Skip to main content

Located in Fort Worth. My son is a 6'2" Lefty Freshman, plays 1st, and occasionally pitches along with right field when needed. His HS had tryouts to join the baseball program/class when school started and he made the first cut and was in the program from August until about a week ago. He was 1 of 11 freshman to make the class, and the coach was only looking for 9 for the team. He did not make the second cut. He is heartbroken. I'm sure the shock will wear off soon, but he's pretty much devestated.

He had a meeting with his coache and was basically told he barely missed it, he just needs to improve over all. With pitching, pitch faster, hit the spots more, etc. With hitting, he only had an issue with his stance and hands, but was happy with his contact and strength. But had no qualms with his 1st base playing or ability. Told him he was athletic and explosive. Encouraged him to work on it all and try out next year.

He plays for both a 15U select team and his league team as a Senior in the summer after high school ball ends here.

If my son had it his way, he'd just play 1st. But anytime someone sees him, they want him to pitch and we are aware of this. So he takes lessons with a pitching coach as well as a fielding/hitting coach privately. We are very happy with the results and will continue to do this.

My question is this:

He is INCREDIBLY concerned that he is missing "time." All of the kids the coach chose are practicing 2 and a half hours every single day, and playing just shy of 30 games this season. My son is taking a few lessons a week, in a cage.

He needs to make himself undeniable next year, he has to exceed what this current players are doing.

It seems around here, everything waits until summer at this age. I get why, but what for the kids in my son's position? There is nothing like playing with a team.

Sure, we've got a packed summer, but I'm sure these kids who made it do too. Most of them are also on travel teams. I'm looking for something NOW.

Does anyone know of any programs or leagues that takes place now during the spring, like while HS ball is going on in the Fort Worth area-ish.

My son wants to join an adult rec league 🤣 I told him they won't allow anyone under 18, but just to give you an idea of how badly he wants to get on the field, he wants me to forge his birth certificate 😂 (joking of course)

Any input would be appreciated!

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Your actual question is so specific to 15U in Fort Worth, maybe someone here can help with that part.  A tall and left-handed kid will always be pushed towards the mound.   He will make that team if the coach felt he could use him in middle relief perhaps.  I would get him with a pitching coach this spring along with his work on hitting.  If he is a right-handed hitter you failed him like I failed my son.   My advice is to work with a pitching coach.   Of course, you will get a lot of advice to work on strength (bigger, faster, stronger) and that is 100% correct too.  Good luck.

Your actual question is so specific to 15U in Fort Worth, maybe someone here can help with that part.  A tall and left-handed kid will always be pushed towards the mound.   He will make that team if the coach felt he could use him in middle relief perhaps.  I would get him with a pitching coach this spring along with his work on hitting.  If he is a right-handed hitter you failed him like I failed my son.   My advice is to work with a pitching coach.   Of course, you will get a lot of advice to work on strength (bigger, faster, stronger) and that is 100% correct too.  Good luck.

Yes, he's definitely pushed towards the mound! He is working with a pitching coach, has for about a year or so. He likes pitching, but his hearts at 1st base. Were definitely working as much as we can. He also bats lefty 👍🏻 Thanks for your input!

Yes, he's definitely pushed towards the mound! He is working with a pitching coach, has for about a year or so. He likes pitching, but his hearts at 1st base. Were definitely working as much as we can. He also bats lefty 👍🏻 Thanks for your input!

My son always had that 1B first mentality and all his coaches wanted him to pitch (he is left-handed).  He really was a great 1B.  Great fielder, always in the right spot, hit for power and average (from the right side...arrrg), always in the 3-4-5 hole for HS and travel teams.   If your end goal is college ball (I know your son is just 15) getting that 1B slot will be hard.  There are some very big boys that get that spot or middle infielders are put at 1B.   It's too early to think college for you but down the line just know that is a tough pull while everyone wants lefty pitching.  You are not ignoring pitching so you are on the right path.  For the next 3-4 years though he could be that middle of the lineup 1B and who knows maybe he ends up being that big boy 1B who gets that look.

Lots of-places have 2nd chance programs. They play on weekends. I am in Houston bo Porter FASA has a program and they focus on developing but it’s a drive they practice 3 time a week. Kids from Austin comes so they commute to get better. If you don’t want to drive focus heavy on lessons. If he can get into a 14 u team with PG you can play on a 14 u team it’s “grade” not age so why not! Tons of 16 year play on 14 it’s like normal. Most don’t reclass they just play on a 14u competitive  team.  That will get you to play 3 weekends a month. With practice too. Good luck to your kiddo I have a LHP he’s super young in 9th grade.  He made the team and everyone in 8th is turning or already turn 16. He will finish 9th and still be 14. So just find a 14u team and play hard.

@NY posted:

Lots of-places have 2nd chance programs. They play on weekends. I am in Houston bo Porter FASA has a program and they focus on developing but it’s a drive they practice 3 time a week. Kids from Austin comes so they commute to get better. If you don’t want to drive focus heavy on lessons. If he can get into a 14 u team with PG you can play on a 14 u team it’s “grade” not age so why not! Tons of 16 year play on 14 it’s like normal. Most don’t reclass they just play on a 14u competitive  team.  That will get you to play 3 weekends a month. With practice too. Good luck to your kiddo I have a LHP he’s super young in 9th grade.  He made the team and everyone in 8th is turning or already turn 16. He will finish 9th and still be 14. So just find a 14u team and play hard.

I'm sorry, but I'm so confused on the ages you mention... PG has a April/May cut-off date. If his 2025 kid was born prior to May then he will have to play at least in the 15's.  Then most tournaments that I know actually group 15s with 16s. Granted if his kid is born May/June/July/Aug then playing down with 14u is an option as many of these kids are 8th graders, but I've never seen held back 16 year old kids being allowed to play in a 14yr old tournament? 

Maybe I just read it wrong???

I'm sorry, but I'm so confused on the ages you mention... PG has a April/May cut-off date. If his 2025 kid was born prior to May then he will have to play at least in the 15's.  Then most tournaments that I know actually group 15s with 16s. Granted if his kid is born May/June/July/Aug then playing down with 14u is an option as many of these kids are 8th graders, but I've never seen held back 16 year old kids being allowed to play in a 14yr old tournament?

Maybe I just read it wrong???

No you read it correctly! So here in Houston PG is played by “grade” Age is not the determining factor! When we played 14u the kids was already 15 in age but in 8th grade!

Nearly everyone “reclassified” they repeat 8th grade and start K at 6 (for athletic cheating) they are 2 years or at least a year and lots of months older! Ex: in my son freshman team he’s 14 age wise - but everyone is already either 15 or turning 16 soon!

I’ve know a few dishonest parents if the kid didn’t make the 9th grade HS team they just join a 14u team and play the season with the 14u team. Then summers they play 15/16!
look up any 2025 from a Houston team and you will see they are all 15 some nearly 16 and few is already 16.

The 2026 class is already 14 some now turn 15 years when they should be “age” 13! Reclassification so PG now plays by “grade” which is not verified! So the cycle continues….. by HS graduation they are 19!

Reclassification is “BIG” here in Houston.

Last edited by NY
@NY posted:

No you read it correctly! So here in Houston PG is played by “grade” Age is not the determining factor! When we played 14u the kids was already 15 in age but in 8th grade!

Nearly everyone “reclassified” they repeat 8th grade and start K at 6 (for athletic cheating) they are 2 years or at least a year and lots of months older! Ex: in my son freshman team he’s 14 age wise - but everyone is already either 15 or turning 16 soon!

I’ve know a few dishonest parents if the kid didn’t make the 9th grade HS team they just join a 14u team and play the season with the 14u team. Then summers they play 15/16!
look up any 2025 from a Houston team and you will see they are all 15 some nearly 16 and few is already 16.

The 2026 class is already 14 some now turn 15 years when they should be “age” 13! Reclassification so PG now plays by “grade” which is not verified! So the cycle continues….. by HS graduation they are 19!

Reclassification is “BIG” here in Houston.

I understand re-classing, it happens on the east coast as well. I also understand cheating/sand-bagging, it too also happens on the east coast as well. My confusion refers to PG's actual rules. I can look up any PG tourney online through perfectgame.org and it clearly states for current 14u baseball:

"2026 Graduate or younger OR born on or after May 01, 2007"

Basically if my 25 was born in May/June/July he could play down with 26's. However if my 25 was born in Jan/Feb/March, even if I re-classed him he could not play with 26's because his birthday is before May 1st of 2007. Whether or not it is enforced is a different issue.

As for the original poster, getting some games at 14u may be an option for your kid if he has a May/June/July Birthday....

I understand re-classing, it happens on the east coast as well. I also understand cheating/sand-bagging, it too also happens on the east coast as well. My confusion refers to PG's actual rules. I can look up any PG tourney online through perfectgame.org and it clearly states for current 14u baseball:

Basically if my 25 was born in May/June/July he could play down with 26's. However if my 25 was born in Jan/Feb/March, even if I re-classed him he could not play with 26's because his birthday is before May 1st of 2007. Whether or not it is enforced is a different issue.

As for the original poster, getting some games at 14u may be an option for your kid if he has a May/June/July Birthday....

Guess it’s not enforced here! I see it a lot it feels so “normal”!

@NY @ReluctantO'sFan

My son was born September '06, so he definitely wouldn't qualify to play for 14U.  His league coach will let him practice and scrimmage with his 14U team if we can't find anything this Spring, but that's about it. I've always been asked to provide his birth certificate when registering, I'm surprised people get away with it!

The closest JuCo to you is Weatherford - and I can promise you that HC Jeff Lightfoot would not allow any non-roster player to practice with the team. However he might be a good source to find you an instructor. You are in a tough spot as I’m not aware of any league play for HS age kids in North Texas other than UIL sanctioned HS baseball. You might be able to hook up with a Home School baseball program to practice with if nothing else.

@NY @ReluctantO'sFan

My son was born September '06, so he definitely wouldn't qualify to play for 14U.  His league coach will let him practice and scrimmage with his 14U team if we can't find anything this Spring, but that's about it. I've always been asked to provide his birth certificate when registering, I'm surprised people get away with it!

Cup half full:

Ultimately your out a couple months of high school games. So what. Use that time to train as much as possible. Get in the gym, start a program, and eat. Your kid can make great strides in improvements just by getting bigger, stronger, faster. Summer will be here sooner than you think and he’ll be back up to game speed in no time at all. Have your son use being cut as a freshman as fuel. So when he makes a college roster he can look back and appreciate the grind it took to get there.

Also, it needs to be mentioned that any HS coach who cuts a 6’2” Lefty Freshman is….🤔   Jm2c

best luck going forward!

Cup half full:

Ultimately your out a couple months of high school games. So what. Use that time to train as much as possible. Get in the gym, start a program, and eat. Your kid can make great strides in improvements just by getting bigger, stronger, faster. Summer will be here sooner than you think and he’ll be back up to game speed in no time at all. Have your son use being cut as a freshman as fuel. So when he makes a college roster he can look back and appreciate the grind it took to get there.

Also, it needs to be mentioned that any HS coach who cuts a 6’2” Lefty Freshman is….🤔   Jm2c

best luck going forward!

For sure! He's kind of a gym rat anyway, so he goes pretty frequently, kid has like a 10 pack abs, I got a loaf of bread 🤣

In tryouts he's the fastest around the bases (kind of kid who always steals, and never gets out, very fast sprinter,) and did the most chinups, pullups, had the highest jump. He's VERY athletic.

We will keep up with our lessons as well!

This has definitely put a fire in him. He was very confident about how he played in the off season, 3rd in the lineup, starting 1st in all scrimmages, etc.

They cut nearly 100 kids the first time, we are at a 6A school. So I think he knew how challenging this was going to be. There is a Varsity and two JV teams, each with about 20 players. This was always a possibility, but we are still shocked at the coaches decision.

During the parent meeting before tryouts the coach told us some kids are a victim of their location, that if they lived anywhere else they would make it.

My son plans to make the coach regret it next year lol, like whoa, how'd I pass up on this guy!?

Your son might be behind a little when summer ball starts. But he should catch up with reps.

A 15yo 6’2” lefty is going to get pushed to the mound. Work on pitching. Use pitching as an opportunity get on the team. Then he can try to prove he can hit.

If your son has visions of college ball first is usually the last position recruited if recruited at all. A first baseman has to prove he’s masher not just a hitter. Otherwise, the best hitter without a position will be moved to first.

Blunt time …If your son wasn’t one of nine freshmen kept he has a lot of ground to make up. But he’s holding an “advance to go, collect $200” card. He’s a 15yo, 6’2” lefty pitcher. Play the cards you’re dealt.

In the meantime keep working out at a facility.

Reread the rule:

If you are a 2026 graduate you can play 14u. It does not matter how old you are.  We played plenty of very old 15 year olds and couple of 16 year olds because of their grad class.  PG doesn’t care, it is more important for them to get kids to play at the grad class they will be recruited.

Last edited by Around_The_Horn

Reread the rule:

If you are a 2026 graduate you can play 14u. It does not matter how old you are.  We played plenty of very old 15 year olds and couple of 16 year olds because of their grad class.  PG doesn’t care, it is more important for them to get kids to play at the grad class they will be recruited.

I guess I never understood/read it that way? I figured the birthdate kept it at a somewhat even playing field. Kind of like LL when they recently changed the age to prevent 13 year olds from playing on small fields. If I really think about it all the studs around my neck of the woods play 15/16u. This basically means if I re-classed my March 2025 he could drop down a year and be allowed to completely dominate little 8th graders. All for some stupid plastic trophy….smh. Buyer be aware, you will eventually have to prove yourself against worthy competition.

Reread the rule:

We have played tons of 14u tournaments and some teams had only 16 year old kids. PG don’t regulate age! Once you “claim” your in 8th even at 16 age - you can play. A lot of coaches told my kiddo to re-class - we always play hard and better completion.

You have 16 year old - feel so proud to beat up on 13 year olds who never saw puberty and brag how good they are. It strokes their ego and parents ego. So sad to watch.

I guess I never understood/read it that way? I figured the birthdate kept it at a somewhat even playing field. Kind of like LL when they recently changed the age to prevent 13 year olds from playing on small fields. If I really think about it all the studs around my neck of the woods play 15/16u. This basically means if I re-classed my March 2025 he could drop down a year and be allowed to completely dominate little 8th graders. All for some stupid plastic trophy….smh. Buyer be aware, you will eventually have to prove yourself against worthy competition.

Yep.  But PG is not about plastic rings at all.  It is about college scholarships.  It is easier to compete for college money against younger kids.

DFW is a baseball hotbed, I believe that there are several organizations that will have teams you can join for a fee. There are also two jucos within an hour (non-commute time) – Weatherford and Hill that would likely give your son an unbiased evaluation and areas to work for improvement. I can give you the contact info for the Hill HC if you DM me. However, the best approach would likely be to go and watch a Saturday game and talk to the coaching staff in person.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.