Skip to main content

Boy do I wish I could change this old screen name… either way, I was hoping to get various opinions on this question. I’m a rising junior in college with 3 years of eligibility left. I didn’t play my sophomore year—I transferred out of the school I played at my freshman year due to an unrelated medical problem. I’m feeling good about that issue these days and ready to be back, except for the fact that I hurt my (right) UCL my senior year of HS/freshman year of college. I’m ambidextrous—I partially tore my left UCL at 13 years old. I pitched exclusively right-handed from then on, all throughout HS. I understand I’m a mess. To make a comeback at playing baseball, which I believe is totally possible with my current state of health, is my best chance of playing college and beyond to undergo surgery on both (forget the price and safety at this point) or just stick with one? To be clear, I’m fully confident I could get to a high level with both as long as it’s physically possible. I was 88-91 T92 in HS from the right and even with the partially torn left UCL, 80-83 T85, although at that point I was throwing with tons of pain and always had to shut down. Thanks for reading and opinions are much appreciated!

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

@baseballhs posted:

If you haven’t played in 3 years (after surgery) a road back on the field would be extremely difficult, if not impossible, in this climate.

What makes you say that? There are plenty of guys who make comebacks after even more time off (mine would only be 2 years, not that that matters much). I have tons of faith in my ability and dedication to this sport. I want this to work out more than anything. To me, I don’t see why in a year and a half post surgery, I’m not right back where I was from the right and stronger than I ever was from the left. Meaning I’m almost 90 or more from both sides.

Boy do I wish I could change this old screen name… either way, I was hoping to get various opinions on this question. I’m a rising junior in college with 3 years of eligibility left. I didn’t play my sophomore year—I transferred out of the school I played at my freshman year due to an unrelated medical problem. I’m feeling good about that issue these days and ready to be back, except for the fact that I hurt my (right) UCL my senior year of HS/freshman year of college. I’m ambidextrous—I partially tore my left UCL at 13 years old. I pitched exclusively right-handed from then on, all throughout HS. I understand I’m a mess. To make a comeback at playing baseball, which I believe is totally possible with my current state of health, is my best chance of playing college and beyond to undergo surgery on both (forget the price and safety at this point) or just stick with one? To be clear, I’m fully confident I could get to a high level with both as long as it’s physically possible. I was 88-91 T92 in HS from the right and even with the partially torn left UCL, 80-83 T85, although at that point I was throwing with tons of pain and always had to shut down. Thanks for reading and opinions are much appreciated!

I think your time-frame might be off a little if you choose both arms, so I would stick with the LEFT. That is unless you can convince a doctor to do them both at the same time... but then wiping your own a$$ becomes a real issue.  Just wanted to point out some really important information before you started down that road....

I think your time-frame might be off a little if you choose both arms, so I would stick with the LEFT. That is unless you can convince a doctor to do them both at the same time... but then wiping your own a$$ becomes a real issue.  Just wanted to point out some really important information before you started down that road....

I should have been clearer with this— they’d probably space the two surgeries out by a month+. A local surgeon I saw yesterday offered to do internal brace surgery on my right and a month later, TJ on the left. Either way, I’d hopefully have decent mobility in whatever arm goes first prior to operating on the second to be able to do the important task you mentioned!

Last edited by Dingerswag1223

Regarding your eligibility, are you planning to play at a D2/D3? You probably know that D1 has a 5 calendar year window to play 4 seasons, so your only realistic path to 3 more seasons would be the internal brace on your right arm now, allowing you to pitch next spring. Even D2/D3 has a 10 semester limit, so you would need to manage your full-time semester to actually play 3 more seasons. Or if you really want to get nuts, get both done now, pitch RH in 2023 then LH in 2024-25.  :-)

If you only get the full TJS on your left arm, it's going to mean sitting out the entire 2023 season, right? You might be 25 years old when you use your 4th and final year of eligibility (assuming D2/D3).

Regarding your eligibility, are you planning to play at a D2/D3? You probably know that D1 has a 5 calendar year window to play 4 seasons, so your only realistic path to 3 more seasons would be the internal brace on your right arm now, allowing you to pitch next spring. Even D2/D3 has a 10 semester limit, so you would need to manage your full-time semester to actually play 3 more seasons. Or if you really want to get nuts, get both done now, pitch RH in 2023 then LH in 2024-25.  :-)

If you only get the full TJS on your left arm, it's going to mean sitting out the entire 2023 season, right? You might be 25 years old when you use your 4th and final year of eligibility (assuming D2/D3).

Yeah so I’ve given some thought to this. I played at a D1 my first year and I’m not a student at another D1. Not sure if that changes anything eligibility wise but as far as I understand, it does not. So you’re correct, I’d sit out 2023 pretty much regardless unless I got internal brace surgery on my right and full TJ on the left, then I could hypothetically pitch righty in 2023 and lefty from 2024 on. I’m turning 21 in July, so if I do use that 5th year in 2025, I’ll turn 24 a month or 2 after the season is over. Not ideal at all but I love this game and I’m willing to do whatever to play at the highest level possible and believe I have the ability to.

@SpeedDemon posted:

There’ll be a softball player on UCLA next year in her 7th season with the team - redshirt, play, play, covid year, play, medical redshirt, play.

Anything is possible. Go for it.

Sounds like UCLA got that player a one year extension for COVID and a medical hardship waiver for the injury year. It's certainly possible that Dinger's school could petition for the hardship waiver for this season, but not a given. And he missed out on the COVID extension.

@Dingerswag1223 - these are the standard rules:
Basic D1 eligibility is four seasons of participation spread over 5 calendar years.
Basic D2/D3 eligibility is four seasons of participation spread over 10 full-time semesters.

So with D2/D3, you can take a semester off to extend your clock.

I admire your enthusiasm.  What baseballhs is saying is that there is now a huge oversupply of players, due to covid and the reduced draft.  Why would a coach take a chance on someone who has been injured and hasn't played for 3 years, when there are covid holdovers and juco players and regular transfers available, who have been playing at current schools or in collegiate leagues?  To do this after surgery, you'll need a carefully thought-out recruiting plan, one that includes levels below D1.

I admire your enthusiasm.  What baseballhs is saying is that there is now a huge oversupply of players, due to covid and the reduced draft.  Why would a coach take a chance on someone who has been injured and hasn't played for 3 years, when there are covid holdovers and juco players and regular transfers available, who have been playing at current schools or in collegiate leagues?  To do this after surgery, you'll need a carefully thought-out recruiting plan, one that includes levels below D1.

It just comes down to my confidence in myself, probably. I’m a guy who went from playing freshman baseball my freshman year of HS, JV my sophomore year, and during that JV season took my fastball from 78 to 85 and committed to a D1 that summer without having played any varsity baseball. That was a goal of mine for a while and was told numerous times it was impossible or got laughed at. So I believe with my work ethic I could make some great things happen. This coaching staff also recruited me from another school while I was in HS, but that’s a different story and one that could really hurt me in this process. Now, as you’re saying, should I not rise to the level I’ll need to be at to play at a Big10 D1, I’ll probably just get my degree and go on with my life. But yes, if that wasn’t my mindset you’re correct to say I’d need to look elsewhere to play.

@DaddyBaller posted:

I love the confidence! If you don't believe in yourself no one else will.

Your journey would make an interesting YouTube channel if you are so inclined. I know I would watch.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Thank you, I appreciate that! I have a history of YouTube videos. Used to post many baseball practice sessions I did around 12 years old. That being said, stay tuned haha. I love that idea and I’ll go through with it.

Honestly I stopped reading replies because it comes down to this - do you want to put the work in to make it happen?  If you are willing to spend the money on surgery, do the rehab / PT, then work to get back to baseball shape and give it a shot then it MIGHT happen.  If you choose NOT to do that then I will guarantee you won't play anymore. 

Definitely look into the rules of how many years / semesters / medical redshirts / COVID extensions before making a decision.  Talk with the coaches at your school (or whatever school might be willing to give you a shot) if it's possible and / or rules on window to play. 

You have given this thought and seem to be open to information / opinions on if this will work but I believe you need more info and random people on the internet who may or may not be helpful isn't the place to get it.

I wish you luck and good health in whatever path you take

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.