Skip to main content

I have a 2022 who wants to play ball in college. He is definitely a victim of the covid epidemic from a recruiting pov. Trying this summer to get in front of some coaches from target schools and at target schools. I figured that it would be helpful to many here with similar goals and objectives rather than once every week or two checking out the websites of target schools to see if they have updated their camp tab on the website (almost zero have updated anything camp related).

My goal is to have people post camps/showcases that they think would be beneficial to 2022/2023/2024 grads hoping to get looks, in some cases spend some time around staff or coaches from a specific team(s), and getting some coaching is a bonus. Ideally one will post at least some of the following:

1. The camp/showcase (maybe a link to the website/signup)

2. The college(s)/schools at the camp.

3. Past experiences, current experiences, etc.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Most here are aware of Showball & Headfirst camps. If you are a lurker they are both "high academic" camps that feature D1, D2, & D3 coaches. The campers are generally higher academic kids (at least a 3.0 unweighted GPA with some rigor and also 26+ ACT or equivalent SAT) and the schools represented are generally schools that one would need at least those types of academic chops to get in...often MUCH higher grades and scores.

Both organizations have camps across the country (mostly east and some west coast) and you can see most schools and coaches that will attend their camps on the website. Both camps are for 2 days and generally have a showcase the day prior with 60 times, positional velo, BP/Tee velo, fielding reps, and live batting practice. Day 2 is generally one long game (12 innings) or two shorter games. I believe that snowball bats 5 hitters per inning and also starts at bats with 1-1 counts.  There are opportunities to connect with most coaches in attendance and at the end of the camp a coach will give you an evaluation or some feedback on the kid.

Parents shouldn't assume that Head First and other high academic camps are wrong for kids who are not academic superstars. Yes, many if not most there are schools with low admit rates, but there are plenty of others that attend, like Washington College in MD, for example, with higher admit rates.  90% in WC's case.

See who's going where and act accordingly.

Also, don't assume that your player will only be recruited by coaches he's had contact with. Sure, emails and videos are a great idea, but a kid who does well at these events will likely end up being recruited by schools that are not even on his radar. Mine did.

@2022NYC posted:

What area are you from? There are several in the Northeast corridor.

We are from Minnesota but will be playing tourneys in ATL, KC, IND, and MKE. In our case we are willing to travel for the right camps and showcases but the thread is for us and any other 22s, 23s, & 24’s hoping to be in front of certain schools.

Please tell me/us about some of the Northeast corridor camps/showcases that you know, have heard, or look interesting to you. There are a bunch of schools that might be on a kids radar that are not in many places. On the east coast schools like Army, Navy, UCONN, Fordham, Villanova, Wofford, Elon, William & Mary, Emory, Milsaps,  to name a few.

In the middle of the country schools like Miami of Ohio, Butler, Tulane, Rhodes, Washington U (St Louis), etc.

A whole bunch of schools on the west coast too...

Last edited by used2lurk

Spider Baseball Camps (University of Richmond)

The "North to South Academic Prospect Camp" August 3-5, 2021 appears to be their big camp with multiple teams/coaches. Cost is $399 for one day to $899 for all 3 days. "25+ schools" from D1-D3 + NAIA in attendance with several big names and is a fairly diverse group. Feels like a money grab (like many) but looks like some value to be had if schools like Harvard, Yale, Lehigh, Lafayette, High Point, Swarthmore, Hamilton, and more are on your list of targets.

Your last comments just made me remember this.  My son went to the Vanderbilt prospect camp twice (which was easily the best camp he ever attended). Outside of the Vanderbilt staff, they have 15-20 coaches from other schools that help run it every year.  Many have done it 10 years+.  They are typically smaller schools.  I specifically remember that the Tulane rc was there.  I can't find a list of all that attend, but I know that coach was my son's team coach that week.  Outside of recruiting, it is a great experience in seeing how a quality program is run.  Things are scheduled to the minute, a high bar to put other schools up against.

@JCG posted:

Also, don't assume that your player will only be recruited by coaches he's had contact with. Sure, emails and videos are a great idea, but a kid who does well at these events will likely end up being recruited by schools that are not even on his radar. Mine did.

Was that pre covid?

My  opinion, just like in this years season as programs stayed close to home, many coaches might be recruiting close to home.

@baseballhs posted:

Your last comments just made me remember this.  My son went to the Vanderbilt prospect camp twice (which was easily the best camp he ever attended). Outside of the Vanderbilt staff, they have 15-20 coaches from other schools that help run it every year.  Many have done it 10 years+.  They are typically smaller schools.  I specifically remember that the Tulane rc was there.  I can't find a list of all that attend, but I know that coach was my son's team coach that week.  Outside of recruiting, it is a great experience in seeing how a quality program is run.  Things are scheduled to the minute, a high bar to put other schools up against.

Other divisions and unpaid assistants can attend D1 college camps to assist. I think scouts can as well.

We're in the midwest.  Every D1 within a 5-hour drive radius of here matches what @Senna said above.  We're close to the Jayhawk JUCO conference country and some of those programs are doing them now as well.  Not a ton of D2, D3 and NAIA in the area, but I suspect the ones that are, will be rolling them out a little later.  I'd expect to see quite a bit more pop up over the next 6ish weeks give or take.  Unpaid assistants need to eat and uncommitted 2022s around here are chomping at the bit.  Never let a good crisis go to waste?

If you are an uncommitted 21, 22, 23 your target better be one of 2 places : Juco or D3.  D1 & D2 schools (for the most part) aren’t recruiting HS players right now. They are recruiting JuCo guys and transfers. Here is a quote from a D1 mid-major RC/PC from earlier today : “why would we look at HS guys when there are more proven college players available than ever before?”
   If you aspire to play D1 or D2 ball it’s going to be an uphill climb all the way. Go JuCo, play for 2 years, and then see how things stack up. That means target JuCo prospect camps - which are usually on campus.
   If D3 is the right fit for you then own that decision early on and target  D3 prospect camps. Head First, Showball, Play to Win, etc. are good places to look.
   The odds are really bad if you stay the course on the traditional path. If you recognize what has happened and adjust your approach accordingly your odds will be much better.

You can always count on @adbono to punch you right in the gut with hard truths!  And that's why I think he's one of the very best people here to sincerely listen to.  Far too many people keep pumping kids up with sugar when what they really need is kale.  Hope is not a strategy.  Veteran college players and roster sizes don't care about how well you believe in yourself.  Or how from age 4 through 18, you always rose to the top on every team you were on.  It's time to Vegas this thing.  Play the odds; not the dream. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.