Skip to main content

Looking forward to the experience however was a little concerned when my son's confirmation from Stanford stated: "The NCAA has told us that we must adjust how we are admitting student-athletes to the camp. Rather than bore you with all the details the bottom line is that you are ADMITTED"

I haven’t contacted the staff at this point. Does anyone know what adjustments were made? I was under the impression this is a “by invite only” camp. I hope this doesn’t mean the quality of the talent and instruction will be diluted.
Don't worry about the quality of the talent or instruction/coaching. Both will be very high level. They might get an occasional player there who isn't all that good, but I think it's safe to say that at least 90% of the participants have the ability to play at some level in college.

The coaching is very high level, so you should be glad to have an opportunity for your son to be one of the player's that are admitted.
jerseydad,

By rule, the NCAA does not allow invitation only camps. My son received a "second" confirmation with the same language. I don't know what adjustments were required, but am very happy that our plans were not compromised.

I would echo what catcherdad has said, the coaching and the experience will make it well worth while. And I understand that there are actually quite a few East Coast schools present, and not too many from the West coast.
There are many coaches who come from programs that are in the east. They have about 38 college coaches working there, with a support staff that includes trainers, stanford players, and non-college coaches that brings the total number of people working at the camp to something like 65 people. It works out to about 1 staffer for every 5 players, and one college coach per 8 players, in rough numbers.

If your son is an outstanding student and also very good baseball player, this camp can be a very beneficial experience for him. I would recommend that your son write to some of the coaches who'll be working the camp (they will send you a list ahead of time that lists everyone)who coach at schools he'd like to attend. My experience is they'll definitely take the time to meet your son and talk with him while there.
Must admit my eyes glazed over the words in the second confirmation letter...I didn't really comprehend the NCAA phrase. I'm glad somebody still has their feet on the ground! There is mention here of a list of colleges that will be represented at the camp. Would a snail mail letter to the coaches be better than an email?
Newcomer,

I'm sorry but I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you wanting to know about the list of coaches/schools that will be present? Or is there something else that you want to find out from the coaching staff?

If it is only the list you are looking for, I'm sure that information will be forthcoming with the additional materials that will be sent prior to the camp. If your question is something else, perhaps you could clarify a bit what you are looking for.
Just wondering if the list of colleges represented will be sent only request or whether it will come with the packet in May. I think the confusion of my question was more about whether we should be concerned about NCAA rules regarding these camps. It seems that if my son was invited (and has a place in the camp, thank goodness) then we're okay.
You will get a list of participating coaches that will be sent out in an informaiton packet later this spring. I wouldn't worry at all about any NCAA rules. They certainly know what they're doing, as do all the coaches who'll be helping out.

I would not bother them right now with a request for coaches information. Its way premature and you'll get it in a few months if your son is participating.
After my son sent back his questionnaire he got a long e-mail from coach Stotz about admissions to Stanford among other things. I was wondering if that was because my son told him he knew he'd have to improve on his GPA to get into Stanford or if that went out to everyone. If it was an individual note then I'm really impressed. If it wasn't I'm still impressed that he's making that much effort with kids he hasn't seen yet.
2deuce - Sounds really hopeful. I hope you get to go...it was one of the very best experiences my son had 5 years ago.

CADad - Everyone wonders if those emails go out to everyone?, many? or just those on their recruiting list? But nearly every Stanford player I have known got one just like it at some point..some later, some earlier (my son had not received it yet by this time in his junior year).

Good luck and have fun to both of you! Great venue, great weather, lots to do in the area. I hope you both get the chance. Wink
Last edited by justbaseball
From our experience Stanford has one of the most well oiled machines for sending out recruiting letters. Lots of follow-up letters including tips on how and when to take SAT's. They answer e-mails promptly and with good advice. I really doubt Coach Stotz has enough time to anwser all the e-mails personally so I suspect he has good student volunteers that help him. They cast a huge net nationwide and have quite a data base on lots of recruits. We were most impressed with their written recruiting info that was sent regularly. UC Irvine also had alot of info they regularly sent out.
Obviously you have to weed through it all and be cautiously optimistic that you really are on their list.
quote:
Originally posted by CADad:
After my son sent back his questionnaire he got a long e-mail from coach Stotz about admissions to Stanford among other things. I was wondering if that was because my son told him he knew he'd have to improve on his GPA to get into Stanford or if that went out to everyone. If it was an individual note then I'm really impressed. If it wasn't I'm still impressed that he's making that much effort with kids he hasn't seen yet.

My son received the same e-mail after submitting his questionaire. It was personalized and well written but I suspect it goes to all individuals that submit their questionaire or register for their camp. He has received several e-mails from Coach Stotz but I think they have all been standard e-mails. He has not received one saying that chances look good that he would get in to the Stanford Camp like Duece2 received.
Last edited by baseball fan 09
quote:
Originally posted by 2deuce:
somehow my parents came up with the $750 for the camp and i sent my application a few weeks ago.
so yesterday i received an email for Coach Stotz saying i have a good chance of getting in. i'm hoping this is a good sign.
does anyone know if i should or should not hold my breath?

so i get home from our intrasquad scrimmage and i'm dead tired for some reason. i almost went to bed without checking messages, but i decide to check anyway... turns out i got into the stanford camp! now i can't sleep! hope to see you all there!!
BOF

The Westin is convenient to Stanford, but expensive for what it is. I wouldn't stay in the city if your kido is going to the camp. It will make for some very long days and a good deal of inconvenience.

If you are looking for better hotels I would suggest; The Garden Court, Stanford Park and Dinah's Garden. The Garden Court is a botique hotel in downtown Palo Alto, you can walk almost everywher and if push comes to shove to sunken diamond. The Stanford Park is a less expensive version of the Westin, but probably nicer. It is located north of the shopping center along El Camino. Dinah's Garden is south of campus; it has been there forever, nice people and a bit cheaper (still expensive becuase it is in Palo Alto).
Thanks IVBB I will check them out.

Ryanrod, I would wait for his Jr year. I know a couple of kids (2011) who went last year and said they wished they had waited for this year. One tried to do the USA Basball 16U and the Stanford Camp and said it did not work out very well. I would focus on the USA Baseball tournament, particularly since you are in Az.
2B is a 2011. I'm sure there are folks in this thread who know quite a bit about the differences between the camps. We wouldn't have even thought of going all the way out to CA, but he got one of those letters signed in original ink. Smile Plus Coach Stotz has been in touch with our HS coach, so it seems like they are legitimately interested. It's pretty exciting. When someone opens a door like that, you gotta step in and take a look! Plus, if he gets admitted to the camp, it's a chance to see my crazy in-laws.
Last edited by 2Bmom
We stayed at the Creekside Inn in Palo Alto. Nice place. Maybe 10 minutes from Stanford.

UVA was not there but some other ACC schools were. Great camp. Mostly academic schools but some good baseball programs too. My son went both years but its certainly not necessary to do so and for the most part they focus on the juniors. The camp was instrumental in my son's path to his school.

Strangely he even recieved a phone call last night from a school who saw him there asking him if he had already committed.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.