Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Runners and hitter are always responsible for watching signs so you shouldn't have to "let the runner know" .  With R3, we would give a bunt sign and have the next touch indicate whether safety or suicide.  Any time suicide was on, batter was required to acknowledge with a cleat tap or helmet push down.  The one sign you absolutely do not want to risk having missed is suicide.

In terms of expecting our players to look for a sign after every pitch, I'm a beast.  I hammer on them to look.  Not just early in the season.  Throughout the season.

But in terms of expecting our players to "see" the sign, I assume that 1/2 of our players are below average at seeing the signs.

We have more signs than most teams, and we use them  more than most teams, so our signs are dirt simple and very "see-able."

Nevertheless, on a squeeze (safety or suicide), I verbally inform R3 because there's no downside; only upside.  Professional airline pilots should be trusted to select the proper control settings, yet they verify with verbal call-outs.

Regarding suicide, the past couple of years our suicide sign means, "Regardless of pitch location/type, you must bunt" instead of "Regardless of pitch location/type, you must bunt b/c there's a runner breaking towards home from third."  For some batters,  when they know they have to offer at the pitch, it increases their probability of putting down regular sac bunts. The other batters get the normal sac bunt sign for regular sacs.

Last edited by game7

"Botched Squeeze"--video of Wally Backman in the 3B coaching box for the South Georgia Peanuts.

4:05 secs.:  Having flashed the suicide,  Backman watches his R3 get tagged out after the suicide is botched.

5:40 secs.:  Another runner gets to third and Backman  says, "How the f*** can you pull the bat back on a squeeze?  And it was a strike."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpFV7kanE_A

Last edited by game7

I used a verbal "sign".  I said, "come on (batters name) get a good pitch to hit" after I was done with the signs.  3rd baseman adjusted his hat, hitter hit his cletes with the bat.  Then everyone knew it was on.  If that didn't happen, it was off.  We bunted and squeezed alot growing up in youth ball.  By the end, we had it down.

MNBBG

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.