Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

My advise (and I know I'm from the east coast) is to take this time and work on getting better. Try not to only focus on the future, but learn to play in the present. Give yourself sometime to grow and develop (2025=8th grade). Become part of quality travel ball org that plays against quality competition at well-known tournaments.  With hard work, positive attitude, the right metrics, and little luck, maybe Stanford is in your future!   

Getting into Stanford is a tall task. They are very selective. Stanford has highly regarded summer camps that are invitation only. Like any other camp, they are money driven, so if you have some talent one can find a way to get an invite.

During our recruitment time, we set the bar academically at what Stanford requires/accepts. You better have very, very high scores. In the end, that academic goal helped our son, and gave him more choices.

We have a friend who played at Stanford. His numbers, ACT 32, SAT 2100 and top 1% in his HS class. Also, he was 6'9" 235lbs. with a fastball 94-97 MPH. He was drafted fairly high his junior year, signed and played in the minors for several years. He also earned his degree in 3 years.

Stanford is a a great target to set and if you son can make the grades but doesn't get love from Stanford, he will do fine getting into other programs. The Stanford camp is very well attended by many of fine programs.

Encourage your son to work hard on his craft and to work equally as hard on his academics. Both are needed to find a good fit.

Good Luck!

Forgot to mention I’m out of SoCal

If you're already the kind of player who is getting in front of coaches from UCLA, USC and UCSB, and they like what they see, then you're the kind of player who will  also be recruited by Stanford.

If so, that's great. Now all you have to do is really crush it in the classroom and on your SAT or ACT tests

Also, know that Stanford sends emails that look like genuine recruiting emails to a very large list of players.  My son got one the day after he put his (high) SAT score into his PG profile.  They are not genuine recruiting letters, they are more about recruiting players for their summer camps, which are focused on high-academic players.

Did your son attend one of their camps?

I agree with all the above. My thought is that if someone's kid is a Stanford quality stud, Stanford recruiters are going to know about him long before he shows up at a Stanford camp.

My guys are D3 quality studs () and they went to Stanford camps before both their Jr. and Sr. years. Stanford helped one kid a lot,  but not until the summer before Sr. year. The second kid was helped more by attending particular college camps.

One note: the Stanford camps are not invitation only, but they fill up crazy fast. Signups open at 12:00 am, Jan 1 East Coast time, 9pm, Dec 31 West Coast time.

And Picked off is also right about the poster Just Baseball.  Great resource if you can track him down.

Last edited by smokeminside

I agree with all the above. My thought is that if someone's kid is a Stanford quality stud, Stanford recruiters are going to know about him long before he shows up at a Stanford camp.

My guys are D3 quality studs () and they went to Stanford camps before both their Jr. and Sr. years. Stanford helped one kid a lot,  but not until the summer before Sr. year. The second kid was helped more by attending particular college camps.

One note: the Stanford camps are not invitation only, but they fill up crazy fast. Signups open at 12:00 am, Jan 1 East Coast time, 9pm, Dec 31 West Coast time.

And Picked off is also right about the poster Just Baseball.  Great resource if you can track him down.

What age do you recommend going? I’m in 8th grade

@2025prospect  Most guys on here are seasoned, and they are use to responding to other dad's that come on here looking for advise. Ultimately you want to have something to show off when you go to these camps. Think for a minute and answer that question honestly. For guys that matured like Bryce Harper maybe 8th/9th grade was that time. But for the majority of guys, they don't start to truly develop until sometime around 15 year to 16 year old timeframe. Camps are great at times for getting your name out there within the coaching staff of that University, but make no mistake you will have to play your way onto a Stanford team. Also the academics at schools on this level are quite lofty to say the least. Strive for the best, but make sure to keep your options open. Life rarely turns out the way you plan. Keep a positive attitude and strong work ethic and you'll be fine! 

@2025prospect  Most guys on here are seasoned, and they are use to responding to other dad's that come on here looking for advise. Ultimately you want to have something to show off when you go to these camps. Think for a minute and answer that question honestly. For guys that matured like Bryce Harper maybe 8th/9th grade was that time. But for the majority of guys, they don't start to truly develop until sometime around 15 year to 16 year old timeframe. Camps are great at times for getting your name out there within the coaching staff of that University, but make no mistake you will have to play your way onto a Stanford team. Also the academics at schools on this level are quite lofty to say the least. Strive for the best, but make sure to keep your options open. Life rarely turns out the way you plan. Keep a positive attitude and strong work ethic and you'll be fine!

Thank you very much! Appreciated🙏

Reluctant O's fan is on target about having something to show.  First impressions matter.

When you go is up to you.  Keep seeking advice.  There's no one size fits all approach to this.  That said, I would not make Stanford Camp my first showcase.  Find something cheap and local. Get your feet wet.  See how showcases operate.

Stanford used to advertise the All Star camp to  rising sophs, jrs. and seniors, but they're materials don't say that any longer.  If I were you, I'd write the guy in charge.  Just explain your situation and I think he'll be pretty direct about whether you should attend or not.  He's always been really responsive when I've had questions.

Coach Stotz:  stotz32@stanford.edu

As others have pointed  out Stanford casts a very wide net nationally and then starts to cull the list as they get closer to the NLI date. My son was recruited by them and they were very thorough and talked to his HS coach and travel coach and academic councilor. They asked for his SAT and test scores early as that is the first cut they make.  He had the size and test scores but his velocity did not make they cut and so he dropped off their board in his Sr season. I am not sure how he got on their radar, but he did attend their camp and he did write an email to Coach Stotz (recruiting legend at Stanford now retired) indicating that he was interested and included a profile.

Coach Stotz was an amazing guy and actually took the time to meet with my son during the Christmas Holidays on campus when we were making a pass through the Bay Area looking at schools.

As @ReluctantO'sFan pointed out Stanford is looking for the best 15 high academic baseball players in the country so the eye of the needle is small for the players that they select for the program.

Last edited by BOF

Coach Stotz always made himself available to my son. Gave my son some very useful information when they met and during phone conversations. He's a very colorful guy, I hope he is enjoying his retirement.

I remember fondly his first talk to the players/campers and parents on the first day of camp. He said that a lot of guys must have come in on the Jenny Craig flight,  when they got on the plane they were 6'3" 195 lbs. and when the landed and got here, they were 5'9" 155 lbs. I guessing their info didn't match up to their applications.

The first thing they do at the Stanford Camp is take your shoes off  measure you and weigh you on a meat type scale.   

2025Prospect, most colleges/universities recruit baseball players in the summer after junior year of high school.  Schools in high-level D1 conferences (including Stanford) recruit players who meet the metrics they are looking for.  For pitchers, that's usually a fastball of 90 mph (rhp), for fielders it might be a 60-time of below 7.0, or high exit velocity.  You can be recruited whatever age you hit the numbers they want.  If you're not there yet, "being seen" at camps or showcases is not going to do much for you.

You can measure these numbers yourself (with some help), no need to pay money for showcases.  However, do NOT go crazy chasing these numbers, all you will do is hurt yourself.  Eat healthy, work out with proper supervision, train hard, learn the game, play at the highest level you can.

Schools like Stanford are also looking for high GPAs and SAT/ACT scores, and they don't recruit quite as early because they need to see the academics.  So, work hard in the classroom as soon as you get into high school.

Stanford makes "allowances" on SAT/GPA/Academics just like all P5 competitive programs. And they offer early just like all the rest. Their academic floor is higher to start, for sure.

Local 2020 HS kid committed to Stanford right before freshman year. About mid year, Stanford started calling telling him he needs to take his SAT, take some AP classes, etc. Kid switched to SEC. Better fit. Drafted this past summer, was invited to the "60" camp before MLB season.

There are plenty of "great" educations to get, if a student can handle the academic rigors. Stanford, with their large and powerful alumni, is up there with the best of them.

as others have mentioned, grades and scores are the first hurdle.  they'll give you a little wiggle room, but they can't turn a 3.6 into a 4.0.  lock this down, first and foremost. 

for early commits that we know/know of, they might not have to hit the performance metrics but there is always a compelling case that they will.  maybe a guy isn't throwing 90 as a frosh but he's throwing 82, is 6'3"/125 and only had peach fuzz.

as many have said on this site and others, make sure the school is right for you.  I'm not saying stanford is not...only you and your student can decide that.  make sure that it's the school he wants to be at if baseball is out of the picture. 

Reluctant O's fan is on target about having something to show.  First impressions matter.

When you go is up to you.  Keep seeking advice.  There's no one size fits all approach to this.  That said, I would not make Stanford Camp my first showcase.  Find something cheap and local. Get your feet wet.  See how showcases operate.

Stanford used to advertise the All Star camp to  rising sophs, jrs. and seniors, but they're materials don't say that any longer.  If I were you, I'd write the guy in charge.  Just explain your situation and I think he'll be pretty direct about whether you should attend or not.  He's always been really responsive when I've had questions.

Coach Stotz:  stotz32@stanford.edu

Should I attend a baseball Factory event? I like everything I see about them, price, measurables only thing that holds me back is the hand timed 60. What do you recommend?

Should I attend a baseball Factory event? I like everything I see about them, price, measurables only thing that holds me back is the hand timed 60. What do you recommend?

fwiw, we've found that pbrcalifornia (we're in nor cal) is pretty well run.  a little more expensive than bbf but a lot cheaper than the other showcases we get emails from.

edit to add:  they're laser timed. and provide advanced metrics for pitchers and hitters.

Last edited by mattys

What's your current 60-time?  If you don't know, time yourself on a football field.  If it's worth telling people about (i.e. below 7.0), then do it.  If not, then don't bother.

My son was recommended by his high school coach to do a PBR showcase freshman year.  After he did, the travel coach pointed out that now those (unimpressive) numbers were online for all to see.  It did him no good, and we paid money for it.

@Consultant posted:

2025 HS Grad:

Do you have a local JC in your area?

Have you watch any games?

Have you attended their camps for instruction and knowledge of the game of baseball?

You may desire to receive an evaluation from one of the JC College Coaches. They are "highly" qualified.

Bob

Yes. I have a local JC around me. Have not gone to any games or camps. How should I go about asking for an honest evaluation?

Last edited by 2025prospect

We had first hand experience with Stanford for my 21. He was recruited from Austin, TX, Fall of Junior Year (from Ft Meyers Under Class and Worlds in Jupiter.  So you don't have to be in Cali to get noticed. You do have to have legit grades and SAT scores. You have to have a 3.8 GPA and a 1300 on the SAT (That is with allowances folks).

My son hit 90 in Ft Meyers, 91 in Jupiter as a Juinor and threw a Complete, No hitter (Perfect game if it weren't for the 6-3 throwing error on the FINAL OUT). Stuck out the last guy I think or ground out. So still No Hitter in Jupiter playing up, was a big deal. Those 2 events were when it blew up. 

My son was in the running for the last arm slot but in doing his research it was way more High Academic than he was willing to put himself through. We have a player on the baseball team from our high school that my son also played with. Graduated Valedictorian and is a true genius. He told my son "I thought I was smart before I got here". It's a true grind and he thought they might have sent the acceptance letter to the wrong house.  Baseball is a full time job along side school so my son bowed out as the academic pressure was just too much for him. I applauded his thought process and decision.

Their camps make BANK for them $1600 per head or something a week and they're full for 8-10 weeks of the summer. Serious bank roll for the program and volunteer coaches, which is great.

The endowment there is ridiculous too - so out of pocket isn't what you think it will be... $70K sticker, after endowment, think in the neighborhood of $15K or less a year....for Stanford! What an education and opportunity. But you have to be able to handled the double stress of grades at Stanford and the rigors of college  baseball.

Best of luck to you and like others have said. I wouldn't go to camp unless you have something unique to show. Play in big events on a big stage and you'll be noticed.

Make sure you're tweeting your GPA along with everything @flatground tells you to on their twitter page. They'll retweet and you'll get 1,000s of views you normally wouldn't.

BookwormBallPlayers is another High GPA retweeter.

Academic Showcases are nice if you're going that route, but for $700 you get 2-3 innings, a hat, and Tshirt and a thank you. They do the same events at each showcase, so don't think you have to attend many, or any if you don't want. But don't showcase unless you have something to showcase.

as a 2025 you have TONS of time to mature and get bigger/stronger/Faster.

Use your time and your parent's money wisely. YOU DO NOT NEED TO SHOWCASE or join the crazy train.

Ramp up to your summer SO/JR year. That's when the looks and conversations start. Talk to anyone and everyone that wants to talk to you. Practice makes perfect. Don't ever be rude or dismissive and always be appreciative, thankful, humble and confident.

You have TONS OF TIME!! Get out and see campuses, with people on them, and make sure campus and the city are a fit. You might think Duke is an amazing school, and it is academically, but Durham is a DUMP. (I know, I lived there for 3 years and when we went to visit 2019 summer, they immediately fell off my son's list).

You have to see and experience the campus, the ball park and facilities. You can't make a decision without seeing the campus and talking to the coaches.

Develop a baseball profile that is a collection of your stats, videos, and awards and share that with coaches via email when you reach out. PM me and I'll share my son's. It really helped grease the skids when you have verifiable stats, with contact numbers, links to videos and tweets from 3rd party and Tournament Scouts....

Again, enjoy your time and grow up. Grab some inches and pounds where you can and work on your speed.

Worry about this in 2 1/2 years after your SO year.....

@Eokerholm posted:

We had first hand experience with Stanford for my 21. He was recruited from Austin, TX, Fall of Junior Year (from Ft Meyers Under Class and Worlds in Jupiter.  So you don't have to be in Cali to get noticed. You do have to have legit grades and SAT scores. You have to have a 3.8 GPA and a 1300 on the SAT (That is with allowances folks).

My son hit 90 in Ft Meyers, 91 in Jupiter as a Juinor and threw a Complete, No hitter (Perfect game if it weren't for the 6-3 throwing error on the FINAL OUT). Stuck out the last guy I think or ground out. So still No Hitter in Jupiter playing up, was a big deal. Those 2 events were when it blew up.

My son was in the running for the last arm slot but in doing his research it was way more High Academic than he was willing to put himself through. We have a player on the baseball team from our high school that my son also played with. Graduated Valedictorian and is a true genius. He told my son "I thought I was smart before I got here". It's a true grind and he thought they might have sent the acceptance letter to the wrong house.  Baseball is a full time job along side school so my son bowed out as the academic pressure was just too much for him. I applauded his thought process and decision.

Their camps make BANK for them $1600 per head or something a week and they're full for 8-10 weeks of the summer. Serious bank roll for the program and volunteer coaches, which is great.

The endowment there is ridiculous too - so out of pocket isn't what you think it will be... $70K sticker, after endowment, think in the neighborhood of $15K or less a year....for Stanford! What an education and opportunity. But you have to be able to handled the double stress of grades at Stanford and the rigors of college  baseball.

Best of luck to you and like others have said. I wouldn't go to camp unless you have something unique to show. Play in big events on a big stage and you'll be noticed.

Make sure you're tweeting your GPA along with everything @flatground tells you to on their twitter page. They'll retweet and you'll get 1,000s of views you normally wouldn't.

BookwormBallPlayers is another High GPA retweeter.

Academic Showcases are nice if you're going that route, but for $700 you get 2-3 innings, a hat, and Tshirt and a thank you. They do the same events at each showcase, so don't think you have to attend many, or any if you don't want. But don't showcase unless you have something to showcase.

as a 2025 you have TONS of time to mature and get bigger/stronger/Faster.

Use your time and your parent's money wisely. YOU DO NOT NEED TO SHOWCASE or join the crazy train.

Ramp up to your summer SO/JR year. That's when the looks and conversations start. Talk to anyone and everyone that wants to talk to you. Practice makes perfect. Don't ever be rude or dismissive and always be appreciative, thankful, humble and confident.

You have TONS OF TIME!! Get out and see campuses, with people on them, and make sure campus and the city are a fit. You might think Duke is an amazing school, and it is academically, but Durham is a DUMP. (I know, I lived there for 3 years and when we went to visit 2019 summer, they immediately fell off my son's list).

You have to see and experience the campus, the ball park and facilities. You can't make a decision without seeing the campus and talking to the coaches.

Develop a baseball profile that is a collection of your stats, videos, and awards and share that with coaches via email when you reach out. PM me and I'll share my son's. It really helped grease the skids when you have verifiable stats, with contact numbers, links to videos and tweets from 3rd party and Tournament Scouts....

Again, enjoy your time and grow up. Grab some inches and pounds where you can and work on your speed.

Worry about this in 2 1/2 years after your SO year.....

Thank you very much! This has helped me so much! Greatly appreciated 🙌

No

I’m not going to say “you have no shot.” You’re only in 8th grade. But you have a long way to go and a lot of work to do. Most players who play in major conference and other top fifty programs are usually the first player you notice at a high school game. I would recommend working hard to become the best player you can be. Get bigger, faster and stronger. Get on the best travel team you can. You will know if you become a potential Stanford prospect. The top travel teams will pursue you.

Stanford is a great goal. But it’s too early to make your potential list. Work on becoming the best ball player you can be. Ultimately, even if you can’t play for a Stanford your objective should be to get a quality education first, hopefully play ball someplace where you can get on the field regardless of level and have a quality baseball experience.

Since you’re not the player people notice on the field now chances are you have until the summer after your soph year to start showing yourself.

Did the person who timed you in the 60 know how to properly time you? Also, get to some D1 and other games.  Sit up close and check out how good the players are, how hard they throw, how fast they run and how fast they swing the bat and in most cases how big they are.

Good luck.

Last edited by RJM
@RJM posted:

I’m not going to say “you have no shot.” You’re only in 8th grade. But you have a long way to go and a lot of work to do. Most players who play in major conference and other top fifteen programs are usually the first player you notice at a high school game. I would recommend working hard to become the best player you can be. Get bigger, faster and stronger. Get on the best travel team you can. You will know if you become a potential Stanford prospect. The top travel teams will pursue you.

Stanford is a great goal. But it’s too early to make your potential list. Work on becoming the best ball player you can be. Ultimately, even if you can’t play for a Stanford your objective should be to get a quality education first, hopefully play ball someplace where you can get on the field regardless of level and have a quality baseball experience.

Since you’re not the player people notice on the field now chances are you have until the summer after your soph year to start showing yourself.

Did the person who timed you in the 60 know how to properly time you? Also, get to some D1 and other games.  Sit up close and check out how good the players are, how hard they throw, how fast they run and how fast they swing the bat and in most cases how big they are.

Good luck.

Yes, the person did know how to time me. I have been looking at the numbers of players who are now at Stanford and other D1 colleges through PG Website

Consultant & RJM have offered some very sound advice. Both of them know the game so I would take it to heart. I want to echo 2 points:

1. Work on becoming the best player you can be. Don’t chase metric numbers. Learn the game.
2. Go see college practices and games in your area. Look at the size, speed & skills of the players to determine where the bar is set. Then make an honest comparison between you and those players. Get one of your coaches or parents to help you do that. Remember that these players are older than you so allowances should be made fro your projection.

Most (but not all) players that go on to play college baseball are standouts in their age group by 8th or 9th grade. Most of them are Varsity HS players by their Soph year and many are starters. Your level of progress over the next couple of years will be a good indication of what your appropriate target should be. After my sons 9th grade year he went to a camp at D3 University of Texas at Dallas. He got a written evaluation at that camp, complete with the coach’s projection on where he saw him fitting in college baseball. That camp took place over 5 years ago but Coach Sean West accurately predicted my sons baseball future from what he saw in a 16 year old kid. If the tools are there a good coach will see them. If there are shortcomings in your game a good coach will see that too, and you will know what to work on. Best of luck!

I would say the Stanford Camp is one of the best school-sponsored camps in the country. If money is not an issue I would say it is well-worth the price (~1100). Of course COVID put a full-stop on last year's camps and likely will impact the camps this summer as well.

Is it too early to attend? If you wait too long they will have finished their recruiting. It may be the only time in your life to take BP and/or play a game on the Sunken Diamond!

I would say the 5 day camp at Vanderbilt tops Stanford and is 50% of the price.  By far the best camp my son did (across Duke, UNC, Arkansas, UVA, Vandy).

https://vucommodores.com/baseballcamps/

It was incredible and action packed for sure. Tim Corbin was on hand and active all and every day.

Super active, lots of action and my son was exhausted after. Great taste of life as a Commodore and baseball player staying in the dorms, etc.

No the weather isn't as nice as Stanford, but that comes at a price....

Vandy & UVA were top dogs. UNC 3rd.

Stanford is still in the tier of Headfirst/Showball of offering a ton of exposure to the high-academic schools. With this in mind, you’re seeing fewer and fewer Ivies present at Stanford Camps than 5 years ago due to how they often overlap with other national tournaments. I believe 2019 only featured Dartmouth, Brown, and Harvard in attendance. In terms of pure camp experience, its hard to go wrong with Stanford or Vandy. There are some benefits that Vandy offers but it comes at the cost of less exposure to high-academic colleges. The best advice we’ve received on this: who are you paying access to with these camps in terms of recruiting exposure?

Agree with above, but thought the question was would the camp at Vandy or Stanford be applicable to D3 player experience, not exposure for the camper. At D1 camps there can only be 1 D1 school in attendance, they fill the rest with D2s and D3 coaches. All the mass mailings will tell you we offer at camps, etc. blah blah blah.

Agree, be wise on how and where you spend money (Camps vs Showcases, etc. - they aren't required). I do think when you get older and Sophmore year/summer is the time to narrow down and start to visit campuses/coaches and programs. A 2025 has 2 more years before they need to worry about any of that....

However, back to the question, if you want to get a taste of what baseball will be like - you have to attend a sleep over camp like a Vandy or Stanford across multiple days. The 1-2 day camps won't give you a true glimpse of the rigors, the fatigue, the food, sleeping in a twin bed in a dorm, etc dealing with a roommate you don't know, that the multi-day 3+ camps will. (regardless of division).

Vandy was the most organized and well run camp of the lot, in our experience. We didn't go there to get any other exposure except to Tim Corbin, Vandy coaches, Vandy Campus, dorms and life as a college baseball player.

If you're shopping for exposure, Headfirst or the Academic Showcases are decent, but again not required. Those schools and Ivies will be at the big events, you just have to be on their radar and/or communicate with them to tell them where you'll be and when.  Difficult with some coaches that don't publish who's pitching to give the scouts and recruiters notice (oh and the player too....).

Fingers crossed for the 22s and beyond they open camps and campuses back up next Summer.

this is all very helpful. I'm sorry I wasn't more clear about the D3 question.  We've gone the Stanford/Headfirst/Showball route for one of my guys and the specific college camp route for the other one.  Both outfielders. Both routes worked out pretty well.

Now I have a '22 who is likely a pitcher only who has NOOOOO clue where he wants to go, nor what he wants to major in. Throw Covid in the mix and you get how muddy the picture is.  I'm trying to be efficient.  How efficient can I be? If Headfirst continues its live feed of info to 200+ colleges I'm wondering how far will that take a kid whose fastball  sits 85 with very good control.  And Eokerholm, when you say "big events" I'm assuming you mean WWBA and the like?

Yes WWBA (summer and fall) and the 17U Elite tourney. Any other bigger Event with lots of teams. Those were live fed via PG all summer.

RHP or LHP? What gets people excited and press and tweet coverage from the tourney and scouts is, unfortunately, Velo and NOT command. Same with ranks. Gas trumps command even if you’ve never pitched at an event or show up and pitch 2 innings all season. (You think I’m kidding) (look at the top 50)

The way to get noticed with command is to strike out good competition at a big events. The scouts were there to see someone else and you struck em all out. That will get you noticed. Tons of Ks and low ERA.

but the coaches will tell you at camps and talks that they recruit command. That’s BS they go for gas.

loom at any game were there are a ton of scouts they’re there for the gas throwers not the strike throwers....

But the point is, Stanford and Vanderbilt don't recruit from who shows up randomly at their camps - schools like that are out at the major tournaments, looking for the top players who are playing against other top players.   Stanford Camp is like Headfirst and Showball, an opportunity to showcase in front of many HA schools; Vanderbilt camp does not bill itself that way, just sells a great experience.  

In our experience, D3s will mostly not be at big events like WWBA, unless they are local - at least, the ones my son contacted told him they wouldn't.  You do have to go to Headfirst/Showball or to regional showcases or individual school camps to be seen by many of them.

Stanford and Vanderbilt don't recruit from who shows up randomly at their camps - schools like that are out at the major tournaments, looking for the top players who are playing against other top players.

Several years ago I stopped by a camp a major conference program was running. Current players were helping with the camp. I knew one. I mentioned I only saw four legit prospects for the program. After I pointed them out the player said they were all personally invited after being seen at PG East Cobb.

Plenty players recruited by big schools HAVE attended that school’s camp. Just understand the camp is just one of many ways the school evaluates potential players. You certainly get up-close attention at their camp.

As others have mentioned, the Stanford Camp gets players exposed to HA D3 and D1 coaches. Most of the Ivy schools have at least an assistant coach attend—Princeton was also present in 2019. And a kid on my son’s camp team committed to Stanford this past summer. He certainly didn’t blow anyone away at the camp but he certainly was evaluated and that evaluation mattered when they saw him at other events after the 2019 camp.

RHP. 6’2”. Skinny as a rail.

Better tell the kid to get him some Texaco.  

Maybe check out the "How to Gain Weight" thread to the right...

Texaco works but I have heard that Stanford et al also like what some call "easy" gas...which it seems like most of the TB Rays bullpen seems to throw.

Speaking of gas I was in a PBR rathole online last night and found this nugget that was fascinating to me. PBR JUCO Iowa this fall there was 36 kid's that had a max FB of 90 or higher. 11 pitchers from NIACC over 90. 8 from Iowa Western, 7 kids from Kirkwood over 90 and 5 over 93. That is some gas...or is it ETHANOL in Iowa?!?!?

There are a lot of kids that can bring it...

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Fall 2020 PBR JUCO IA RHP Gas

The members of this site who tell you schools don’t recruit from their camps are really referring to the camp masses. And maybe this was their experience at that particular camp.  The same masses attend showcases and other events like the WWBA. In reality most kids who have been recruited have attended a camp or showcase at some point during their prep years.

Sure, I completely agree.  You have to know where you fit when you go to a camp, to know what to expect out of it.  I was talking to a parent at my son's school (D3), who said, "my son attended this baseball camp for 3 years and wasn't recruited, how did your son get recruited here?" he looked surprised when I said it was at a showcase in a different state.  If a school camp costs $75, then by all means go; if a coach personally invites you to a camp, then go; just don't pay $1000 to go to Stanford's camp thinking they might recruit you someday.

Appreciate everyone sharing. I guess I should have been more clear, as usual.

The Vandy website has zero info about other schools that attend its camp so I was just trying to find out what D3 schools might be there.

Pretty sure I don’t expect my ‘22 to get any D1 looks no matter what events he goes to. At least, not until he finishes his Driveline program which I’m sure will get his velo up to at least 90.

BTW the local juco near me is cypress college

If you are near Cypress College, you are within 30 minutes of Fullerton, Long Beach State, UCLA, USC, UC Irvine, not to mention Chapman (D3), Orange Coast JC, Saddleback JC, Santa Ana JC and others... spend some time over the next couple of years and go see some games at various levels of ball.  This will help you see where you may fit.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.