Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

It'll be a little different for us this year.  The D2 university son was at did not renew his scholarship (his grades slipped) so he decided to go back to the junior college and get his AA (he was a few credits shy when he transferred to the 4 year university) before he goes on to different university (that's the plan anyway).  So officially he hung up his cleats, but he's listed as a "student assistant" (volunteer coach) for the JuCo.

It won't quite be the same, but I'm glad he's keeping his hand in the sport he loves.

I should add the D2 university coach still wanted him, but couldn't offer any money.

Last edited by FoxDad

Not to throw a wet rag on this conversation. This will unfortunately be the first spring I will not get to watch my son play baseball since he was 5. He was recovering from ulnar nerve transposition surgery this past September. Everything was going well until last Monday. He threw his first bullpen from the mound and felt a pop. A MRI confirmed out worst fears, torn UCL. I am sitting in his apartment waiting for tomorrow when the TJ surgery is scheduled. 

I wish all of your sons a healthy spring. Never take a single inning for granted. You never know when it will be over. We are hoping for the best, but I'm never again going to take anything for granted.  The next 12 months will likely be the longest of my life.

Son is in good spirits, all things considered. He was pretty upset for the first couple of days. After a couple conversations with his head coach and surgeon he completely changed his attitude and realized that everything happens for a reason. He said he is just ready to get the surgery over with and get to work on the rehab.  

younggun posted:

Not to throw a wet rag on this conversation. This will unfortunately be the first spring I will not get to watch my son play baseball since he was 5. He was recovering from ulnar nerve transposition surgery this past September. Everything was going well until last Monday. He threw his first bullpen from the mound and felt a pop. A MRI confirmed out worst fears, torn UCL. I am sitting in his apartment waiting for tomorrow when the TJ surgery is scheduled. 

I wish all of your sons a healthy spring. Never take a single inning for granted. You never know when it will be over. We are hoping for the best, but I'm never again going to take anything for granted.  The next 12 months will likely be the longest of my life.

Son is in good spirits, all things considered. He was pretty upset for the first couple of days. After a couple conversations with his head coach and surgeon he completely changed his attitude and realized that everything happens for a reason. He said he is just ready to get the surgery over with and get to work on the rehab.  

That's a bummer.  I really wish your son luck with this.

Good luck tomorrow and Merry Christmas!

younggun posted:

Sorry YG! All the best to you and YG Jr. Injuries suck! Continue to encourage him, reflect on the journey and hope for the future. Prayers your way!

FoxDad posted:

It'll be a little different for us this year.  The D2 university son was at did not renew his scholarship (his grades slipped) so he decided to go back to the junior college and get his AA (he was a few credits shy when he transferred to the 4 year university) before he goes on to different university (that's the plan anyway).  So officially he hung up his cleats, but he's listed as a "student assistant" (volunteer coach) for the JuCo.

It won't quite be the same, but I'm glad he's keeping his hand in the sport he loves.

I should add the D2 university coach still wanted him, but couldn't offer any money.

Fox, sorry to hear about the re-route.  Really great that he is able to jump right in to the coaching gig, though.  Keep us in the loop with how that goes.  That will provide him with a whole new set of baseball challenges! 

younggun posted:

Not to throw a wet rag on this conversation...

YG so sorry to hear about that.  I feel your pain.  We'll all be pulling for a successful process and rehab for him. 

It is good to hear that HC has been involved. 

FWIW, when cabbage lost his first college year to surgery, it was a big hurdle to get past the actual procedure.  That seemed to trigger a more tangible countdown to recovery.  Still, the wait between procedure and first date of therapy was a particularly tough period.  Another player who recently had a similar experience found that detailed planning of good reads, career research and other things he COULD do helped considerably.

Last edited by cabbagedad

As a parent of a freshman this year, the Spring 2016 season brings on a lot of excitement as well as the unknown.   Moving from a High School & Travel Ball veteran parent to being a "newbie" again!  Trying to meet upperclass parents who already know everybody, understanding the little nuances of attending games like where are you supposed to park, what to bring, do we get to see the players after games on the road, etc.  But the excitement of seeing our son work to earn a spot on the field at this next level is very exciting!  65 Days until Opening Day!

Sorry to read that younggun - hopefully your son can come back.  Hard to go cold turkey though!  My oldest did the transposition when he was like 14 or 15 and was able to throw/pitch again in HS. While recovering he helped coach my youngest son's minor division team... Funny to seem him throw BP with the other arm...  When my youngest was 14 or 15 he had the decompression surgery...  Now he's on the shelf again after having labrum repair surgery this past September (90% tear, anterior).  He just "threw" for the first time the other day... Well really not throw - more like elbow on glove and flick the ball using just the forearm - 25 times at 25 feet.  Only another 30-40 weeks of rehab.

wow, I hate to hear about the injuries and other reasons players aren't going to be on the field this spring. Just last night a neighbor, former HS teammate of my son and a D2 conference foe, was in the basement. He just got the sling off from a shoulder labrum tear and is already out for the season.

Younggun the best of luck to your son, Foxdad I was hoping to see your son play at next years regional, the best to him in his travels down the coaching road.

Sons team is only 45 days to the opener.

After a 2015 run to the D2 world Series and end of season ranking of #4 its hard to expect to top that. The team lost some key players due to graduation. But after watching some fall scrimmages I don't see much of a drop off in talent. They may have gotten stronger with the addition of some transfers.   7 of the top 8 pitchers return and a redshirt that was one of the top 4 pitchers from two seasons ago returns healthy. 

my son will be a RS-Jr this year, he will be graduating with a biology degree this spring. I am not sure the exact direction he is going with that, his intent is to go into the medical field. If he returns for a 5th year he will also get a sports medicine degree before hitting the post graduate grind.  Last year was his first year as a starter, he was the closer the previous year. Except for a mid season bout with the flu that kicked his butt for a couple weeks he had a pretty good season.

The best of luck to all for the upcoming season. May all of the players stay healthy and the parents get to attend every game!

younggun posted:

I am so sorry to hear that Young Gun!  Fingers Crossed for a speedy recovery!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.