Won a game last weekend in which they were down several times during the game and wound up winning 19-18 in 10 innings.  One thing you can say, they never give up.  

Here's to hoping for more opportunities and a good senior year!!  Time really does go by fast...

chefmike7777 posted:

Ill let  you all know

Oh no!

I saw the uncharacteristic stat line and wondered what happened.

Let us know how it goes. We're pulling for him.

bballman posted:

Coach left him in and he struck the next two guys out and came off the field cursing.  One pitch killed him.  Just hoping the coach will keep some confidence in him and give him some more opportunities.  

I love what he did after he gave up the HR and hope that the coach will see and feel the same way.  That's toughness.

Traveled to Florida to finally see some games.  It is one thing to hear about the high level of baseball in top collge leagues down south, quite another to see it.  

The pitching was the best we've seen not on TV.  Fielder's make sick plays laying out, etc.  (Graig Nettles when I was a kid  comparison for me, or Machado of current players).  As a fan, I had to clap for all teams' good plays I saw (there were many).  Of course great fastballs; and sliders & curves that demonstrate where the term 'dropping off the table' came from.

People back home don't realize the talent and competition.   One game (2 really great arms, 0-0 til the 9th) had 40-50 scouts.   There are scouts at practices.  "We are not in Kansas anymore Toto....."   

Glad son is getting some time.  A fight for PT.  Parents very nice and welcoming, good things to say about Son, the pitchers love throwing to him.  He loves his teammates and the coaches and obviously the weather.  Think he will see more action as he continues to prove himself.  A scout called last night to say it is an accomplishment for a northern freshman kid to get on the field in Florida.  

Good luck and success to all.

NYdad2017 posted:
bballman posted:

Coach left him in and he struck the next two guys out and came off the field cursing.  One pitch killed him.  Just hoping the coach will keep some confidence in him and give him some more opportunities.  

I love what he did after he gave up the HR and hope that the coach will see and feel the same way.  That's toughness.

Thanks NYdad...

regional travel team
high school tryouts
WWBAs
college camps
showcases
high school state championship
recruiting videos
recruiting e-mails
phone calls with coaches
SATs
ACTs
college visits
college overnights
college applications
"commitment"
admissions
fall tryouts
unexpected transfers
winter workouts
football players trying out
spring roster

... and now my son plays college baseball. His squad got thumped in a two game series with the D3 defending champs, and son went 0 for 3 in 4 PAs, so that took a little of the shine off, but still a big moment and I was there. Can't wait for the next game.

Ok gang here is where we are for son and his injury. Saw a Doc yesterday who then ordered an MRI in afternoon yesterday. Thanks to Redfishfool, I called the trainer and asked what kind of MRI and asked if it was a contrast MRI. she said no since it was since a recent injury, and it would be uncomfortable and maybe a bit painful for my son. That they would do it if the "regular" MRI did not show enough. I insisted upon a contrast since it would give a more complete picture. She called Doc and it was changed to contrast. 

Met with Orthopedic surgeon doc today (this is school's preferred Doc). He said it was a slight tear, showed us (son, I and trainer) where it was on MRI and recommended rest for 4 weeks and inflammatory, then he would do a follow up MRI and consult. If all checked out then he could start throwing program. I did ask them to send MRI to Kremchek office as a second opinion and that office  will let me know tomorrow if they see / recommend anything differently (I guess WSU coaching staff and Kremchek have a great relationship).

I talked briefly to pitching coach and he said still not sure what they would do with his season as of moment. If it all went perfectly and he was back in 6-7 weeks, it would still be mid to late April and only 4-6 weeks left in season. Not sure they want to burn up a year of eligibility for 1/3 of season. I concur. My son will want to play .  We will see how it goes from here. Next 4 weeks are basically a lot of athletic training therapy for rest of body, rest for arm, and waiting.

Of course, that all depends on 2nd opinion.

Thanks for all your support and guidance. Love this community!

chefmike7777 posted:

Ok gang here is where we are for son and his injury. Saw a Doc yesterday who then ordered an MRI in afternoon yesterday. Thanks to Redfishfool, I called the trainer and asked what kind of MRI and asked if it was a contrast MRI. she said no since it was since a recent injury, and it would be uncomfortable and maybe a bit painful for my son. That they would do it if the "regular" MRI did not show enough. I insisted upon a contrast since it would give a more complete picture. She called Doc and it was changed to contrast. 

Met with Orthopedic surgeon doc today (this is school's preferred Doc). He said it was a slight tear, showed us (son, I and trainer) where it was on MRI and recommended rest for 4 weeks and inflammatory, then he would do a follow up MRI and consult. If all checked out then he could start throwing program. I did ask them to send MRI to Kremchek office as a second opinion and that office  will let me know tomorrow if they see / recommend anything differently (I guess WSU coaching staff and Kremchek have a great relationship).

I talked briefly to pitching coach and he said still not sure what they would do with his season as of moment. If it all went perfectly and he was back in 6-7 weeks, it would still be mid to late April and only 4-6 weeks left in season. Not sure they want to burn up a year of eligibility for 1/3 of season. I concur. My son will want to play .  We will see how it goes from here. Next 4 weeks are basically a lot of athletic training therapy for rest of body, rest for arm, and waiting.

While some folks make negative comments about our site and members, RFF giving you that advice shows how valuable this site really is.

Sent you a pm.

Will be hoping for the best for your son, Chef.  

Second opinion right away is a very good move.  Son lost over four months (and, thus, a whole season) due to a mis-diagnosis and subsequent wrong treatment that likely would have been avoided had we taken that extra step with his scapholunate ligament tear his first college fall.  

I'm with you on the 4-6 week thing but no need to think that far ahead just yet.  

Thanks all.  More news to point about 2nd opinion. Head coach called really concerned. Said as he delved further into it. Throwing program would be 6-8 weeks after 4 weeks rest. So mid to late May at best. Felt like we should definitely do more than just send down MRI. As he felt team doc is ultra conservative. Said he called 4 MLBers he know plus 5 other HC to see their experience with partial tear.  No one had ever not had surgery. Even if they waited and rehabbed then it tore again. If that were to happen he would lose both this year and next. So with that HC told son he was done for year. I made spot with Kremchek Monday. If he says no surgery then ok  but we will see. 

Son was heart broke but tried to be tough. Worked until Momma hugged him. He was all excited that 6-7 weeks he would be back on mound. Now done and probable surgery or at least long rehab. My heart is breaking for him. 

TPM posted:
chefmike7777 posted:

While some folks make negative comments about our site and members, RFF giving you that advice shows how valuable this site really is.

Sent you a pm.

Chef, good luck w son.  Resources are phenomenal on this site!  Keep us posted, simply knowing questions to ask can be tremendous.

2017LHPscrewball posted:

Best of luck with whatever path is chosen.  Was looking forward to following him this season but will simply wait for his return next season.

thanks, one of the nice things for the team is there is pitching depth. Jeremy was considered an important cog for sure but they do have depth. AS a bummer as this is, I am excited about following the team this year. They have high hopes and expectations

Hi All - this past weekend we went to watch one of my sons HS teammates in his first college start.  

Last year when my son got called up to varsity as a freshman, I'd chuckle almost every night picking him up from practice and my son saying.... the Senior pitchers cellophaned my wallet and phone together AGAIN at practice today.  The pitchers were good to him - but he was also an easy target as a freshman.

Pretty awesome day - sell out crowd on Saturday @ UGA and really amazed how he responded.  5 shutout innings, 7 Ks, 1 BB, 1 questionable hit, and left with a 3-0 lead.  

Fun day for us getting to a college baseball environment, and just glad we were able to be there to support him, and his family, in his 1st college start!

Best of luck, and health, to all this spring!

Shoveit4Ks posted:

Son got in Saturday night for last out of the game. Was a bit nervous, gave up a hit on tough chopper fielded up 3b line and low throw to 1st but settled in a struck out next guy looking. 93-95 and hammer was working in first college appearance. Pretty exciting stuff.

Thoughts and prayers out to Chef on the MRI.

Was good to hear him get in and listen. I know he'll have many more just like it.

Son will head to Fla. next weekend for the final time in his college career. Team will play their first game on Mon. 3/7. Looking for big things out of this years team as they return all 8 position starters, 6 of whom hit over .333 last year, along with a very good pitching staff. Son has been fortunate to have been a starter & letterman his entire career. Have to reiterate what has been said many times on this site, enjoy the ride 'cause it's over before you know it. GOOD LUCK to all & stay injury free!

Today was something of a landmark.   It was the first game since son's freshman year in HS, when we sent him on a trip with his travel team that neither of us could make,   that neither my wife nor I was there to witness.   Strange feeling.  I suppose there will be more of those games in the future.  

At least from his postgame  report sounds like he played well again, went 1 for 3 and got an outfield assist.

Get to see him in action again next week. 

Sounds like he's a little miffed at the way they use the JV team, though.  Today, they brought down three varsity bench guys -- including two outfielders -- and gave them significant number of AB's in todays DH,  thereby diminishing the AB's of the JV players. 

Chefmike7777

Sorry to hear about your son. Prayers go out to your son and your family.

Our freshman son has been called upon 3 times out of the bullpen over the past two weekends. He has thrown well. Just recently, on Friday night, he went out for the 9th and got three strike outs swinging.  He has thrown 2.2 innings. Looking forward to a fun year.

That's awesome Hunter.  

Got final news about son. Tommy John surgery with Dr Kremchek this Friday. Said original MRI was "terrible". Did X-ray, ultrasound, and a contrast MRI with fluid. Showed a significant tear across the middle of muscle. Holding on a one end by a couple threads. 

The difference in the whole process of diagnosis was like mid day at the equator on the longest day of year vs midnight in anartica on shortest day of year. 

He is ok with outcome. He has been saying surgery since it happened. 

More to come but will move it out of this topic. This topic is about boys on the field. Looking forward to all the upcoming updates

Speaking of that bonding the other downside of Surgey this Friday vs later. I was set to drive him 7 hours to North Carolina after appointment today to be with his team for rest of his teams spring break week trip. I was just going to sleep night and come back but was REALLY looking forward to that 7 hour trip today just to hang out and shot the breeze with him.

Our relationship has grown so much since he was off to college and I stopped giving him the vibe that I was interested in him the athlete and was interested in him as my son. Would have been a fun 7 hours.

As an over worried and therefore to involved for dad. Make sure you tell your kids you love them. Not who they are or who you are trying to get them to be. 

Clemson Tigers had their first annual meeting with state rival South Carolina last night.  The Tigers made some mistakes which cost them dearly, but overall, I think that they did pretty well against a guy throwing mid 90's and a ranked team, as well as considering that the Tigers did not have one senior in their line up.

Very interesting to note that the SC pitcher last night Clarke Schmidt, is the brother of the Tigers pitcher, Clate Schmidt who will start the game this afternoon in Greenville (neutral)  for the Tigers.

Imagine being the parents of those boys!  

FWIW, Tiger starting pitcher Clate Schmidt battled and beat lymphoma last season. You always hear about stories of players never giving up, this one surely is a great story.  

That's why it is so very important to enjoy one game at a time and there will be good games as well as bad ones for your players as well as for their teams.  It comes with the territory. 

So stop getting stressed over the silly stuff and enjoy the ride!!!

That is a great story about Clate Schmidt. My girl friend works the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society and I shared this note with her. This is how great stories spread! Congrats to the family. (Now I just want the warm weather to come north so we too can start enjoying baseball!)

_____

Amazon: Going with the Pitch SE

Author of "Going with the Pitch: Adjusting to Baseball, School and Life as a Division I College Athlete" (Second Edition)

TPM posted:

Clemson Tigers had their first annual meeting with state rival South Carolina last night.  The Tigers made some mistakes which cost them dearly, but overall, I think that they did pretty well against a guy throwing mid 90's and a ranked team, as well as considering that the Tigers did not have one senior in their line up.

Freshman Ryley Gilliam gets a mention from Aaron Fitt after a good weekend for Clemson.

https://twitter.com/aaronfitt/...s/706612033366536193

I had the opportunity to take my family to watch Clemson play opening weekend and sat around a lot of the parents. There were a couple freshman that played on the Saturday game and could only imagine how proud their parents must have felt. 

All the parents actually.  What  great moments. Also got the opportunity to talk to a parent from Maine.

Congrats to all your kids AND to the parents. Lots of time and commitment. Nothing like seeing your child succeed in their dreams.

At my sons game on Saturday, son's housemate, a little if any used backup catcher got a chance to pinch hit late in the game.  First pitch, he drives it out over the left center field fence for a two run homer.

It's another of those stories of a great kid, hard worker, who had a great HS career that got stuck behind more talented players. This kid never gripes, shows up every and day does his job.  He will graduate this spring and already has multiple job offers.  He got mobbed on the way to the dugout. It was a great day for him.

i was fortunate to be behind the backstop, got my phone out and got it all on video. His parents weren't coming for the Saturday game, I don't know who I was happier for the kid or the dad. Dad told me he got tears in his eyes watching his boy cross the plate and get all of the high fives and helmet bumps.. 

Afterwards we took my son and the kid out to dinner, I bet he still has a smile on his face.. I still do!

mmm1531 posted:

At my sons game on Saturday, son's housemate, a little if any used backup catcher got a chance to pinch hit late in the game.  First pitch, he drives it out over the left center field fence for a two run homer.

It's another of those stories of a great kid, hard worker, who had a great HS career that got stuck behind more talented players. This kid never gripes, shows up every and day does his job.  He will graduate this spring and already has multiple job offers.  He got mobbed on the way to the dugout. It was a great day for him.

i was fortunate to be behind the backstop, got my phone out and got it all on video. His parents weren't coming for the Saturday game, I don't know who I was happier for the kid or the dad. Dad told me he got tears in his eyes watching his boy cross the plate and get all of the high fives and helmet bumps.. 

Afterwards we took my son and the kid out to dinner, I bet he still has a smile on his face.. I still do!

Great story, and evidence of character, patience, work ethic & team by this kid.  

Every employer wanted this kid before, & now he's got a great story to tell.

Good luck to him & your son this season.  Awesome share....

SoxIn7 posted:

I had the opportunity to take my family to watch Clemson play opening weekend and sat around a lot of the parents. There were a couple freshman that played on the Saturday game and could only imagine how proud their parents must have felt. 

All the parents actually.  What  great moments. Also got the opportunity to talk to a parent from Maine.

Congrats to all your kids AND to the parents. Lots of time and commitment. Nothing like seeing your child succeed in their dreams.

That's awesome! I hope that you get a chance to go watch another game at Clemsom.  

After a rough start to the season, the JuCo team my son is a volunteer (student assistant) coach for has hit a hot streak.  They've won their last 6 games. The last four they've averaged 16 runs while only allowing 10 runs total (2.5 runs per game).  They've won 7 of their last 8.  They were 5-8 in the first 13 games and are now 12-9.  Swept the first two games of a 4 game (non-conference) series 17-0 and 10-1 today.  Their ace pitcher pitched his second no-no of the season in the first game.

The  kid is on needles and pins.   JV season has ended.  Varsity is on Spring Break trip. After their last JV game, the JV players were finally told what the plan for them is.   They  will be either called up to Varsity or given a handshake and told to come back next year.   They made it clear that only a few are likely to be called up, based. largely, on what the Varsity needs.  JV season was sort of an extended try-out, in effect. 

The kid did well in the limited JV season. He  hit .350, with .533 slg and .444 obp and played very solid defense.  But the varsity OF is SO crowded with upperclassmen and all but one can really play, according to him and also from what I myself have seen, that seems right.    Plus if only one  JV OF'er is called up, it  will almost certainly be another kid, he believes, who  flat out hammers the ball consistently.  (probably lower BA and obp, but awesome power numbers)  

I'm trying to encourage him to keep his chin up and keep working, no matter what happens from here on out this year.   But it is really hard on him.  I think the main thing is that  the  JV guys didn't know until right after the last game that they would be disbanded as a unit and either called up or shut down for the rest of the season. 

Frankly, from this distance,  it does seem like a pretty cold way to treat them.  I know my guy is finding it really hard to deal with.  He is somewhat disenchanted with the school's approach to younger guys. Only one frosh pitcher and one frosh position player are getting serious Varsity PT.  The rest are on JV, though JV pitchers are double listed as JV and Varsity -- which seems to mean they suit up for Varsity home games, just in case they are needed but don't travel -- though I don't think a single one of the double listed pitchers has gotten a single varsity inning. 

None of this was  fully spelt out to him or to any of the other guys, it seem.  

I actually don't think I've ever seen him this discouraged about baseball  - even with all the injuries and setbacks he suffered in HS.    The upside is that he  hasn't loss his self-belief and he has worked  his butt off from day 1 since setting foot on campus  (and even before).    Nor has it changed his basic personality.  He's the  do  what you can do,  keep working to try to get better, don't complain type.  And he hasn't lost his self belief.  He knows what he is capable of. He believes that he can be a solid and consistent offensive contributor and an outstanding defender.    What he has lost is the confidence that he will be given a chance to really show what he can do. 

I'm trying to keep his chin up, trying to get him to appreciate that waiting isn't  always a bad thing.  Good things can come to he who is willing to wait for his moment and seize it when it comes.  

The most promising thing to me is that by the time his cohort becomes juniors, there will be only one senior OF ahead of them  (the only sophomore OF currently on the varsity, who is himself getting almost no PT.)  Plus he is clearly the best defender and one of the two best  hitters in his OF class.  So I do believe that his day will come, maybe not this year,  and maybe not even next year, when there will be  6  senior OF'ers still in the program.  But eventually.  

Hard getting him to fully embrace that thought and trust that the coaches really see and appreciate his talent and his work, though.   He feels like the program is so focused on winning now and brings in so many guys every year -- both freshmen and transfer -- that they aren't really concerned with development.   Help us now, or be thrown aside, because we can always find somebody who can help us now.  At least that's how it feels to him. 

Brutal stuff, but  the way of the much of the world. 

Last edited by SluggerDad

Hey everyone, hope all is well and the season is going great.  Proud dad moment today.  Son got his first start.....he's thrown in relief 4 times....2 went great, 1 he got hit pretty hard and another just so-so.  Today was different   4.0 IP (had a pitch count), 2 hits, no runs.  Out-dueled a 2015 17th round draft pick and his team took home a 4-0 win.  Didn't get to make it, but did see it on streaming video.  Hopefully this may earn him the weekday starter spot....I guess we'll find out next week!   Had a great time here over the years....will have to do some catching up as to how all of your sons are doing this season.   Have a great spring everyone!!!

2nd win yesterday.  Only threw 3 as it was a game against a local D2. They had decided that he was only going to throw 50 pitches so he could be available for he weekend.  Found out that there is an NCAA rule (I assume designed for the Northern kids and crap weather) that the starter can get the win without throwing 5 innings if he was on a preset pitch count and leaves with the lead.  He wasn't so concerned with the win, just happy to be throwing well.  He was a SS/P in HS, so up until the last week (2 starts), getting warmed up and ready to pitch was an issue.  It's unreal how much different he looked yesterday after getting his "traditional" starter warm up routine in.  Looks like a completely different pitcher than when he was relieving a few weeks ago.  Weekday game next Wednesday against a Power 5.....he's hoping he's earned the start in that one.  I guess we'll see.

Last edited by Buckeye 2015
Hunter10 posted:

Freshman got to go in relief in the 5th inning vs. Clemson last night at Fluor Field. Wow, That was fun. It was a great game, though we lost 9-7. We gave Clemson a challenge. It sure was fun watching him pitch in that atmosphere. #Blessed

OMG, son is student p-coach at Clemson. Taylor Harbin his former teammate, listened to the game last night.

Go Tigers!

MMM1531 - that's just awesome.

Son sent an exciting text this afternoon.  He's a student assistant (volunteer coach) for the JuCo he once played for.  The team swept a regional doubleheader over last years region champs 4-0 (9 innings) and 14-4 (5 innings).  Both starting pitchers went the distance.  The series concludes with a single 9 inning game tomorrow.  Said they are going for the sweep and since the entire bullpen is available they won't hesitate to change pitchers if the starter gets in trouble.  Back when my son played for this JuCo, they only managed to win once each year against this regional rival.

He did say the opposing catcher hit one bomb in game 2.  The ball cleared the LF lights, hit in the middle of the street that goes behind LF.  They found the ball in a yard across the street.  They estimated it was a 450'+ bomb..........

Well, eventually it had to happen I guess.  Every pitcher has "that day"...and today was my son's.  He's thrown really well so far this spring...ERA 2.66 going in to today....only 1 run the last 4 apprearances....over 11 innings.     

Came in today to start the 7th in a 1-1 game....opponents had 1 hit at the time.   10 minutes later.....6 runs, 6 hits and only one out...and his day was done.   4 blooper singles (2 within 6 inches of being foul) a double that was fair by about a foot, took a crazy bounce to the right and ended up against the fence in foul territory down the RF line....and a grounder up the middle when the infield was in.   He only threw 4 balls out of the 7 batters he faced....just seemed like they stuck the bats out and balls blooped to places you just couldn't get to if you had 12 outfielders.  Surprisingly he took it pretty well.  After the game he said "what could I do....they just stuck their bats out".   As they say.....That's baseball 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.