Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

After reading these posts I checked the Mustangs, Knights, Patriots, Tigers (none) Panthers (none), wesites. No one has the rosters posted except the Knights. I see they have many players who's names are recognizable (Linebaugh, Matthews, Reidell, Langford). The thing that I noticed was, most of these players played for different teams last summer. Looking at the 03 stats page and the 04 roster page, I saw only 1 returning player. How were they able to "recruit" these players without any "name" players as "bait" when there are many good teams in the area bidding for most of the same kids. I would have written the Knights off for this summer if I had known they had only 1 returning player. However, looking at their roster I think they will compete. I know the Tigers Panthers and Patriots are returning the bulk of their rosters from last summer. All have many good players (Panthers: Blue, Guerra), (Tigers: Clark, Garrison, Kluber), (Patriots: Abeita, Snodgrass, Whatley). One team many overlook is the FW Blackhawks. They have many good players from the FW area. I see from their site the B-Hawks are playing the Knights at TCU June 2nd. This is the opener for both teams (I think). I'm sure it will be Gallardo vs Linebaugh or Matthews. This will be a scouts paradise leading into the draft as Gallardo is the 8th rated HS player in the country.

Secondly. Why do the other teams have their rosters hidden? Is there some secret? I know, maybe they are embarrassed to show them.

Lastly, why do the Tigers or Panthers not have a site for their older teams?

This summer should be a good one if you are a fan.
Baller,
Don't know where Johnson has signed yet but, I hope someplace 2nd in area with wins 10, 4th in K's 106, ERA 1.71. Bolling had to be in the top five in K's in 4A, 120 something last time I checked in the FWST, he's a Jr.

We only have 3, 18's rest of the team is 17, guess we're really a year away, but we'll be ok.
Seed Hitter,

These organizations, for the most part, are reputable, and have traditionally been at the forefront of Dallas Select ball. Their names alone tend to attract attention because they've been around forever...And, they do a fairly good job of promoting players thru their respective "network" of college connections, etc.
Agree with Blackhawks. Arlington heat is good, too. Cecil Espy, Arlington Wizards, usually has a good group...

I don't think rosters are hidden, but these guys may not see the value of a website. (fluff?) Perhaps they'd rather train than "maintain"...just a thought...
The 16U Arlington Heat team will be competitive, but will not finish in the top 6 at BBI. It will be close, and I could be wrong about that.

We are not going to AABC, have no plans to attend. It isn't in our plans.

That is not why our team was put together.

We are a pure 15 team with 2 16's (was informed Sunday that we might have 3 16's, who knows.)

I think we showed what we are Saturday, our second game out we lost to the Knights 15 in the bottom of the 7th in a 5-4 game.

We will play the tough teams close, but we also have a set rotation on the pitchers, and will not save our #1 starter just because XYZ team is on the schedule.

Everybody has a different philosophy on how to run a team. Some are all about win/loss record, some others are about teaching kids fundementals.

While we aren't truely in either of those categories, we are a blend of winning to keep the kids interested, but the main focus will be to let the coach instill some of his expertise upon the kids. Since he played Major League Ball for 10 years or so, has 2 world series rings and an All Star Game appearance and on top of that Managed in the minors, I am hoping for the best.

Before we will hit our stride, we will have to play some more games. We basically have kids from 3 different teams merged together and they still are trying to learn the other kids' names, let alone knowing how to play together.

Next year will be a different situation.

I will also be interested to see how Chris' 18U team does, as I know quite a few players on the team.
quote:
Originally posted by Bob15:
Kellerdad,

You say that you won't be in the top 6 in the 16&U, so i was wondering who your top 6 teams are ?

I think Baller is pretty close on his top 6
quote:

BBI 16U Division Prediction (no particular order)

Dbat 16
Tigers 16
Knights 16
Patriots 16
Tigers Ingram

Dbat 15 - Knights 15 - Bulls 16

Except that I would put DBat in front ot the Tigers Ingram and I have no idea about the Bulls until we play them.

I still think (as I said over the winter) that DBat 15's are the best pure 15 year old team in the region. And all you Tiger lovers can tell me who they added, yes I know, but I still think DBat will be the team to beat.

But hey, I've been wrong before and I'm sure I'll be wrong again.
The baller squaller is pretty close on his divination.

I wouldn't put Dbat 15's above Ingram 15's necessarily, they may be better, but looking at the schedule I think Ingrams 15 has a more favorable schedule.

The big three are definately Dbat 16, Knights 16, and Tigers 16. Depending on who wins qualifier tournaments any one of these three will win BBI league.

I know there will be some supporters of Dbat 15, Tigers Ingram, Knights 15 but there is no way a pure 15 will win BBI. It hasn't happened in recent memory and it wont happen this year either.
Baller,
deal is you're probably correct, except the high school team slam. No high school teams in the select division. We're only playing 12 games in league. Which really means three tourney's ( Dave likes to call them showcase, but that's because that's the new buzz-word in Connie Mack age kids. At least I've talked Chris ( Cover All Bases ) into playing tourney's instead of the old Arlington Sundowner ( which is no longer ) Maybe next year he'll agree to BBI, but he makes his money on his younger teams. We're not ready to play the big boys ( Tigers, Stars, Knights ) but we play both Blackhawk teams, Wizard 18u, & a new group out of Arlington called the Colt 45's on Weds. nights, just for games. Then we play at TCU, Navarro, UTA twice, & Burkburnett. Bottonline we play some good programs, much improved schedule over last year.
quote:
Originally posted by Baller:
KDad

Two of Ingrams best players, one of which is a pretty good 15 year old pitcher are still in the playoffs.

Well, we won't have a couple of our kids due to playoffs also. So, it should be a good game.

And I don't know how you can say they are some of their "best" players. At this level, in my opinion, all of the players contribute that are on the lineup card.

If not, the coach didn't do a good job recruiting.
Skittle,

Pitching and defense win titles not offense. Just check the Texas Rangers world series appearances over the last decade. According to the Knights website: in 2003 the Tigers gave up 27 runs in three games using 3 quality arms, while only producing a mere 10 runs in three games. From all observations, the Knights pitching is comperable and deeper than 2003, while the Tigers pitching has regressed as a whole. Has the Tigers offense improved that much??????
Last edited by Seed Hitter
Well, I'll tell ya what, boys....you aren't going to find the Tigers on here throwin the trash like you guys are and I'm sure my son wouldn't want me doin it for him. You've got some great kids on your team so I'm sure you'll win your share of games this summer. And when the Tigers are all in uniform I'm sure they'll do the same. In the mean time, you boys, keep right on talkin! We'll just see ya at the ball park. Good luck, Bydabook, Baller, and Seedhitter!
To the Knights coach - You call it "friendly" banter. I call it empty trash. I'm surprised you aren't a little more concerned about the image they give the Knights organization. I won't be bothering with any more responses to your players, Coach. And I'm doubting the Tigers will either. See you at the ballpark, children.

Show some class, kids. You're a little mouthy. Save your energy for the field. I swear, bydabook, you are obsessed with the Tigers. LOL

Hats off to the Mustangs, Panthers, Patriots, FW CAts and others who keep the "friendly banter" on the field and let their sticks do the talking for them!
Let us try to keep it nice. I know that it can get heated. Let's try to keep it friendly. Calling people out is just flaming. The Tigers are a good organization and help their players get scholarships. Just like the others do. How good each is is not the most important thing. All these guys do a great service to their players. JMO
TXBBRocks

If you were at the three games last summer, you know my kids don't talk trash. They know I wont put up with it. Heath and I have known each other for some time, His kids dont talk it and niether do mine. As far as these guys on this site, you are holding me personally accountable for three loudmouths I dont even know.

My teams actions on the field are the only thing I can be responsible for. Having said that, we've never talked noise, had a kid ejected, or instigated any trouble in all my time coaching in bbi. I've never been tossed in a bbi connie mack game. Im taken aback that you would expect me to be responsible for these folks on here.

There have been many disagreements on this site about who has the better team, league, district, whatever. That is the banter I'm referring to. Not unlike the 9-5A, 12-5A, 5-5A discussions you have been apart of.

When our teams meet this summer, there wont be any trash comming from our dugout, of that you can be sure.

Corey Thornton
Book,

You're harsh. You struck a tender nerve with the bbi/aabc statement. Fact is, if rock and siz have been with the Tigers since 15, they have lost many battles to the Knights. As 15's they finished second in league play to the Knights, as 16's they won the BBI league only to lose in the aabc regional to the Knights. They went off and won the CABA world series only to come home to see the Knights won the Mickey Mantle World Series. The DMN had a 1/4 page write up on the Knights and a couple of lines about the Tigers. As 17's they lost three times to the Knights and got caught using an ineligble player and had the game protested on them. So it's understandable that they would be a little sensitive. Bookman be a sport and cut them some slack.
quote:
Originally posted by bydabook:
_Txbbrocks3 & Sizzle : the Tiger apologists.
_

You guys are always brag, brag, brag on the (Rockwall) Tigers until someone points out the fact that at the 16 & 18 year-old levels they are not the team to beat. Then you become an excuse machine...

we didn't have all of our players...
we were younger than the other team...
they had college players...
wait until next year...

Well, next year's here again. What have they accomplished in BBI or AABC over the last several years? Nada. No titles and no championships at the Mickey Mantle OR Connie Mack levels. That's not talking trash - that's fact. The Tigers are renowned for escaping in the post season to the second tier tournaments.

I'm wondering what the excuse will be this year? C'mon guys, be creative. Remember playing for second place isn't so bad. Best of the rest and then the Kitty Kats can run off to the Snooper Series....again.

If all these pitchers you named off in one of your earlier posts were such studs, you would think they could have made a little more noise in the playoffs. After all pitching wins, titles not hitting right? Why is it that the "Rockwall Tigers" with several pitchers from a "regressed Tigher pitching staff" is still alive, but the aforementioned Knights pitcher's schools all made a quick departure from the playoffs? It obviously cannot solely be Rockwall's hitting, since once again pitching wins championships- not hitting. You are contradicting yourself, yet again. Maybe Sawyer, VerHagen, Martin, and Bishop are better than you are giving them credit to be.

I know people from both teams, and if you ask me which pitching staff I would rather have, I would not hesitate with my answer. I have seen which players have bigger impacts on their high school teams, which shows what they can do when they aren't surrounded by unlimited talent. You take Linebaugh off Mesquite, they still don't make the playoffs. You take Sisk off of Henderson, and they still get eliminated early. Only exception in those pitcher are Matthews who did carry his team to where they went. So why don't you give credit where credit is due. Both teams have great pitching, but only one team has pitchers that are able to carry a team deep into the playoffs.
Last edited by Heater77
Seriously, why are all of you talking trash? I haven't once in this topic started trash talking about any teams in the DFW area. All I said was that I believe the Tigers are one of the best if not the best team in Dallas this year. True, the Tigers might not have all the "big name" pitchers this year, but I bet the pitchers they do have on that team will get the job done and win ball games. True, the Knights have come out on top in alot of big showdowns against the Tigers in the past...Yay for the Knights. That was 2 and 3 years ago. Who cares what happend the past few years. We'll all see what happens this summer. And Heater, your post makes almost too much sense. Good post!
Hey guys, I realize that there are some differing opinions on the Knights and Tigers but has it occurred to you that the coaches of these teams do not consider this to be such a big rivalry?

Ultimately, the goals of the Knights coaching staff are to get exposure for our players, play quality competition and compete successfully as far as we can go into AABC post-season play. I consider the Tigers to be quality competition and when teams of this caliber go head-to-head the outcomes can often be different each time. Competition can also cause tempers to rise but please use some discretion with the message boards. It’s neither fair nor productive to call out players here in a negative manner - especially when many of these kids’ parents frequent this message board.

For those interested, the Knights White play the Tigers 18 at Weatherford College on Friday, June 11th @ 9:00am and the teams meet again in a BBI game at Richland College on Thursday, June 17th @ 6:00pm. Come out and support both of the teams and enjoy some good Dallas baseball.
Don't count out the 18U Arlington Wizards....talked to a friend of mine that said the Wizards held the 18U Dallas Tigers to 4 runs in 2 seperate games this past weekend. They might give some teams all they can handle when thay start to hit the ball. I understand both games, 1 in pool and 1 in the championship of a DR richardson USSSA World Qualifier were a 4-0 win for the 18U Dallas Tigers.

By the way the 18U Arlington Wizards are comprised of all 17U players (class of 2005).
Last edited by Armchaircoach
Bob15,

Not sure if Stallions have the mustard to nab 6th spot in Mickey Mantle BBI. Knights 16 beat the Stallions tonight 10-0. 2 Knights pitchers combined to no-hit them in 6 innings.

baseballdad6

caught the eye .....what? Try typing, not hunt punching.

I saw 6 or seven boots and three or four overthrows including the right fielder almost hitting a fan. Now, the Patsies are gonna be formidable, that's for sure, with their staff and hitters. But come on, "eyecatching" pregame, nope. I saw at least three or four coaches there and they chatted the whole time....not even paying attention to pregame. IMO they came to watch Hancock pitch and could give a rat's behind about pregame.
Armchaircoach/Sizzle,

My 17yr old is on the Wizards. We were pretty happy with their play this weekend. We saw both Garrison on (ASU signee) and I think Ashwood (TCU signee) throw against us and we just couldn't get the ball into the gaps. We played pretty good defense though and our pitchers threw pretty well and kept them from going yard too many times. Fun weekend for all!

I'll double check with the coach and see if he minds me posting a complete roster here.
quote:
Originally posted by Seed Hitter:
Book,

You're harsh. You struck a tender nerve with the bbi/aabc statement. Fact is, if rock and siz have been with the Tigers since 15, they have lost many battles to the Knights. As 15's they finished second in league play to the Knights, as 16's they won the BBI league only to lose in the aabc regional to the Knights. They went off and won the CABA world series only to come home to see the Knights won the Mickey Mantle World Series. The DMN had a 1/4 page write up on the Knights and a couple of lines about the Tigers. As 17's they lost three times to the Knights and got caught using an ineligble player and had the game protested on them. So it's understandable that they would be a little sensitive. Bookman be a sport and cut them some slack.

Just curious, who was the ineligible player and was the protest upheld?
[QUOTE]Originally posted by sizzle:
yeah i heard the wizards aint half bad arm chair. who are the guys on that team this year, im sure they'll be even better next year when they arent playing a year under everybody.[/Q

Sizzle,
I'm 16 and on the 18u Wizards We are getting better each season. Even though we are younger than a lot of the guys we are holding our own.
quote:
Originally posted by Baller:
Hmmmph, Looks like the ballman might have been right posting Ingram's Kittys as a force in bbi. 11-4 over Dbat youngsters according to bbi site. NE1 see the game?

DBAT outhit the KittyKats 8-6, but starting pitcher walked leadoff and then proceeded to hit 4 batters in first two innings. Game over.
The Arlington Heat hosted a few teams this weekend for some games since Weatherford got rained out.

My thoughts after the last two days.

DBat is stronger and deaper than the Tigers. We tied DBat twice Friday, and DBat beat the Tigers Saturday. We also beat the Tigers Saturday.

I'm sure some will say that since these games didn't matter, that you can't judge anything by them.

Well, I disagree. DBat is still the 15 year old team in the metroplex to beat.

The McKinney Marshalls 16 have a good deap team as well, although we did beat them twice Saturday in close games.

The Arlington Heat is finally coming together as a team.
Knights 18 White -- 4, 7, 0
LH Cats ----------- 2, 0, 2

WP Brian Sisk (combined w/ Kiel Renfro for No Hitter)

2B Tony Langford, Tim Matthews
HR Ryan Reidel, Matthews

Knights 18 Black -- 10, 10, 1
Chaps -------------- 1, 3, 4

WP Tyler Herriage

2B Ethan Douglas (2)
3B Cole Standridge

Knights 18 Black---4, 7, 2
Tigers 18 ---------4, 5, 3

2B Brandon Bantz

Knights 16 -- 13, 17, 0
Twins -------- 0, 3, 2

WP - Collin Lofton

2B Jordan Walden
3B Mark Cahoon

Knights 16 ---12, 11, 0
Tigers 16 -----6, 6, 2

2B Jordan Gomez, Jordan Walden, Brian Holaday
3B Rob Matthews

A pretty good day for the Knights.
What an injustice. Arguably the three strongest teams in the 16u age group are DBAT 16, Tigers 16 and Knights 16. All three are entered in the Mickey Mantle World Series Qualifier this weekend. 16 teams have entered the tournament, 4 pools of 4. These three teams are all in the same pool. This travesty eliminates the double elimination factor for all three teams as they will only play once and only the pool winner will advance to the double elimination round. The tournament director randomly pulled this out of a hat? Unlikely, the odds are at least 500,000 to 1. Shameful.
Knight Coach,

While this is an injustice, it is hardly rare.

We've had that done to my son's teams for years. BBI has done it to us, Arc Park has done it to us, CABA and Super Series has done it to us.

I guess the lesson I learned from all these many years of my son playing select, is that the tournament director always has a hand in the outcome of his tournament.
I am 100% sure the tournament directors randomly picked teams and like it or not that is the way this happened. No slight of hand or "cherry pickin'" going on. Here's something else to consider, OK, the best team at this time of the season gets to advance and go to the MMWS; let us not forget that the AABC has other ways of getting to the MMWS. The other 2 teams will get another shot by going the state and regional tournament route at the end of the season. Look at it this way, FINALLY the DFW area will have a chance to send 2 big time teams to the MMWS. The AABC knew what they were doing when they did this. This will only help in the long run and the best teams will be represented. Ulike other tournaments where you can pay an entry fee and say you made it to the "World Series". Just my 2 cents worth from a 38 year veteran of the AABC who will be there to watch what happens this weekend.
Last edited by L.A.
quote:
Originally posted by Twinsdad:
I am 100% sure the tournament directors randomly picked teams and like it or not that is the way this happened. No slight of hand or "cherry pickin'" going on. .

I think you are wrong. The odds of all three of these teams being in ONE bracket are high, and if I were a math major instead of a computer science major, I would figure it for you. But it's over 1000-1.

The only way this could have happened is if the tournament director did this to try to favor everybody else out of this bracket.

The horrible part of this is that these 3 teams will have to use up thier pitching just to get out of the pool play. Making it easier to pick them off in double elimination.

I smell a rat.

But, as I said before, this is hardly rare. I wouldn't be suprised if they also have the worst schedule of games of all the brackets. Either splitting between early morning games and late night games, or having games that start at 10:00 pm one night and having to be back at the ball park for a 8:00am game the next day.

There are multiple ways tournament directors screw with you.

And on that note, I think I'll shut up, because I know of a few tournament directors that read this board.
KnightCoach,
Never Mind, I found the info. I was looking for.

TwinsDad,
Do you really believe what you said????
Did the McKinney Mavericks just randomly happen to be selected to be in the weakest pool?
No offense to the the Stallions,Redds,or Tx.Tigers
And did the McKinney Thunder just happen to be randomly selected to be in the pool with the 3 strongest teams in the tournament????
I also smell a RAT!!!!!
Tournament directors DO have the opportunity to affect the outcome of their tournament!!!And when they are associated with one of the orginizations in the tournament it does not look good when that team gets a favorable seeding!!!
Yes, I do believe what I said. I'm not saying that it couldn't happen either, I'm not a complete idiot. Although if you knew my profession you would think I was one for doing it. Smile However, from what I know about the people running the tournament it did not happen this time. If it did, I'll come back here correct myself. There is some bashing of people who aren't here to defend themselves so I thought I'd come to their aid. McKinney has been doing a pretty good job of running tournaments for over 30 years. If they weren't, AABC would have done something about it a long time ago instead of giving them the world series. Now, let's just pray this rain will go back for a bit so the fields will be ready to play. Alford should be just fine, Allen will be OK, however, North, well, that field needs some TLC. It's got a ton of potential, but it hasn't gotten enough love. You guys have a great day, be careful on the slick roads and maybe I'll run into you at the games this weekend.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.