Skip to main content

Picked Off posted:

#1BBALLMOMFAN

I remember it well, very emotional once that day arrives. All the hard work and now your sitting there watching him standing in line for the national anthem.

Good luck, enjoy the moment! 

Gee, can't seem to pick him out from the crowd.  Haha.  Happy Holidays to you and your family!  I hear the boys think we broke up.  Looking forward to February.  Tell your son to stay at the other end of the line.  I got cabbage some lifts for Christmas but I'm thinking it won't help much.

Last edited by cabbagedad
#1bballmomfan posted:

Its about to get real......1 month from today is sonnyboy's first collegiate game.  Not sure how much playing time he will get if any being a freshman..... but excited none the less.  Can't wait to cheer on the team whether he is on the bench or the field. 

Yup, five weeks for junior.  After a very busy fall, he was glad to come home for some rest and doing a whole lot of nothing over Christmas break.  I think that lasted about three hours...  

He has played football, basketball, several trips to airport to pick up other friends home from school, "friend gatherings" almost every night, helped a few times with my HS squad, daily workout prescribed by school, hit in the cage almost daily, ugly Xmas sweater parties, traveled in several directions to see family for Holidays, selling stuff on ebay to earn money for summer ball and most recently, a bunch of the guys decided to go shoot shotguns (and other assorted firearms).  

I have a family heirloom shotgun that was his great grandfather's.   His name was Carl and he was a machinist so his name was engraved on the shotgun.  I reluctantly let son take it out.  It hadn't seen the light of day for over ten years and that was only briefly to scare away the first boy wanting to date my daughter. By the end of the day, the boys had a favorite gun of choice.  Carl. 

At least he didn't go snowboarding this year.  Yet.  His mother wishes he was a bit more of a bubble wrap kid. 

Best wishes to your son, #1bballmomfan and everyone else looking forward to opening day!

Last edited by cabbagedad

Son has thoroughly taken full advantage of just being home for the holidays and relaxing.  We went to our deer lease for a few days then he followed that up with eating, sleeping, working out, spending time with his siblings playing xbox and playing cards, little more xbox, hitting the cages and fields several times a week....eats more and just being a carefree college student .  LOL Love having him home.  I know he's anxious to get back and get into some dirt though. Seems just like yesterday when he picked that big barrel bat up for the first time, when the glove was the size of a cooking mit and his pants swallowed him up to now being so grown up.  Some of the best years of our lives as parents watching him navigate and learn about life and it's ups and downs....and it seems to only be getting better. College has agreed with him so far and that makes a mamma's heart happy.  Baseball has just  been the icing on the cake for him.  I'm gearing up and getting ready for a new chapter and watching some college baseball.  Can't imagine it should feel differently sitting in that stand as any other, but somehow I imagine it does. 

Last edited by #1bballmomfan
fenwaysouth posted:

Enjoy it as much as you can.  It will be a very memorable event especially for the new starters and freshmen.  For my son's first appearance, we took lots of pictures but I really wish we had taken some video in addition.   Good luck!

Took care of that...hubs bought me a new zoom lens for the good old camera.  Best present in the world to me so that I can capture those once in a lifetime moments and videos.  Now if I can just figure it out before the first game.  So many settings and functions.  ANY PHOTO EXPERTS out there willing to give advice????

I am! send me a PM with your questions. Or start a new thread and we can give everyone on the board some photo advice. I worked for newspapers for 25 years and now have my own photography business. Photograph many of my son's games (2017RHP) but also try to enjoy the games and pick one time to take photos and other times just to watch and be a mom. Lighting, composition and speed are what you need to work out to get the sharpest, well-composed photos. And think about multiple photos that tell a story.

Loving this thread, as our son navigates the college recruitment landscape this year, it's exciting to read about your sons in college.

Many thanks & Happy New Year!

#1bballmomfan posted:

Son has thoroughly taken full advantage of just being home for the holidays and relaxing.  We went to our deer lease for a few days then he followed that up with eating, sleeping, working out, spending time with his siblings playing xbox and playing cards, little more xbox, hitting the cages and fields several times a week....eats more and just being a carefree college student .  LOL Love having him home.  I know he's anxious to get back and get into some dirt though. Seems just like yesterday when he picked that big barrel bat up for the first time, when the glove was the size of a cooking mit and his pants swallowed him up to now being so grown up.  Some of the best years of our lives as parents watching him navigate and learn about life and it's ups and downs....and it seems to only be getting better. College has agreed with him so far and that makes a mamma's heart happy.  Baseball has just  been the icing on the cake for him.  I'm gearing up and getting ready for a new chapter and watching some college baseball.  Can't imagine it should feel differently sitting in that stand as any other, but somehow I imagine it does. 

I see that you live in Texas and so does Redfishfool.   He is always talking about going to the deer lease!

Players report in 4 days. They were just told  to make sure to bring sleeping bags with them so that they can camp out in the gym for three nights and four days.  They begin the campaign by eating, sleeping, learning the system, working out and practicing together for the first few  days back before school starts. Now that's taking the idea of training camp pretty literally. 

School and official practice starts today. He has been there since December 27th, though being close he did pop in often to the homestead. As far as I can tell most everyone who was not in dorm was back about a week ago. I know I have 15 different players at my house since then to feed off and on .

Grocery budget took a good whacking in last week

39 days 2 hours 47 minutes until first pitch

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.