Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

My son is coming in as a freshman in fall. They have 4 or 5 California kids coming in this year. Supposed to start on doing field in turf this summer. They won there first post-season game this year. Hope for better things in the future. Good academics for a state school. Hour and a half from NYC on train, with a stop on edge of campus. Sports have good support from administration, and have made great strides lately. Only been in D1 for 10 years or so.
@ raysman1..Hope you found your pitching coach? Got the response that Coach Strom sent you. Consdier it.

@ Celtdad..Good Luck to Celtdad Jr.! What has he been up to this Summer? Any requirements from his baseball program? I heard some colleges requiring their recruits to play an X amount of games or tournaments to make sure they are staying sharp.

Best regards!
RR23
Last edited by Ryanrod23
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanrod23:
@ raysman1..Hope you found your pitching coach? Got the response that Coach Strom sent you. Consdier it.

@ Celtdad..Good Luck to Celtdad Jr.! What has he been up to this Summer? Any requirements from his baseball program? I heard some colleges requiring their recruits to play an X amount of games or tournaments to make sure they are staying sharp.

Best regards!
RR23

Rod, I am considering the response from Coach Strom, but money is tight at the moment, and I can't pay the $900 a year for the pitching DVD thing. My parents would pay it if our business was going good. But it's not right now. Frown

@Celtdad

Thanks. It sounds pretty nice, and it also has Business Administration, and it seems to be in a nice location.
Last edited by raysman1
Raysman. your profile says you are 13 so dont worry too much about the colleges yet.

In 5 years you and the schools you are looking at could undergo several changes In about 5 years if you are still interested, PM me. I live a mile away from Stony Brook. I will be able to fill you in as to how it is at that time! Cool

Just spend your time getting better as a ballplayer!

Good luck!
quote:
Originally posted by CELTDAD:
My son is coming in as a freshman in fall. They have 4 or 5 California kids coming in this year. Supposed to start on doing field in turf this summer. They won there first post-season game this year. Hope for better things in the future. Good academics for a state school. Hour and a half from NYC on train, with a stop on edge of campus. Sports have good support from administration, and have made great strides lately. Only been in D1 for 10 years or so.

Celtdad

Congrats to your son! PM if I can answer any questions. I live close to the school, watch a few games a year, and know one or two of the players on the team
quote:
Originally posted by K Complex:
Raysman. your profile says you are 13 so dont worry too much about the colleges yet.

In 5 years you and the schools you are looking at could undergo several changes In about 5 years if you are still interested, PM me. I live a mile away from Stony Brook. I will be able to fill you in as to how it is at that time! Cool

Just spend your time getting better as a ballplayer!

Good luck!

Alrighty. And thanks. I'll PM you when I'm a sophomore, or junior...by that time I'll be putting real interest into which schools I'd like to attend. :P
RR23 thanks for asking about my son. He is playing on the playa vista orioles black team, and having fun with his last games before the hard workouts of college ball. The team is mixed with 2010s and 2011s kids. Many of the 2010s have there deals done are just playing games to see the ball a couple of games a week. We have UCLA,LMU,DUKE,STONY BROOK,a couple JCs,and some others schools I can't remember on the team. I see your son had a area code tryout and was wondering how it was working out, even if he doesn't make it the tryouts have a ton of exposure. I will continue to watch your post for his development. As far as CELTson's work-out plans from school, the asst. coach sent a workout program binder, but told the boy's to do the mobility and agility section. Which I will tell you, even with my sons great physical shape its very trying. He can't wait to start the challenge of the college life and the next level of ball. RR23 keep up the post and I'll see in long beach if he makes it on the area code team.
Last edited by CELTDAD
quote:
Originally posted by CELTDAD:

and dont forget their most famous baseball alum....Joe Nathan
Just curious...

How do the CA kids get recruited to Stoney Brook? My son's coach got a letter requesting names of possible recruits and he passed on my son's name. SB has invited him to a couple of camps but obviously it is not viable to travel to NY for a three hour camp.

Did the recruited kids go to NY or were they spotted at a showcase somewhere?
First, it is spelled Stony Brook. Can't speak for all for all of the 6 kids from CA, but I believe none of them went to NY to the camp. I believe they were seen at scout ball, summer league games, club ball, and area code tryouts. The first player who committed 3 years ago opened the door for the rest of the boys. The recruiting coach has some connections on the west coast, also people suggest kids that they think would be a good fit for the school.
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/?p...=91&tag=&dcid=CBS.NY

Although the above interview from earlier this week is with the Stony Brook basketball coach, it offers great insight into the Stony Brook athletic programs and the campus.

I have season tickets to their basketball team and have noticed the change since their new AD took the helm. I also get over to a few baseball games and cant wait to see the renovations when they are completed.

It is and up and coming D1 sports program with great progress in several sports.

It's proximity to NYC and also to Long Island beaches make it a wonderful place to attend school.

Living within a few minutes of the campus, I am excited to see this athletic department as it becomes more recognized in several sports.

I believe the interview gives you a flavor for what is going on at Stony Brook in general.
Ryanrod- The only place the subway runs is within the 5 boroughs. There is the Long Island Railroad, which runs from both Nassau and Suffolk Counties (the two counties on Long Island) in and out of the city. However, Stony Brook is pretty far out east on Long Island and I could be wrong, but I believe mileage wise it's closer to the Hamptons than NYC.
Stony Brook is a large university with a teaching hospital on campus. It is well known for the science/med porgram and has a very up and coming D1 program.

I live a mile away in Port Jefferson

The school itself is only 50 years or so old.

Feel free to PM me with your phone number if you want to get additional info .

There is a Long Island Railroad stop at the campus so you could get to Manhattan in under 2 hours
Last edited by K Complex
Hello , I played in the America East (Binghamton from 2005-2009) and the fact that Stony Brook was our big rival makes me want to add my two cents here.

First off I can't wait to see what Joe Nathan Field will look like when finished. It is exciting to see the America East upgrading their facilities. I know Binghamton has a new stadium in the works as well.

I was always a little bit jealous with Stony Brook's schedule as they always seemed to play more southern teams and bigger names than we got to play at Binghamton. I know the Stony Brook coach makes an effort to book these types of games and it is definitely a plus you get at SBU that other America East teams don't get as much.

Stony Brook academically is very good and I really didn't notice much difference between SB, Binghamton, and Albany on an academic level. I did very well in Binghamton's School of Management and never thought I was losing out by being in a "state run program" rather than an expensive private university.

The America East is pretty good baseball and Stony Brook is always at the top (Though we did get the best of them my senior year!).

If there are negatives I have of SB it is completely unsubstantiated... they are in Long Island, lol. I am not sure where you are from but SBU seemed to have an "arrogance" to them that always fueled the rivalry. I was actually friends with some of the guys on the team (played summer ball with them in Hawaii)but there was certainly an upstate- downstate thing going on. (Oh yea, the coaches really don't like each other either..lol)

I think you would really find my new book interesting. It is all about playing in the America East and my experience as a Division I College Athlete. The title is "Going with the Pitch: Adjusting to Baseball, School, and Life as a Division I College Athlete". It is available at Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/Going-Pi...id=1303526288&sr=1-1

My goal was to write a book that offered a player's perspective of northeast college baseball.As a father/member/player of the America East I really think it offers an in depth scope of the conference. I hope you can get something out of it!

Best Regards, and please ask me any questions you may have. Having played Stony Brook well over 20 times in my career I have a decent idea of their operations.
Time to bring updates to this thread. Stony Brook had the year that those of us involved with the program thought was possible. What a run and an fantastic experience for the players and families involved. Going forward will present some challenges, due to the 5 juniors that signed in the mlb draft. The freshman class looks to be working hard and should surprise in the spring. The classes of recruits for the next 2 years also look to be a continued building of the program. For those families and players interested in this program, as long as Coach Punnuici is involved with recruiting its an improving level of incoming players. The distance away from home and the weather have been a test of my sons determination to succeed. But would not exchange the difficulties for the overall experience to this point. Thanks to K comples and RR23 for all the kind words. Go Seawolves!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.