Skip to main content

Which is the more correct way after loading and getting ready to swing? Is it striding out the front foot towards the pitcher, or simply picking the front foot up and setting it down? I have heard many things from both sides, but still the correct answer seems to be lingering out there, somewhere. Any feedback?
"The name on the front is more important than the name on the back."
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I have found that the better method would be to stride/weight shift in conjunction with the swing, finished with hip turn.

Mentally it is better thought as swinging, weight shift and hip turn all at once.

I have never understood why the chain or sling shot swing would be used.

Why would a batter stride, hip turn and then swing?

It seems like an exercise in bat dragging and arm swinging.
Last edited by Quincy
Buddy,

It my opinion, a lot of it depends on the width of their stance. The majority of Today’s hitters use a wider stance and as a result their stride foot travels a shorter distance (Bagwells foot even traveled backwards sometimes). Most still take their hands and arms back while their foot travels forward and they begin to do that a split second before or after the pitcher releases the ball. This action ends a split second before or after the ball is half way to the plate (my opinion).

Quincy,

I’m am still a big Henry Aaron fan. And I don’t think he saw a lot of fat fastballs during his prime. "I don't see pitches down the middle anymore - not even in batting practice"-Hank Aaron (date unknown).

I wonder if that needs to be factored when comparing his clips to those filmed in the last 10 years.

I know these are only two clips, but both of them seem to be pitches that would have been laid off of by today’s power hitters (even with two strikes).

Just my opinion,

THop
Last edited by THop
Hitters of today are not as intelligent in the game.

Notice the common sense adjustment Aaron makes.

Left frame has the tradjectory of a pitch from a righty aimed at the inside corner. Aaron stands further off the plate to get the good wood on the inside pitch.

Right frame has the tradjectory as coming from a lefty so Aaron turns to the direction of the pitch as well as standing a bit closer to the plate.

Today's hitters do not seem to have the common sense to make the same adjustments.
Last edited by Quincy
Quincy,

Doesn’t mean he’s unintelligent or can’t make adjustments does it? To me it just means he’s unmotivated. TV has done that to today’s player two ways. One is money. Why should I? It’s not like I’m going to get a bonus or anything. Two, I have tried to bunt 90 mph fastballs (machine) and it’s scary. You can really look bad if you don’t work at it a lot. And with TV, if a MLB player “really looks bad” in a game, 50 million people will see it 10 times over the next few days. On the other hand, if Giambi did lay down a bunt to the left side in the situation you described, they would show it all night on Sport Center.

Just my opinion.

THop
Back to the main topic...if the foot is just picked up and put down, this is called "rotational hitting", correct? But, from striding out, the hips have more room to clear. And what about the issue of over striding? I've seen kids' stances so low and wide that it seems like there is nothing behind the swing since from being so wide, there is no extra "oomph". I do agree that all hitters are different and have their own style and ways of hitting the ball, but there has to be some agreement. So what is this agreement that all hitters must agree on?

Quincy; Jason Giambi is getting paid to hit, not bunt. Wink
Well, sure. A hitter must hit the ball. BUT, it's getting to a good position in order to hit the ball. BUT, if every hitter was in a good position every swing, he/she would hit the ball hard every time. That doesn't necessarily always happen, though. I know it might sound confusing, but this is the best way to put it into word form for me. Making contact is only half the battle.

No wonder why they say hitting is the single most difficult thing to do in all of sports.
quote:
Originally posted by Buddy Lawrence:
Well, sure. A hitter must hit the ball. BUT, it's getting to a good position in order to hit the ball. BUT, if every hitter was in a good position every swing, he/she would hit the ball hard every time. That doesn't necessarily always happen, though. I know it might sound confusing, but this is the best way to put it into word form for me. Making contact is only half the battle.

No wonder why they say hitting is the single most difficult thing to do in all of sports.

Only 6 guys have had a career .600 slugging percentage or better and they all did very similar things in their pre-swing. Two of the swings are exactly the same and are the only two to accomplish the task since 1950. They both also had an OBP of .400 or better. Only 10 hitters since 1950 have had an OBP of .400 or better, .300 or better AVG., and .500 or better slugging percentage.

If you want to study hitting, these are the guys to start with. Learn the similarities and see what you can put in your swing.

Anyone want to list or already know who they are?
quote:
Originally posted by powertoallfields:
Only 6 guys have had a career .600 slugging percentage or better and they all did very similar things in their pre-swing. Two of the swings are exactly the same and are the only two to accomplish the task since 1950. They both also had an OBP of .400 or better. Only 10 hitters since 1950 have had an OBP of .400 or better, .300 or better AVG., and .500 or better slugging percentage.

If you want to study hitting, these are the guys to start with. Learn the similarities and see what you can put in your swing.

I will list Smile

Actually, there are seven with a slugging % over .600, one being active and another wanting to still be activeSmile

Babe Ruth: .6898
Ted Williams: .6338
Lou Gehrig: .6324
Albert Pujols: .6200
Jimmie Foxx: .6093
Barry Bonds: .6069
Hank Greenberg:.6050
quote:
Originally posted by Quincy:
If you look at Aaron's swing you'll notice that the bat is coming forward before his hips start to turn.

His weight shift/stride is exaggerated by his raising his back foot. He is still shifting his weight forward at contact.

His weight is not shifting forward at connection. It has stopped due to his stride leg being extended and blocking his forward movement.
quote:
Originally posted by beemax:
quote:

I will list Smile

Actually, there are seven with a slugging % over .600, one being active and another wanting to still be activeSmile

Babe Ruth: .6898
Ted Williams: .6338
Lou Gehrig: .6324
Albert Pujols: .6200
Jimmie Foxx: .6093
Barry Bonds: .6069
Hank Greenberg:.6050

Yep! I didn't have Pujols because he didn't have enough at bats to be on the all-time list. How about the .300, .400, .500 question? Yeah, can you believe no one has picked up Bonds? Why wouldn't a AL team pick him up to DH? Even if he gets sent to prison before the season is over, they would still get their money's worth.
quote:
[QUOYep! I didn't have Pujols because he didn't have enough at bats to be on the all-time list. How about the .300, .400, .500 question? Yeah, can you believe no one has picked up Bonds? Why wouldn't a AL team pick him up to DH? Even if he gets sent to prison before the season is over, they would still get their money's worth.

Williams: .344 BA .482 OBP .634 SLG
Todd Helton: .331 .430 .581
Frank Thomas: .302 .420 .559
Edgar Martinez: .312 .418 .515
Stan Musial: .331 .417 .559
Manny Ramirez: .314 .410 .594
Bobby Abreu: .300 .407 .500
Chipper Jones: .309 .404 .548
Larry Walker: .313 .400 .565
Pujols: .332 .422 .620

Is this the same list that you have? You said after 1950, and Musial and Williams retired after 1950, so I think this is the list.
quote:
quote:
[QUOYep! I didn't have Pujols because he didn't have enough at bats to be on the all-time list. How about the .300, .400, .500 question? Yeah, can you believe no one has picked up Bonds? Why wouldn't a AL team pick him up to DH? Even if he gets sent to prison before the season is over, they would still get their money's worth.

Is this the same list that you have? You said after 1950, and Musial and Williams retired after 1950, so I think this is the list.

Yes Sir! Do you see any surprises on there? I was kind of surprised about Abreu, but he is just barely on there. It's still a heck of an accomplishment though. I believe Thomas may fall off of the .300 average list if he stays around much longer, kind of like Aaron and Mantle who were really part of that list most of their careers.
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yes Sir! Do you see any surprises on there? I was kind of surprised about Abreu, but he is just barely on there. It's still a heck of an accomplishment though. I believe Thomas may fall off of the .300 average list if he stays around much longer, kind of like Aaron and Mantle who were really part of that list most of their careers.

Abreu is definitely a surprise and I do agree that thomas may drop out of there if he keeps at it. I know this much though by looking at all of these hitters; they were/are all around GREAT hitters. There is nothing they cannot do with the bat.

A little surprised A Rod isn't on here, as he has a .306 BA .389 OBP .578 SLG.

He strikes out over a hundred times a year and has never walked over a hundred so I'm not sure if he will ever get to .400, but he still has an outside shot.
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Abreu is definitely a surprise and I do agree that thomas may drop out of there if he keeps at it. I know this much though by looking at all of these hitters; they were/are all around GREAT hitters. There is nothing they cannot do with the bat.

A little surprised A Rod isn't on here, as he has a .306 BA .389 OBP .578 SLG.

He strikes out over a hundred times a year and has never walked over a hundred so I'm not sure if he will ever get to .400, but he still has an outside shot.

Yeah, I would say A Rod's biggest problem is that he can pretty much hit any pitch out of the ball park. It's a good thing to be able to do, but it is a double edged sword too. It is a scary thing to tinker with on a hitter too. Sometimes if you get them to be a little more selective, they start being too selective and their other numbers start to fall.
Last edited by powertoallfields

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.